Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Brooks Orpik [1 year- 1 million]

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Settle down Nancy Drew.

All done by the book. If you don’t like it, try to lobby for change in what has been collectively bargained and agreed upon by all parties.

not a chance this is by the books... but the question is will the all mighty hand of the godling gary bettman come down and cast judgement upon the wicked

anyhow... you are entitled to feel smug for now. if you get away with it then all the more power to you

don't get your panties in a bunch that the rest of us are calling sink on it though

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's a bit more than that though, right? It's the Caps essentially finding a legal way to re-negotiate a bad cap hit. That's why it's an interesting topic of discussion, not because it's Brooks Orpik specifically.

He was traded, bought out by a different team, free to sign anywhere. All of those are straight up, hardcore, undeniable facts. Yet, he is back in Washington, at a lower cap hit than what they were going to have him at this year before they traded him.

The variables in this equation are what make it unique and intriguing.

Explain to me what your problem is? We have several examples of pending ufa being traded at the deadline and returning as a free agent. Here a buyout and waivers were required before the it a period opened.

What is it that bugs you?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Explain to me what your problem is? We have several examples of pending ufa being traded at the deadline and returning as a free agent. Here a buyout and waivers were required before the it a period opened.

What is it that bugs you?
It seems most of those who have issue with this have backed away from the discussion, or choose to completely ignore rebuttals, or just downright move the goalposts during the discussion.

There’s no foul here. There’s no precedent set for this to continue to happen.

Seems more like people complaining simply because they can. To be fair though, I don’t think Kingsfan really had an issue with it.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
It's become apparent to me that people not understanding the waivers process is the crux of this debate. The waiver process wrecks any examples of future atrocities for which this has "set the precedent."

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
next year boston wants to keep david krejci. we tell him please waive your ntc and accept a trade to Arizona. they have agreed to buy you out for Bjork and zboril. after they buy you out we will be able to give you a 3 mill salary and keep you as our second line center then next 4 years

ok he says...

we send him to Arizona. he gets his buyout. now montreal says to him we will give you 5 mill to come play for us we are desperate for a center. he says I don't want to play in montreal. I only want to play in boston

so boston gives him 3 mill

now our cap works... we have enough money to sign McAvoy and still keep krejci.

we used this illegle procedure to gain an unfair advantage and montreal was screwed despite being willing to pay more

Please do it. I'd love to see Boston give up a 1st round pick for my team to claim Krejci off waivers. Or offer him 6.5 mil once he's bought out lol.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Please do it. I'd love to see Boston give up a 1st round pick for my team to claim Krejci off waivers. Or offer him 6.5 mil once he's bought out lol.

the krecji example might not work... but lets say the contract is a bit more undesirable

say... Johnathon toews

I used krejci to show im not a homer... maybe the boston contract that might be used could be... david backes

if I keep trying theres many contracts that are not easy to take but would be much better after a buyout

assuming a player and his original team had a prearranged deal

that's the problem. if you cant see it by now you never will so I don't intend to respond again in this thread

its a problem... and I expect Washington to get punished for it and rightfully so

assuming of course the investigation shows what im alledging has happened

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
the krecji example might not work... but lets say the contract is a bit more undesirable

say... Johnathon toews

I used krejci to show im not a homer... maybe the boston contract that might be used could be... david backes

if I keep trying theres many contracts that are not easy to take but would be much better after a buyout

assuming a player and his original team had a prearranged deal

that's the problem. if you cant see it by now you never will so I don't intend to respond again in this thread

its a problem... and I expect Washington to get punished for it and rightfully so

assuming of course the investigation shows what im alledging has happened
It doesn’t matter is the player and the team have a prearranged deal another team can offer more money then the player can take more money. Other guys mention the waivers as the equalizer but if some team slid in with 1 yr $2.25M to a 37 year old a handshake agreement doesn’t matter.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It doesn’t matter is the player and the team have a prearranged deal another team can offer more money then the player can take more money. Other guys mention the waivers as the equalizer but if some team slid in with 1 yr $2.25M to a 37 year old a handshake agreement doesn’t matter.

obviously that's where it changes from illegle to legal

if another team signed orpik none of us would be concened. if it turns out no other team attempted to sign orpik theres no problem

the only time this gets stinky is if team C says hey offered orpik 1 million and 1 dollars... and he said no

then everyone will wonder... did he and the capitals have a prearranged agreement?

and if they did... that's dirty pool

its like when atlanta traded tkchuk at the deadline and then resigned him... it raised huge concerns... there was a lot of talk about it

if the player is unwanted... like vermette maybe or someone like that... and they return to their old team... then we can live with it

but if theres prearranged agreements... that's illegle. the team doesn't allow tampering

you cant have deals with players that belong to other organizations

the integrity of the league forbids it

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

if another team signed orpik none of us would be concened. if it turns out no other team attempted to sign orpik theres no problem

the only time this gets stinky is if team C says hey offered orpik 1 million and 1 dollars... and he said no

then everyone will wonder... did he and the capitals have a prearranged agreement?

its like when atlanta traded tkchuk at the deadline and then resigned him... it raised huge concerns... there was a lot of talk about it

if the player is unwanted... like vermette maybe or someone like that... and they return to their old team... then we can live with it

but if theres prearranged agreements... that's illegle. the team doesn't allow tampering

What I would consider collusion would be if the Caps said we aren’t trading him to you unless you promise to release him, then it’s 2 teams colluding against a player. If the Caps told Orpik not to report to get the release then it’s a team and player colluding against a team. Orpik getting released and resigning was so easy to call once they dealt him to the Avs I’d hope the Caps wouldn’t put anything in writing with Orpik but I can’t think of anything they could have told him that would stop Orpik from going to another team if they wanted him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
not a chance this is by the books... but the question is will the all mighty hand of the godling gary bettman come down and cast judgement upon the wicked

anyhow... you are entitled to feel smug for now. if you get away with it then all the more power to you

don't get your panties in a bunch that the rest of us are calling sink on it though

Sorry you don’t like the existing framework the NHL is run by. You’re going to need to find a way to sleep tonight through all this strife and turmoil. Hang in there. ;)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It seems most of those who have issue with this have backed away from the discussion, or choose to completely ignore rebuttals, or just downright move the goalposts during the discussion.

There’s no foul here. There’s no precedent set for this to continue to happen.

Seems more like people complaining simply because they can. To be fair though, I don’t think Kingsfan really had an issue with it.

The funny part is they are whining over a player they wouldn't want anyway.

Reactions: DaveG and bigd

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

You’re just rambling at this point.

There’s nothing illegal about what happened.
Even if 30 teams offered Orpik a 5M dollar deal, and he refused them all, it’s still not illegal.

Show me the rule that says a team can’t re-sign a player who was bought out from someone else.
I’ll wait.

And Tkachuk? Excellent example. Did the CBA prohibit this in the future negotiations? I guess not since players are still allowed to do this.

Btw, who’s talking about this Orpik situation? I don’t see or hear anything? All I see are people in this thread with a terrible grasp of the CBA talking about it.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Right, it’s that new to north of the border who had Tavares fall into his lap and has watched his team win a gazillion playoff games
Someone’s salty. What does Jt or the Leafs have to do with anything? There’s no way you could possibly think someone would win the GM of the year award for trading a backup goalie for a friggin pick lmfao

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Someone’s salty. What does Jt or the Leafs have to do with anything? There’s no way you could possibly think someone would win the GM of the year award for trading a backup goalie for a friggin pick lmfao

Perhaps for fielding the Cup winning team, and then bringing the entire squad back again (save the 4C and that aforementioned back up G).

Thats what GM of the year should be doing, IMO.

And I was responding to Leaf fan laughing the GMBM should get GM of the year. It's not salt at all, its dealing with silly Leaf fan who now thinks everything about their franchise is the best thing going (players, coach, GM).

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Perhaps for fielding the Cup winning team, and then bringing the entire squad back again (save the 4C and that aforementioned back up G).

Thats what GM of the year should be doing, IMO.

And I was responding to Leaf fan laughing the GMBM should get GM of the year. It's not salt at all, its dealing with silly Leaf fan who now thinks everything about their franchise is the best thing going (players, coach, GM).
So you’re just automatically winning GM of the year because you kept a cup winning team together? That’s the biggest joke I’ve ever heard. Seems like your gm of the year criteria is pretty bad.

And you responded to me laughing at that because it’s a f***ing ridiculous claim lmfao. When did I say anything about the leafs being superior or even mentioning our gm for gm of the year? Wake up and take the leafs hate glasses off. But then again I’m a “silly leafs fan who now thinks everything about my franchise is the best thing going”.. when I didn’t even mention the leafs.

If you can’t handle your opinion being challenged, leave the forum.

Reactions: domaug

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So you’re just automatically winning GM of the year because you kept a cup winning team together? That’s the biggest joke I’ve ever heard. Seems like your gm of the year criteria is pretty bad.

And you responded to me laughing at that because it’s a ****ing ridiculous claim lmfao. When did I say anything about the leafs being superior or even mentioning our gm for gm of the year? Wake up and take the leafs hate glasses off. But then again I’m a “silly leafs fan who now thinks everything about my franchise is the best thing going”.. when I didn’t even mention the leafs.

If you can’t handle your opinion being challenged, leave the forum.

Coming from someone as acerbic as you, thats funny. Stop being a ****ing hypocrite. You rail against someone because you think they shouldnt rail at someone else? Get over yourself.

Rutherford won GM of the year for manning a cup winning program. Many GM's do. GMBM didnt get notice due to the fact that the Caps came outta nowhere (for the hockey community) to win the Cup.

So he keeps the same team together....one which he has built (the claims that McPhee built it are hogwash...his last team didnt even make the playoffs)....and one that now has 2 Presidents Cups and a Stanley Cup in 3 consecutive years. Which he should have been rewarded for last year. If the team excels again, he will get rewarded this year.

"i didn't even mention the leafs". Please. Guaranteed you were thinking "But, DUBAS!!!" with your laughing. You are just PO'd because I called you out on it, hence these vitriolic posts. Claim whatever you want, we both know it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad