Proposal: WSH - CGY

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's an interesting conversation to have. The Caps are set at center so unless there's a corresponding move to ship out one of Backstrom, Kuznetsov, or Eller then Monahan is of no use. I'm also not trading 23 year old Tom Wilson for 35 year old Mark Giordano and his $6.75 cap hit until he's, what, 38? 39? And if Carlson resigns, what use do they have for Hamilton? If you're throwing names out in a vacuum then of course there are more pieces on the Flames than Tkachuk that have tons of value that would be attractive in a trade but there aren't a ton of pieces that fit Washington's needs or cap structure.
Even if it doesn't address your needs, you still take the best player available in either a trade or in a draft. The Flyers picked Provorov in the 2015 draft when they had an abundance of defensive prospects and not really anyone on the forward end. Look at how that turned out. If you get one of those high end players in Calgary, one of your players can become expendable. The fact that you are somewhat justifying what the previous poster said is laughable.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
2016-17- 22 year old Tom Wilson: 7-12-19 in 82 games

2016-17 31 year old Troy Brouwer: 13-12-25 in 74 games.

Was he 'siphoning' points from Ovi in Calgary too?
Ah, now do the adjustment for PP points. It would appear that Brouwer exchanged one golden goose for another and is still siphoning points just from a different tap. Considering that for HIS CAREER Tom Wilson has 1PP goal and 2 PP assists he’s not benefitting from the same corcunstances. But in the end what does any of that matter you were always talking out your a** to begin with.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Suggesting a 21 year old won't ever improve, is extremely moronic. He might not live up to his draft position but that doesn't mean he won't be a serviceable play, because contrary to your opinion, he is that.

Where did I say he wasn't serviceable? He is. And that's not good.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Suggesting a 21 year old won't ever improve, is extremely moronic. He might not live up to his draft position but that doesn't mean he won't be a serviceable play, because contrary to your opinion, he is that.
This is an interesting take from you.

I wonder if you share you’re fellow Flames fan’s view that 24 year olds have peaked?

Wilson will never break 30 points again. Easy, easy no from me.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
This is an interesting take from you.

I wonder if you share you’re fellow Flames fan’s view that 24 year olds have peaked?
I don’t think it’s a matter of peaking, more like being slightly more talented than Maroon. Very useful with cap restraints and elite players, with targets on their backs. Probably good for 40 points, when coupled with the right players, but like Maroon, it only works until the contract demands get to high.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
And he had 5 points in 41 games in the playoffs prior to this season.

He's Zach Hyman with a tough guy complex. Good role player, but massively overrated by Capital fans.

Agree to disagree.

Never knew you guys hated Troy Brouwer so much though, sounds like the Caps version of David Backes.
im universally disliked by cap fans, but you have no idea who tom wilson is. he isnt overated in the slightest, he is impossible to over rate because his entire game isnt about points, his game is all about winning.

just Like Gio is in calgary, thats Tom Wilson, a guy you know is gonna do whatever he can to win, because in his world THATS ALL THAT MATTERS

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
im universally disliked by cap fans, but you have no idea who tom wilson is. he isnt overated in the slightest, he is impossible to over rate because his entire game isnt about points, his game is all about winning.

just Like Gio is in calgary, thats Tom Wilson, a guy you know is gonna do whatever he can to win, because in his world THATS ALL THAT MATTERS

Except one guy plays at an elite level for his position and the other guy rides shotgun on a very, very, talented top line (see: Maroon).

But other than that, yeah, almost identical.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Except one guy plays at an elite level for his position and the other guy rides shotgun on a very, very, talented top line (see: Maroon).

But other than that, yeah, almost identical.
Except you still don't get it.It has nothing to do with being elite or not being elite. It has to do with getting the most out of your abilities. It's like Tom Wilson isn't close to as talented as Bennett is but Bennett isn't half the player Wilson is. Because Wilson like Gio gives everything he has to be the best player he can be, even if he isn't as skilled as Bennett is. While Bennett who despite being much more skilled is wasting his talent being less than he should be.. You can say he's more talented all you like but if he ain't using it, what good is it?

Nobody ever claimed Wilson was some elite talent but plenty said Bennett should be. But who is the one getting the most out of what he has? You know the answer as well as I do. That's the point

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Except you still don't get it.It has nothing to do with being elite or not being elite. It has to do with getting the most out of your abilities. It's like Tom Wilson isn't close to as talented as Bennett is but Bennett isn't half the player Wilson is. Because Wilson like Gio gives everything he has to be the best player he can be, even if he isn't as skilled as Bennett is. While Bennett who despite being much more skilled is wasting his talent being less than he should be.. You can say he's more talented all you like but if he ain't using it, what good is it?

Nobody ever claimed Wilson was some elite talent but plenty said Bennett should be. But who is the one getting the most out of what he has? You know the answer as well as I do. That's the point

I believe what you're missing out on is usage.

Wilson is riding shotgun with one of the most offensive lines in the NHL.....

Bennett is playing third line minutes.

No one try's harder than Bennett, he's just not put in a position to succeed to the degree Wilson has.

Put Bennett on a line with Ovi and Kuz and you'd see a lot different totals, and most likely effort.

God forbid he might even look like he's having fun playing hockey again.

I've got nothing against Tom Wilson. But he's nothing more than a less talented Pat Maroon. Oiler fans kept telling us he was a legit 1st line winger. Wasn't "just" a product of McDavid. But when he stopped playing with McDavid he fell off a cliff, back to being Maroon.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wait? Bennett's not having fun dragging around the corpse of Troy Brouwer? Trying to raise the spirit of Kris Versteeg? Giving piggybacks to AHL caliber guys like Hathaway?

The best player he's played with consistently over the past 2 seasons is Mark Jankowski. Mark Jankowski. Mark Jankowski without Bennett's hot streak where he was the best player for Calgary during a 10-15 game stretch for Calgary, is a 15 point centre with questionable processing speed.

I'm not into this trade one way or another. But getting more guys who give a damn is what Calgary should be all about this offseason. I don't know how many games Sam Bennett and Matt Tkachuk were the only two guys who looked offended we were losing or getting bullied. That's two kids who are college aged.

Reactions: HugginThePost

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Wait? Bennett's not having fun dragging around the corpse of Troy Brouwer? Trying to raise the spirit of Kris Versteeg? Giving piggybacks to AHL caliber guys like Hathaway?

The best player he's played with consistently over the past 2 seasons is Mark Jankowski. Mark Jankowski. Mark Jankowski without Bennett's hot streak where he was the best player for Calgary during a 10-15 game stretch for Calgary, is a 15 point centre with questionable processing speed.

I'm not into this trade one way or another. But getting more guys who give a damn is what Calgary should be all about this offseason. I don't know how many games Sam Bennett and Matt Tkachuk were the only two guys who looked offended we were losing or getting bullied. That's two kids who are college aged.

Ding, ding, ding!

Give this man/woman a cigar!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I believe what you're missing out on is usage.

Wilson is riding shotgun with one of the most offensive lines in the NHL.....

Bennett is playing third line minutes.

No one try's harder than Bennett, he's just not put in a position to succeed to the degree Wilson has.

Put Bennett on a line with Ovi and Kuz and you'd see a lot different totals, and most likely effort.

God forbid he might even look like he's having fun playing hockey again.

I've got nothing against Tom Wilson. But he's nothing more than a less talented Pat Maroon. Oiler fans kept telling us he was a legit 1st line winger. Wasn't "just" a product of McDavid. But when he stopped playing with McDavid he fell off a cliff, back to being Maroon.

The fact that people keep comparing Wilson and Maroon is ridiculous.

The similarities between them are that they are big players that can fight. That's where they end. Tom Wilson is a much better skater than Patrick Maroon will ever be and the reason that he's playing with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov is actually because he is an excellent defensive player and propably the best PK'er on this team. Patrick Maroon has not stepped onto the ice on the PK in years, he's also a rather slow skater and his defensive game is nothing to write home about.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
so did a 35 point Martin Gelinas in 03-04, didn't make him a top 6 quality player.

35 points rank him 43rd among right wingers. If you include Playoffs, he has 47 points in 94 games. That puts him close to top-30. Meaning, production wise he is borderline top-line RW. On top of that, he is a physical presence, great forechecker, very good defensive player and an excellent PK'er.

Is that a top-six forward? Hell yes. Although it would be hilarious if you tried to name 60 RW's better than him.

Reactions: MW6

IvanMalison

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
I like Wilson but I don’t think anyone’s under the misconception that he’s a true top 6 player. There’s a big difference between a complementary top 6 and de facto top 6. Bottom line is the kid is worth more to organization than any GM would ever feasibly offer for him. And no, I don’t think Bennett would ever be offered for him.

I don't think you know what "de facto" means.

Google says it means "in fact, or in effect, whether by right or not."

Tom Wilson is certainly a "de facto top six player" by that definition. He might not be a de jure top six player though.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't think you know what "de facto" means.

Google says it means "in fact, or in effect, whether by right or not."

Tom Wilson is certainly a "de facto top six player" by that definition. He might not be a de jure top six player though.
Yes, that’s exactly why I called him a de facto top 6, when others were calling him a complementary top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad