Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] - John Carlson 8yr/64m (8mAAV)

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I didn’t realize Carlson’s underlying numbers throughout his career were so rough. Still if I was the Capitals I would have done this deal. You just won a cup and he was a major contributor. He also is a right handed dman which is about as rare as a first line center, you can’t let those guys walk in free agency.
Idk why people think he’s good defensively he’s really not

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
?

Outside of game 5 orlov was arguably the best Caps player that series

And? Carlson was still very good and was easily the best defenseman across all 4 series.

This meme that he's bad defensively can't die fast enough. He's almost as underrated defensively as Hedman is overrated.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And? Carlson was still very good and was easily the best defenseman across all 4 series.

This meme that he's bad defensively can't die fast enough. He's almost as underrated defensively as Hedman is overrated.
Yike @ Hedman being overrated, analytics and eye test point to him being a top 2 dman in the world.

And I never said Carlson was bad defensively. He’s not. He’s just not good defensively either. He’s fine defensively.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Idk why people think he’s good defensively he’s really not

I'm not gonna lie I sort of agree but this season man did Carlson step up. Maybe it was to get paid or maybe things finally clicked with Reirden?

All I know is during the playoffs it was the first time in his entire career I thought he was a true 1A dman.

Time will tell I guess.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
Yike @ Hedman being overrated, analytics and eye test point to him being a top 2 dman in the world.

And I never said Carlson was bad defensively. He’s not. He’s just not good defensively either. He’s fine defensively.

Hes good no doubt but he looked awful the whole series against Washington.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD

Hedman was the worst defensive player in the series. If you want a pull n when it counts over a guy putting the puck in the net then good luck with the Bolts being what the Caps used to be.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Hedman was the worst defensive player in the series. If you want a pull n when it counts over a guy putting the puck in the net then good luck with the Bolts being what the Caps used to be.
Hedman was decidedly not the worst defensive player in the series. He was probably Tampa’s 2nd best dman after Sergachev. The worst defensive player in the series was likely Girardi, though no one stood out as awful.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He’s just not good defensively either. He’s fine defensively.

these two statements conflict. I wont be changing your mind but Carlson and Karl Alzner were the Caps shutdown pair for years. As is the rule defensemen get better as they gain experience and Carlson has only gotten better. He is the only all situations defenseman on the team. To say he is not good defensively is just a load of brown stew. The Caps had Mike Green. They know what not good defensively looks like.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Hedman was decidedly not the worst defensive player in the series. He was probably Tampa’s 2nd best dman after Sergachev. The worst defensive player in the series was likely Girardi, though no one stood out as awful.

Sergachev looked horrendous to me. I thought Stralman was good. Hedman was fine too. McDonagh and Serg looked bad in that series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad