Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Lars Eller signs extenstion (5 years, $3.5M AAV)

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Nice to have some stability down the middle long term, but I am always wary of comitting long term to bottom 6/pairing players.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Nice to have some stability down the middle long term, but I am always wary of comitting long term to bottom 6/pairing players.

well if they do what half the caps board wants to do and trade backstrom then he wont be a bottom 6 for long hahaah

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think Eller did a Järnkrok, went with so much term he could instead of making highest salary,
Holy moly, that Jarnkrok contract has got to be one of the best contract's in the league. That's a hell of a lot of production for 2 million long term.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Why is there a NTC/NMC too?

giphy.gif

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
This is exactly what I was going to say. I'm not here just to poop on Washington. A few of their fans can tell you I have defended them a lot in the past. This one is just... strange. That player is replaceable so at best give a small term contract. If another team wants to spend 3.5, let them.

Or better yet - just keep Mojo for 1m more and less term and you control your salary issues.

If Caps were to turn around and put Eller on the trade market today, Pens would be all over it. Pens fans would be praising your GM for finding a great and cheap long-term solution to your #3 center problem.

I cannot argue with what you said about Mojo. MacLellan ballsed that up pretty good.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
when you watch him play and then you observe his recorded point totals it's kinda like 'wait what, a 20-30 point guy?'. he's a solid player who can carry the puck into the zone regularly and the analytics love him. you'd think he was closer to a 50 point guy than a 30 point guy but he just doesn't really score despite being a pretty solid driver of play.

good AAV although who knows where washington will be 4-5 years from now.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Jan 21, 2018
This post tells me you didnt watch him play a single minute of hockey in his Caps tenure.

Agreed. If he watched him play a single minute he would realize he isn't worth that contract and would be be ecstatic that he's locked in for 5 YEARS with the caps.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Agreed. If he watched him play a single minute he would realize he isn't worth that contract and would be be ecstatic that he's locked in for 5 YEARS with the caps.

3.5 is less than 5% of the total salary cap which only goes up per year. You don't think Eller is worth that? Sounds like you are the one who hasn't watched a single minute of him.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I do not understand the length on this one- I doubt it was necessary to get this deal done on that term - 3 years is still a stretch for a player like this IMO - if Caps fans like it then great for you guys..

Jan 21, 2018
3.5 is less than 5% of the total salary cap which only goes up per year. You don't think Eller is worth that? Sounds like you are the one who hasn't watched a single minute of him.

LOL heard the same thing when Matt Martin signed with the leafs.

Why do people automatically resort to that logic when trying to defend a bad contract?

It's not the end of the world, every team has bad signings. I don't know why caps fans are getting so defensive, there are several posts from non-biased fans that agree the term is bad.

I don't know why I bother, caps fans will see what they want to see. I guess we'll just have to look back at these posts and laugh when Eller gets bought out. I hope this one will be as entertaining as the Brendan Smith thread!

Jan 21, 2018
I do not understand the length on this one- I doubt it was necessary to get this deal done on that term - 3 years is still a stretch for a player like this IMO - if Caps fans like it then great for you guys..

Agreed, 3 years is pushing it, definitely the max he should have gotten.

Which is scary if you think about it. How much do you think the caps would have given him if it was only 3 years...4M+ AAV?

Yikes. Bad contract indeed.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Eller is a possession monster, he's great defensively, and is their best penalty killer along with Wilson. Even when he's not putting up points he brings a lot of value.

I really don't see how a lot of Montreal fans disliked him so much. In Washington, he's been a guy who can drive the 3rd line regardless of linemates.

Media constantly bashed him here. MTL likes meat and potatoes players .Eller is a beast at possesion and great in the playoffs. Would be the best C on the habs:help::help:

Reactions: Handela

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad