Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Justin Schultz signs with the Capitals (2 years, $4M AAV)

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
WOW what a treat to be a Pens fan today...

First Jack Johnson to the Rangers now Schultz to the Caps.

Good luck, sadly JJ might be better than Schultz at this point...that's how atrocious he truly is.

Reactions: ericstrat1

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The $ amount is obviously too high but at least the term is short. Hope he regains his 2017 form. I thought he played really well as Letang's substitution that year.

Unfortunately for those who've watched JS for these years knows he can't. Injuries, specifically his broken ankle, has crippled his game.

He cannot defend and has lost his offensive acumen. Which sucks cause he had turned his career around for a split second.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Contracts like this make me think that professional "scouts" don't actually scout anything. It's a guessing game to them.

Schultz brings NOTHING positive. Literally zero. He's a shadow of what he was in 2017.

As a Pens fan I LOVE that he signed in DC.
Yep. Any time he is on the ice. Sid or Geno need to go over the boards.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Murphy, Gonchar, Brent Johnson, etc,

Weird, it’s almost like this is a league where players end up on multiple teams.
Yea and teams that face each other a lot get familiar with their players. I doubt caps sign Hagelin if they didn't have an up close view for two consecutive series. Just how the league works.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yea and teams that face each other a lot get familiar with their players. I doubt caps sign Hagelin if they didn't have an up close view for two consecutive series. Just how the league works.

Hagelin faced the Caps so many times in the playoffs lol. Not just with Pittsburgh, also faced the Caps 3 times with the Rangers. That's 5 playoff series against the Caps!

Reactions: Luigi Lemieux

ericstrat1

Oct 29, 2010
Love it. For the Penguins fans. Dude had some great years in Pittsburgh. Then his game fell off a cliff, worse than when he was in Edmonton.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Malkin hit free agency?

That Malkin guy was holding back Schultz and Jack Johnson. Other GM's were able to analyze this and pounce to get these diamonds.

Poor penguins stuck with Malkin. Guy can barely tie his laces anymore. Sad.

Yikes! I thought it was 2M AAV for 2 years...its 4M?
here-it-comes-d25c1394e0.jpg

Reactions: GreeningOil

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
You're not actually serious about your implication that Malkin was one of the biggest reasons why the Penguins lost, are you?
4GP, 0G, 1A, 1P, -3 in just over 20:00 ATOI and his head was lodged up his own asshole for most of the series and you're telling me he wasn't? The Penguins looked bad for the most part, nobody individually gave the series away, but if you wanted to start pointing fingers I expect more heavy lifting out of Malkin than I do from Schultz or Johnson. I'm not going to be too hard on him because it's bubble hockey after a weird layoff, other good players didn't look right, but that's where my eyes were during those games.

I'm not happy with Schultz coming to Washington but that's a guy doing about what you expected him to do (also after a layoff). Schultz and Johnson aren't your go-to guys to break the shutout in Game 4, and ideally the team would average more than 2 goals per game before I start looking at my third(?) pair and blaming them for dropping the series.

Reactions: crab

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
Malkin was garbage this playoffs. But yeah, Schultz sucks ass. Bad signing for the Caps.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Contracts like this make me think that professional "scouts" don't actually scout anything. It's a guessing game to them.

Schultz brings NOTHING positive. Literally zero. He's a shadow of what he was in 2017.

As a Pens fan I LOVE that he signed in DC.

It's like the human mind romanticizes the prospect of a first chance to bounce back on a new team almost no matter what happens.

It's like clockwork, players ride on past accomplishments until they fail on their new team. Montreal signs Alzner despite the fact he was very clearly declining on the Caps and got less and less ice time. Pittsburgh signs Johnson despite the fact he was sitting in the stands down the stretch claiming it wasn't because of his play when it clearly was. Go down the list.

Im not surprised at all. Teams buy the opportunity, instead of giving it.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Malkin was garbage this playoffs. But yeah, Schultz sucks ass. Bad signing for the Caps.

Malkin played the entire playoffs with an injured elbow that required surgery.

He has also played the last few years and will play the rest of his hockey career with a bum shoulder, because the surgery will end his career so he will do it after he retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad