Proposal: WSH - CGY

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What's pathetic is that Wilson had to play with Ovi to finally outscore Brouwer in a season.

Couldn't be my top line player.

So much fail in one post. First, Brouwer was spoon-fed goals and points by being the main trigger man in the slot on Washington's PP. Wilson gets no PP time. That Brouwer didn't have more points given he was gifted a top 6 spot from Day One and a cush gig on the PP is what's pathetic. Wilson had to earn his top six minutes. Second, Brouwer was a total zero in almost every other aspect of the game. He was a faux tough guy, terrible possession player, and mediocre penalty killer. Wilson is one of their best PKers and is a game-changing force on many nights. Third, Brouwer came up small time and again during the playoffs. Fun fact: Wilson scored more points this year in the playoffs (3+7 in 15GP) than Brouwer had combined during his entire tenure in Washington (3+6 in 35GP).

TL;DR: Troy Brouwer is garbage and comparing Tom Wilson to him is similarly garbage.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
So much fail in one post. First, Brouwer was spoon-fed goals and points by being the main trigger man in the slot on Washington's PP. Wilson gets no PP time. That Brouwer didn't have more points given he was gifted a top 6 spot from Day One and a cush gig on the PP is what's pathetic. Wilson had to earn his top six minutes. Second, Brouwer was a total zero in almost every other aspect of the game. He was a faux tough guy, terrible possession player, and mediocre penalty killer. Wilson is one of their best PKers and is a game-changing force on many nights. Third, Brouwer came up small time and again during the playoffs. Fun fact: Wilson scored more points this year in the playoffs (3+7 in 15GP) than Brouwer had combined during his entire tenure in Washington (3+6 in 35GP).

TL;DR: Troy Brouwer is garbage and comparing Tom Wilson to him is similarly garbage.
Before this year, and playing with Ovie, Wilson had 5 points in 41 playoff games.

Meanwhile, since leaving the Capitals, Brouwer has tripled that in 24 playoff games.

Its easy to cherry pick stats that work in your favour, isn't it?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Was he 'siphoning' points from Ovi in Calgary too?
Eleven of those points for Brouwer came on the PP. Brouwer's career-high at even-strength is 29 points despite much more routine TOI and having already exited his prime. Wilson topped that this season and he's still 23. This was the first season he averaged over 13 minutes a game so it's not like he's had prime opportunities before this season. It stands to reason he's likely only going to improve over the next few season at least. If he really were a highly productive 50-60 point player there'd be no chance of acquiring him. As-is maybe there's a slight chance someone could overpay in belief that he's ready to break out further but it's still unlikely to happen.
Before this year, and playing with Ovie, Wilson had 5 points in 41 playoff games.

Meanwhile, since leaving the Capitals, Brouwer has tripled that in 24 playoff games.

If by "playing with Ovie" you mean averaging less than one minute per game with him prior to this season, yes.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
People still think Bennet has this unreached ceiling? Nope. He is what he is already, and it's not good.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Yep! Let's do it some more. In 8 postseasons, Troy Brouwer has posted double digit playoff points once. It took him until he was 30 in his 7th playoff season to do so. Tom Wilson accomplished that feat in his 3rd postseason at age 23.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA

And he had 5 points in 41 games in the playoffs prior to this season.

He's Zach Hyman with a tough guy complex. Good role player, but massively overrated by Capital fans.

Agree to disagree.

Never knew you guys hated Troy Brouwer so much though, sounds like the Caps version of David Backes.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014

He's Zach Hyman with a tough guy complex. Good role player, but massively overrated by Capital fans.

Agree to disagree.

Never knew you guys hated Troy Brouwer so much though, sounds like the Caps version of David Backes.

He's the kind of player who you won't really appreciate unless you watch him, game in, game out. I'm quite happy for the rest of the league to under-rate him, but I can promise you one thing - he's one of the first names Trotz writes down on his team sheet.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Agree to disagree.

Hah, yes, 95% of Caps fans loathe Brouwer. He definitely touches a nerve for me. He was the first guy to get in front of a microphone and call people out but his play was always the worst when it mattered most. To me, he personifies a lot of why Ovechkin never got past the 2nd round. Guys like Brouwer who were brought in to provide depth just didn't show up.

Agree that we should agree to disagree. I see Tom Wilson as someone with the potential to be a top line PF. No guarantee he gets there but we'll see.

Reactions: DrJustice

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Of course we wouldn't consider it, that's like asking would you consider moving Backstrom for Bennett
Yea I get where you are coming from, I was just saying he's the only guy that would go some way to bringing the dynamic that Wilson does. I sort of said its not a doable trade though, unless we catch your GM on a bad day

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Glad you would think i was an oiler fan based off my name, maybe do alittle more research before you get overly invested there chump...

So you are comparing a 35 point Tom Wilson trade for Tkachuk who had 49 points... To 79 point Nicklas Backstrom for 26 point Bennett..
Give your head a shake, its clearly you who is trolling.

Tom Wilson > Almost every item the Flames have to offer in a trade.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Suggesting a 21 year old won't ever improve, is extremely moronic. He might not live up to his draft position but that doesn't mean he won't be a serviceable play, because contrary to your opinion, he is that.

You must of been the spokes person for Nail Yakupov as well... GG

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yea I get where you are coming from, I was just saying he's the only guy that would go some way to bringing the dynamic that Wilson does. I sort of said its not a doable trade though, unless we catch your GM on a bad day
You do know Tkachuk may do dirty things but isn't actually really all that physical of a player right? Bennett is actually more like Wilson than Tkachuk is.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Glad you would think i was an oiler fan based off my name, maybe do alittle more research before you get overly invested there chump...

So you are comparing a 35 point Tom Wilson trade for Tkachuk who had 49 points... To 79 point Nicklas Backstrom for 26 point Bennett..
Give your head a shake, its clearly you who is trolling.

Tom Wilson > Almost every item the Flames have to offer in a trade.
and the stupidity continues. Wilson is a great team guy and 3rd liner, but making that claim is absolute f***ing horse shit. Almost as stupid as the guy bringing up Tkachuk

You must of been the spokes person for Nail Yakupov as well... GG
Yak couldn't play defense and was as soft as butter. Bennett and Yak aren't even comparable players. It's this type of stupid post that makes you look like an Oiler fan as much as your name.

Reactions: MoneyHandsMonahan

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
2016-17- 22 year old Tom Wilson: 7-12-19 in 82 games

2016-17 31 year old Troy Brouwer: 13-12-25 in 74 games.

Was he 'siphoning' points from Ovi in Calgary too?

Lol, Points per 60 mins...Tom Wilson = 1.24; Troy Brouwer = 0.76

And need I mention he wasn't playing much top 6 minutes for most of that season you cherry picked?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So...you wouldn't take:

-Johnny Gaudreau
-Sean Monahan
-Dougie Hamilton
-Mark Giordano

...:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're a funny guy.

It's an interesting conversation to have. The Caps are set at center so unless there's a corresponding move to ship out one of Backstrom, Kuznetsov, or Eller then Monahan is of no use. I'm also not trading 23 year old Tom Wilson for 35 year old Mark Giordano and his $6.75 cap hit until he's, what, 38? 39? And if Carlson resigns, what use do they have for Hamilton? If you're throwing names out in a vacuum then of course there are more pieces on the Flames than Tkachuk that have tons of value that would be attractive in a trade but there aren't a ton of pieces that fit Washington's needs or cap structure.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Lol, Points per 60 mins...Tom Wilson = 1.24; Troy Brouwer = 0.76

And need I mention he wasn't playing much top 6 minutes for most of that season you cherry picked?

You cherry pick one single stat, I cherry pick a whole season in which they played the same role.

Never said he couldn't improve going forward. Just that his production up to date doesn't scream 'top-6 player'.

Nothing wrong with being a valuable third liner.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's an interesting conversation to have. The Caps are set at center so unless there's a corresponding move to ship out one of Backstrom, Kuznetsov, or Eller then Monahan is of no use. I'm also not trading 23 year old Tom Wilson for 35 year old Mark Giordano and his $6.75 cap hit until he's, what, 38? 39? And if Carlson resigns, what use do they have for Hamilton? If you're throwing names out in a vacuum then of course there are more pieces on the Flames than Tkachuk that have tons of value that would be attractive in a trade but there aren't a ton of pieces that fit Washington's needs or cap structure.

Use Hamilton as a replacement for Carlson? :sarcasm:

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
I'm just replying to someone who literally said that Tkachuk is the only player he would want for Wilson. If all it costs to get Monahan is Wilson, then you take it and run. Uh-oh! You have to play a talented center on the wing who can also jump in and win faceoffs! I don't even need to argue Johhny for Wilson. If you don't want Gio or Hamilton then I'm sure there is a three way trade involving Wilson that would make Calgary look like fools.

I understand what you're saying about team needs, but the original comment I was replying to just wasn't the most intelligent thing to say.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad