Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Lars Eller signs extenstion (5 years, $3.5M AAV)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
his mediocre work on the 2nd pk unit (dat defence!!)?

Calling Eller's PK work medicore instantly reveals you haven't been watching him on the Caps. Eller/Wilson has been nothing short of phenomenal on the PK this year (and last). They give up around 50% fewer goals and shots against than the Beagle/Chiasson pairing, and hold up well in league-wide comparisons as well. It's painfully obvious how effective they are on the PK when you watch them, as they're routinely pushing the puck deep into the opponents zone and denying zone entries with tenacious forechecking.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I’ve agreed with the term of every caps contract under Leonsis of people not named Brooks

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
He looks like a different player this year. Full of confidence. For all the years we couldn't fill the #2C spot, now we've locked our #3 for a while. (But God help us in '22-'23 -- these extensions are gonna burn..)

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Sorry for the marc bargainbin apologists sabotaging this thread by bashing this contract. It's a very good contract. Let those apologists find excuses for their awful franchise as they hit the links again. Eller will be impressive in the playoffs too!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wasn't he considered a cap dump type player a year ago? So now they tag on another contract at 5 years and basically same term?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Uhh he is having a career season - But is that enough to assume that he's going to stay at this level for the next 5 years?

He regresses back to norm and this is a lot of money and term for a lower level 3rd liner.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Lol "intense"
Since when did taking dumb penalties become a positive? Sounds like something a bargainbin apologist would resort to. Eller has always been a good player. And he's always stepped up in the playoffs. This is the first time he's been getting consistent pp time and he's been racking up pts. Eller has pretty much become Mikael backlund. Always felt he could become this kind of player. Happy for him.

I wouldn't compare Eller to Backlund, Backlund is a Selke candidate, and plays against players like Ovi and McDavid and Laine.
More like Lowry, Zajac, Letustu

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
He looks like a different player this year. Full of confidence. For all the years we couldn't fill the #2C spot, now we've locked our #3 for a while. (But God help us in '22-'23 -- these extensions are gonna burn..)
Our team is gonna look like you're watching f***ing Cocoon...

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Do people seriously think Eller is going to be washed up at 32-33 years old? He didn't get any raise from current salary and the cap will continue to grow. 3.5 in 5 years will be like what 2.5mil is now. A good 3C isn't some random bottom 6 player. It's one of the most important forward positions on the team. I'd rather have a quality 3C than having high end 2nd line wingers. The Caps don't really draft and develop Centers well anyway. Backstrom and Kuz the only top 6C in the last 25 years.

Reactions: discobob

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Regardless of how good he's been this year, it's rarely a smart move to give a 29 y/o role player that much term. I'll give it two years tops before the caps are trying to retain salary to move him

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
What ?

Are you applying for a white house job ?

LOL are you gonna deny that french media didint bash him solely to keep dd 'a precious Cinderella first line C career intact? Lolol im French Canadian and i can call out unwarranted hate when I see it you should also be able to do it

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lars Eller is 28. Not 29.
Eller was worth his money last season. He would get a nice raise on the open market. If he regresses back to last season, he remains worth his money.
I am not at all sure why giving a role player that fits in and should be able to produce at a steady level thru that term is a mistake to lock him up?
Continuity has value. Changing out your 3C every two years because you can keep the quality level the same doesn't mean the overall effect is the same. Those different players can be better worse than you hoped. They can get along better or worse in the locker room than you thought. Stability is important.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Surprised at the negative opinions - seems like a good deal for the team. He's a good #3C, and not getting a raise when his last deal was already fair?

Term doesn't worry me much given his age at the end is only 33. Would have preferred 4 yrs, but its not a big concern.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
I get you caps fans are going to get defensive about this because he's your boy but he is pretty useless and i've watched a lot him over the years. was very happy to see him gone

Lol, yeah if only you kept watching him play since he joined Wsh, then you'd actually have a leg to stand on...

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
LOL are you gonna deny that french media didint bash him solely to keep dd 'a precious Cinderella first line C career intact? Lolol im French Canadian and i can call out unwarranted hate when I see it you should also be able to do it
1. You might want to reconstruct that bolded sentence (and that's from a French-Canadian).

2. Desharnais and Eller never were in competition for the same job.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
What isn't getting a lot of play in this thread is how well Eller's style ages. He doesn't rely on athleticism or physicality, his game is entirely built on his hockey IQ, his passing vision, and strong fundamentals, AKA things that age well.

There are a lot of players in this league who are tendered extensions for play that realistically they will not be able to sustain as they age. Barring injury, Eller is a guy who can play in the league for a very long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad