Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Lars Eller signs extenstion (5 years, $3.5M AAV)

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
that must be a montreal thing cause hes been incredible on the caps

What exactly is "incredible"? His ability to turn the outside with the puck and get to the other side halfboards and blindly spin it around toward the net (never any points, but padding dat corsi !!), or his mediocre work on the 2nd pk unit (dat defence!!)?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You should stick to the Pens. Johansson was a passenger that padded his stats playing with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, etc. in the top six and first PP, and dissapeared every playoffs. Eller carries his own line and plays a much better two-way game well not benefitting from playing with Ovechkin, Backstrom, etc. and the first PP. Comparing apples to oranges.

I just don't know why the Caps had to give term and money. That's all. This guy had one good playoff run with Montreal and everything else has been shit. He hit 30 points once. In the last 25 playoff games he has one goal. He's a 50% faceoff guy. And I clearly get to watch a lot of Washington games as we are always in a race with one another.

I'm not saying he isn't solid or worth a signing, but he damn sure isn't worth 5 years. This guy hasn't done anything to deserve 5 years. I think Washington could have easily moved on or held out if the player ask was 5 years.

Not trying to discredit the player entirely, but there is not a single thing that jumps out that makes this guy a must-sign with that term/money.

Jan 21, 2018
3.5M is not what it used to be. Put it this way, he's making 7M less than Toews. Or 2M less than a comparable player in Zajac.

I think it's fair value for his prime years.

Great logic. Lets justify this bad contract by comparing it with two albatross contracts.

I guess Eller could have signed 5x5 and it still would have looked great in comparison.

Jan 21, 2018
I just don't know why the Caps had to give term and money. That's all. This guy had one good playoff run with Montreal and everything else has been ****. He hit 30 points once. In the last 25 playoff games he has one goal. He's a 50% faceoff guy. And I clearly get to watch a lot of Washington games as we are always in a race with one another.

I'm not saying he isn't solid or worth a signing, but he damn sure isn't worth 5 years. This guy hasn't done anything to deserve 5 years. I think Washington could have easily moved on or held out if the player ask was 5 years.

Not trying to discredit the player entirely, but there is not a single thing that jumps out that makes this guy a must-sign with that term/money.

Don't bother. Nothing you say will make them understand that Eller isn't worth 5 years. Unfortunately sometimes being a fan of your team clouds your judgement, so you can't evaluate player worth as clearly as others.

Reactions: ColePens

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Lots of folks on here acting like strong 3Cs are a dime a dozen. They're not. They're not as scarce as great 1Cs, but they're harder to come by than people think. The Caps were without one for a long time until Eller got here. With this deal, (and there's no NTC, NMC, or buyout restrictions in the contract) the Caps have their 1, 2, and 3 centermen locked up long term. That gives them a lot of stability and certainty around which to make other deals that boost the roster in areas of need.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I just don't know why the Caps had to give term and money. That's all. This guy had one good playoff run with Montreal and everything else has been ****. He hit 30 points once. In the last 25 playoff games he has one goal. He's a 50% faceoff guy. And I clearly get to watch a lot of Washington games as we are always in a race with one another.

I think Eller's boxcars will start to catch up with his on-ice performance. He's on pace for a career best in goals, assists, points, and SOG. Montreal was a tirefire for him and he had no consistency in the lineup. This is his 2nd year in Washington and it's clear he feels comfortable and is growing as a player, especially offensively.

I always feel good when Eller is on the ice. He tilts play in the Caps favor no matter who his linemates are. He's a great skater, can protect the puck well, and is one of the best PKers on the team. To get a player that's as solid as he is and seemingly still improving through his prime UFA years for no raise on his current cap hit is pretty appeasing to me.

Also, the Caps have terrible center depth organizationally. Really no one in the pipeline with 3C potential. If Lars left they'd have to sign another C or make a trade for one. I'm more than OK with the decision they made here.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Recent 3rd line center deal

Bonino signed a 4 years deal worth 4.1M$ per year

Eller got 1 more year and less money

I think it's a fair deal

Player A - highest ever point total: 30.
Player B - highest ever point total: 49

Player A - 1 goal in his last 25 playoff games
Player B - has a history of being a playoff performer (2 time champ)

I mean come on. That is a terrrrrrible argument.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I get you caps fans are going to get defensive about this because he's your boy but he is pretty useless and i've watched a lot him over the years. was very happy to see him gone
You clearly haven't watched him recently. Here's his basic stat line on the year:

GPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTGSS%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He's better than .75 PPG while taking the toughest D assignments. Totally worth this deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holtbyisms

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
My God, he's only 28, you guys regurgitating the first few people who brought up term is hilarious. He's going to be 33 when it ends. Term is perfect and at that price, heck yeah. Great for him because it gives him security now and the chance for one last big payday when he's a FA. Great for DC cause they now have their center depth secured long term after spending years trying to find a 3C before Lars.

Jan 21, 2018
Recent 3rd line center deal

Bonino signed a 4 years deal worth 4.1M$ per year

Eller got 1 more year and less money

I think it's a fair deal

Nashville signed that deal because they were desperate for a #2C in case RyJo went down in the playoffs, they lost the cup because they had no center depth.

And then Bonino was either injured or didn't perform well, hence the need to trade for a real #2C in Turris.

If Nashville had the opportunity to sign Bonino right now to a contract, do you think he gets 4x4? Not a chance.

Bonino is now an overpaid #3C, just like Eller.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Player A - highest ever point total: 30.
Player B - highest ever point total: 49

Player A - 1 goal in his last 25 playoff games
Player B - has a history of being a playoff performer (2 time champ)

I mean come on. That is a terrrrrrible argument.

Your argument is terrible
Eller is on pace for 43 pts

Bonino got 37 pts last year before signing that deal

I dont know why we should consider his 49 pts season that happened in 2013-2014 more than what he's produce lately.

BTW Eller is a also a playoff performer

Anyway it's not a Bonino vs Eller debate.

Im just saying that 3rd line center are easily worth 3M+ contract.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
term is too long, but price is good likely took term in exchange for lower average.

deals like this wont kill anyone for a player like this regardless of deterioration of level of play.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I get you caps fans are going to get defensive about this because he's your boy but he is pretty useless and i've watched a lot him over the years. was very happy to see him gone

Lol a lot of habs fans also share the opinion that lars would be our best Center right now . Hes obviously better than shaw I don't see how you can try to debate that he's not

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Don't bother. Nothing you say will make them understand that Eller isn't worth 5 years. Unfortunately sometimes being a fan of your team clouds your judgement, so you can't evaluate player worth as clearly as others.

Why exactly isn’t he worth 5 years? He’s targeting 40pts this year. Let’s just say he’s a 30-40pts player, who is terrific at possession and is good at PK. He’s also starting to become a force on PP2. He can play with a variety of wingers.

He will be 33 when year 5 starts of the contract. Sal Cap is going nowhere but up. Probably will be well north of 90m by then, maybe even 100m. That’s a bad $$ number for a 3c?

You Pens fans are spoiled. Plain and simple. What do you think Riley Sheahan’s next contract will look like? Prob around 3m a year for 3-4years. Eller is better all around player than Sheahan.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Sounds good. Looks like recent roster moves have worked out well for the Habs so I'm glad you're happy.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I know that Montreal fans don't like Eller because of RDS, but it's a super deal. And if the cap goes up until, 82, it will be even better. In fact he keeps the same cap hit.

When you don't bounce him from winger to center, from 2nd to 3rd line, like Montreal did, he'll be a very good player with confidence, our best PK duo with Wilson. driver of the 3rd line. He's also the QB of the PP2

Really happy.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I'm a Caps fan and I live in Montreal, which means I got to see Eller since 2011. His performance last year was in line with his performance in Montreal, but he absolutely took a step forward this year. He's scoring goals, defending well, keeping possession for us and he has great stamina. He's not a flashy player but remember we have Backstrom and Kuznetsov ahead of him.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad