Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] - John Carlson 8yr/64m (8mAAV)

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
How on Earth is he a top-10 defenseman in the league?
Members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association voted Carlson as a top-5 defenseman for the 2017-2018 season. Carlson received more than twice as many points as the next candidate. No player received more 4th place votes and only Hedman, Doughty, and Subban received more 1st place votes.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
gotta overpay. he was a huge reason the caps won the cup and he's only 28. people laugh at the deal but if the capacity don't pay someone does.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Awesome D , puts up points but don’t agree with the “plays all situations “ thing.
He was somewhat sheltered in defensive zone starts and is not a shut-down , playing vs. other teams top line with < minute left in the game, type of D.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
So who's the best ufa defenseman at this point?
Probably Calvin De Haan and as such he is going to be way overpaid.

Also and Isles fans may be able to clear this up. But I heard because of his previous injuries it will be very hard to get his contract insured.

I like CDH but who ever signs him may grow to regret it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Too much money

Averaging .55 PPG for his career. He's only ever finished in the top 10 in Norris voting once - and that was a 10th place finish

Kudos to his agent!

EDIT: Hockey Reference doesn't have his Norris finish listed for this year
John Carlson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Thanks to those of you who pointed out he finished 5th this season

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Probably Calvin De Haan and as such he is going to be way overpaid.

Also and Isles fans may be able to clear this up. But I heard because of his previous injuries it will be very hard to get his contract insured.

I like CDH but who ever signs him may grow to regret it.

Yes, that’s the understanding. I can’t recall where it was reported though.

That fact might benefit a big cash generating team like the Leafs.

If he IS injured he can go on LTIR and his team could still receive the benefits of cap relief. However, insurance wouldn’t be there to pay out the cash. That would still have to come from the organization.

So to summarize, I can see a low salary team being reluctant to pay for him. Leaving only the big clubs to compete for him.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Literally every deal signed this offseason will be an “overpayment” according to HFBoards.

You guys are ridiculous. There is always a way to get out of a bad contract down the road. It’s not rocket science. The Avs just traded for Brooks f***ing Orpik

“Damn, the Sharks got a time machine and signed prime Gretzky for $11M AAV over 7 years??? I mean he’s a good player but that’ll look bad in the future!” Get over yourselves. This isn’t your NHL 18 career mode. These players deserve the slight “overpayments” for all the pain they endure

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Geez I came in here to say I think it’s a good deal and see I’m definitely in the minority. He’s a great dman. Him along with Orlov, Niskanen and Kempny provides a solid top 4 for the foreseeable future to go with Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Wilson, Vrana, Burakovsky, Eller up front and Samsonov and Holtby in goal.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Damn, seems like there's a lot of people bitter for Carlson resigning with his team. Term is two years longer than it should but AAV is reasonable. I wonder when Tavares signs, people will say that his contract is a huge blunder and whatnot...

Reactions: OviTaughtMe

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Lots of people are bashing the term but lots of defencemen play their best hockey between 30-35. Positional awareness and puck management are far more important traits than skating for a defenceman. Plus most players don’t lose that much speed until their late 30s especially with the way athletes take care of their bodies these days. I think it’s a very fair deal for a very good player.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Apparently second pairing defenseman lead their team in TOI now?

What on earth did people think Carlson was going to get?
At even strength Orlov/Niskanen are the TOI leaders and get tougher matchups. Carlson is certainly not a top pairing D man in the classical sense of the word, if you want to argue that he is being used as one.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
At even strength Orlov/Niskanen are the TOI leaders and get tougher matchups. Carlson is certainly not a top pairing D man in the classical sense of the word, if you want to argue that he is being used as one.
Carlson's ESTOI and matchup were hugely influenced by his partners this season. He played with kids until the deadline. When Alzner had functioning hands, he and Carlson were the shutdown pairing for the Caps.

Carlson is every bit of a #1 defenseman.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think Hamilton and Carlson are on a similar level, and 3 years of Hamilton at $5.75M was just traded for a lot. Got to pay for D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad