Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Brooks Orpik [1 year- 1 million]

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Meh.. as a caps fan I love that they finally took advantage of a system. They have never done that with any of the other trends in the past and always missed out. What they did was totally fine by the way the CBA is written.

But I do sort of side with the group that doesn't really like it... I could see it becoming the next "back diving contract trend". I would be OK with there being an amendment to the CBA that states a player cannot resign with the team that bought him out or the original contract team for 1 year.

But trading a player and another valuable asset for a fair return.. and then having that player go through waivers and being bought out, then enter free agency and sign with the original team is 100% allowed as the CBA is written.

The other sorta sneaky thing they did recently was wait to re-sign Oshie until the UFA period so they didn't have to protect him in the expansion draft.

Not that I'm complaining, GMGM was way behind the curve on this kind of borderline roster management behavior. GMBM, on the other hand, is doing a good job of using the current rules to the team's advantage .

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Meh.. as a caps fan I love that they finally took advantage of a system. They have never done that with any of the other trends in the past and always missed out. What they did was totally fine by the way the CBA is written.

But I do sort of side with the group that doesn't really like it... I could see it becoming the next "back diving contract trend". I would be OK with there being an amendment to the CBA that states a player cannot resign with the team that bought him out or the original contract team for 1 year.

But trading a player and another valuable asset for a fair return.. and then having that player go through waivers and being bought out, then enter free agency and sign with the original team is 100% allowed as the CBA is written.
Oh I’m with you, putting on someone else’s shoes, if the Penguins has done this with a contract... say Hagelin... Because he is overpaid for what he brings. It’s a loop hole that is 100% legal, but it’s shady and shouldn’t be there. All the people talking cap circumvention or flipping out about it need to calm down. The loop hole will be closed in the next CBA most likely, I feel it’ll be something around what I said in a previous post that a player has to play X amount of games for a team he is traded to to be able to sign with the original contract signing team or something to that extent. But as of right now, the Capitals did nothing wrong, I don’t necessarily like it. But they did nothing wrong.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
yes there are provisions that allow a team to waive its exclusivity to a player under its control.

this is all a very gray area and one that professional sports leagues need to vigorously defend. if they lower their guard then all sorts of problems will arise.

there are situations like basketball where a levar james might plan to go to a city like los angeles while still playing for cleaveland. and maybe he calls up a couple friends in other places and says... don't sign. join me in LA... and you see where the problem quickly becomes HUGE

now imagine its an owner doing it instead of a player. imagine some owner in say new York telling everyone he will arrange endorsement deals for connor McDavid and Austin Matthews once their current deals expire and they come to new York in 7 years or whatever. he promises he will sign them and then other guys who want to play on a super team are welcome to join and be part of it.

if there wasn't rules against tampering... this could easily happen and it would kill the sport

what you are asking is more like... I will give you an example. when tim Thomas was entering his last year in boston, the team knew it was going to play tuuka rask. they didn't really want to insult tim Thomas by forcing him to be a backup. they told his agent to look around for a potential trade. out of respect to the player, they said go ahead and talk to other teams about a possible landing spot.

I think montreal recently did the same sort of thing with pacioretti. they told him he could talk contract extension with LA because it would make a trade easier if there was a new contract in place.

so there are certain times that a team that holds the rights to a player can waive its priveledge. but rules govering ufa negotiations are pretty clear.

Washington signed orpik as an ufa. if they were in negotiations with him before he became an ufa then the problem im talking about has occurred. the tampering already happened

I'm sure it was a typo. But Levar James made me laugh to hard haha

:laugh:

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Well now that you can't send cash as part of NHL trades, I can see things like this happen more often....until the league cracks down on this too. It was a really smart deal for both sides. Colorado had an extra 2nd round pick and Washington had an extra goalie with potential. Grubauer has (currently) a much higher upside than an undecided 2nd rounder. However 2nd round picks can produce some serious studs i.e. Subban, Bergeron, Keith and Adam Foote. Either way it helps Washington in the end retain a defensive leader in Orpik and allows for them to afford Alzner while they're still strong contenders.

Colorado has the potential to get a starting goaltender out of it, but when you bring in Wendel Clark's son who knows what could happen there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->