Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals sign Brooks Orpik [1 year- 1 million]

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
again, that's not what i read here.

I'm seeing more about how the Caps now virtually erased a bad contract so they could afford to keep their superior defenseman on the roster.

it's totally legal, but it feels dirty. you're only thrilled about it because the Caps benefit from it

Says the Pens fan.....who saw his team use a 3rd team to take on salary (Hi, Brassard) this past TDL. That was "genius" by Rutherford.....and this was "dirty" by MacLellan.

Right?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
That Brassard trade had so many tentacles, Vegas beat the team that would have traded for Brassard with a goal by the guy they got for facilitating the trade, then he gets the game winner in game 1 of the finals with this missed call, then he cross checks his own face and doesn't get the call. Brassard only had 1 assist in 6 games against the Caps, but Ian Cole goes to Columbus, looks great and makes Jack Johnson sit and the Penguins choose Johnson over Cole and we get this great feud. And the Avs who released Orpik since he's no upgrade overwhat they have sign Cole.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You're burying the lede though. Grubuaer was valued by our own GM as being at the very least a late first round pick. That he was going to be moved regardless is irrelevant, it's that the Capitals had to take a hit in his value to make this happen that is of note.

There is a reason why this thread isn't ballooned with Avs fans feeling that they were ripped off, they understand that the value of Grubauer was worth the buyout of Orpik,

Yeah, the Avs don't get involved unless they thought Grubauer was worth the dead space with the buyout. The Avs aren't the important part though. I wouldn't expect Avs fans to have any issue with the trade. Nobody anywhere needed or wanted Orpik at $5.5m. Was anyone expecting the Avs to keep him? Same thing with Carmelo Anthony. He got traded to the Atlanta Hawks, but they weren't keeping him. Were the Hurricanes planning on keeping him? I don't know, but I would doubt it looking at their roster. The Avs started the process to get rid of him like a day after making the deal, if not earlier.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
in the case of brassard... I suppose any team was given a chance to participate. that's the key

in this case it looks like Washington said to the player... we want you bought out. you will be allowed to stay here. we will let another team buy you out and then we will resign you. don't worry. nudge nudge wink wink

it seems like... Washington wanted to misuse a tool that the nhl provides to gain an unfair advantage.

Colorado is creating floor space... through an artificial method here. I don't know if it will end up mattering but it too is an abuse of the system

no other team was offered a chance to participate in these 2 clubs colluding to intentionally misuse the system to their advantage

once orpik became an ufa… I don't know... did some team offer him a contract??? if so... then they have been harmed by this dishonest manipulation.

no one would have a problem if orpik was unwanted by the other 29 teams and Washington gave him a job back. if Washington can prove that no one else wanted orpik and there was never another contract offered to him... then I say no harm no foul

but if orpik knew from day 1... that he would get his buyout money AND be back in Washington too then theres obviously some tampering going on here

tampering has ALWAYS been punished when it can be proven.

the potential precedence being set here needs to get slapped hard. orpik isn't necessarily a game changing player but if this one is allowed to go through, there could be some much worst examples as early as next season. investigage this one

and keep an eye on hossa too. make him get a new doctors note that his skin condition hasn't miraculously healed. if he is put on ir again this year... I will be p.o'd

hopefully the new team just leaves him on the inactive list because he should never have qualified for I.R.
You clearly decided to not read any of the posts before adding your own.

Orpik had to pass through waivers BEFORE his buyout.

Every single team was involved in this. Every. Single. One.
Because they ALL had a chance to acquire him for free.
Not only that, but they ALL also had the opportunity to trade with Sakic with retention, before he was bought out.

The idea that “no other team was offered a chance to participate in these 2 clubs colluding” is quite simply, wrong.

There’s no precedence set.
There’s no crazy loophole that’s been created that’s going to get superstar players at cheap cap hits.
There’s no hand slapping required.

What’s required, is some logical thinking.

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
Surely I can't be the only Washington fan that sees the phrase "spirit of the cap" and immediately gets PTSD. The Redskins were found to be guilty of violating the "spirit of the cap" during an uncapped year and retroactively fined 36 million against the salary cap a year down the road when they hammered out a new CBA and screwed the team depth for half a decade. Our Cap for 2 years was 18mil less than the rest of the league. Two division rivals (one being the NY Giants) spearheaded that BS so seeing a user with a NY Rangers avatar makes it even worse although I saw they are a devils fan.

The Capitals could have hoped this is how things would have played out all along, but there is no way they could have prevented any teams from claiming Orpik off waivers or offering him a better deal over the last 3 weeks. This situation is very rare and I'd be surprised if this is addressed in any future CBA. Who was wronged in this situation? The whole two contracts ending July 1st 2019 is also absurd, the first contract was traded to the Avs and they fulfilled that contract.

Why did a TML fan come into a Brooks Orpik thread and start chest thumping out of nowhere?

Last edited:
Reactions: Drakon

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You clearly decided to not read any of the posts before adding your own.

Orpik had to pass through waivers BEFORE his buyout.

Every single team was involved in this. Every. Single. One.
Because they ALL had a chance to acquire him for free.
Not only that, but they ALL also had the opportunity to trade with Sakic with retention, before he was bought out.

The idea that “no other team was offered a chance to participate in these 2 clubs colluding” is quite simply, wrong.

There’s no precedence set.
There’s no crazy loophole that’s been created that’s going to get superstar players at cheap cap hits.
There’s no hand slapping required.

What’s required, is some logical thinking.

your missing the obvious huge huge huge problem with your thinking

so step 1... Washington trades orpik in what we all assume is a cap dump. so that's allowed

step 2... Colorado waives orpik and gives him a buyout... ok... a bit underhanded but definitely allowed. a lot of teams have done this. boston bought out Patrick eaves after trading for him. so if you are following we are still ok

step 3... orpik is now an ufa. and theoletically any team might sign him. but here we are worried... does he have an arrangement to go back to Washington? is it a prearranged agreement? did Washington tell the player ahead of time that he would be bought out by Colorado and then return??????? do you see the problem?

did Washington and Colorado conspire to allow Washington to keep a player at a lower cap hit then origionally bargained for under the rules of the cba. did Colorado illegally use their buyout option to buyout a player on another team in exchange for considerations knowing full well that the player would then return to the first team?

do you see the problem?

I doubt it... but I hope you wont try to correct me again because I obviously do see the problem.

anyhow thanks for your concern. but this stinks and if Washington did do what I am outlying here then the league MUST act to maintain the INTEGRITY of the system. this is a unique and grievous violation of the rules IF it is how I suspect

I cant investigate… all I can do is raise the concern. but an investigation is needed and you and I will simply have to wait for the results

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Surely I can't be the only Washington fan that sees the phrase "spirit of the cap" and immediately gets PTSD. The Redskins were found to be guilty of violating the "spirit of the cap" during an uncapped year and retroactively fined 36 million against the salary cap a year down the road when they hammered out a new CBA and screwed the team depth for half a decade. Two division rivals (one being the NY Giants) spearheaded that BS so seeing a user with a NY Rangers avatar makes it even worse although I saw they are a devils fan.

The Capitals could have hoped this is how things would have played out all along, but there is no way they could have prevented any teams from claiming Orpik off waivers or offering him a better deal over the last 3 weeks. This situation is very rare and I'd be surprised if this is addressed in any future CBA. Who was wronged in this situation? The whole two contracts ending July 1st 2019 is also absurd, the first contract was traded to the Avs and they fulfilled that contract.

Why did a TML fan come into a Brooks Orpik thread and start chest thumping out of nowhere?
I'm still not over Scott Stevens being gifted to New Jersey and the Wizards having to match the Juwan Howard offer or DC getting shaken down for the Nats when there were no other reasonable options.

Reactions: Zazzaro703

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe

so step 1... Washington trades orpik in what we all assume is a cap dump. so that's allowed

step 2... Colorado waives orpik and gives him a buyout... ok... a bit underhanded but definitely allowed. a lot of teams have done this. boston bought out Patrick eaves after trading for him. so if you are following we are still ok

step 3... orpik is now an ufa. and theoletically any team might sign him. but here we are worried... does he have an arrangement to go back to Washington? is it a prearranged agreement? did Washington tell the player ahead of time that he would be bought out by Colorado and then return??????? do you see the problem?

did Washington and Colorado conspire to allow Washington to keep a player at a lower cap hit then origionally bargained for under the rules of the cba. did Colorado illegally use their buyout option to buyout a player on another team in exchange for considerations knowing full well that the player would then return to the first team?

do you see the problem?

I doubt it... but I hope you wont try to correct me again because I obviously do see the problem.

anyhow thanks for your concern. but this stinks and if Washington did do what I am outlying here then the league MUST act to maintain the INTEGRITY of the system. this is a unique and grievous violation of the rules IF it is how I suspect

I cant investigate… all I can do is raise the concern. but an investigation is needed and you and I will simply have to wait for the results

If Orpik had signed right away with the Caps after the buyout I'd see your point, but since it was 3 weeks later after he probably shopped around I'll give them all the benefit of the doubt.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

do you see the problem?

Ugh.

The fact that you decide to pass over the waiver part as if it’s inconsequential is the part you seem to not want to get.

It doesn’t matter if Orpik only wants to go to Washington, because it’s AFTER the point where any team can get him. They all passed.

There’s no investigation needed.
There’s no penalty necessary.
Colorado received assets.
Washington paid assets.
Every team had the chance to get Orpik, for free. They all passed.

In order for Colorado and Washington to have colluded to get Orpik in Washington, it would have required every other team’s agreement that they wouldn’t take him off waivers.

There’s no punishment coming
No investigation.

The circumstances around this are so unique.

But continue to convince yourself that some, masterminded, illegal collusion has occurred...

For a player no one wanted for free. Lol.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

do you see the problem?

your forgetting a step man

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I mean... we just won a Cup and we literally have only lost one player from our roster, your team is still paying Phil Kessel ... soooooooo........

tenor.gif
there's no "we" here unless you work for the team.

pedantic of me to point out? yes. do i just want something to complain about? also yes.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

do you see the problem?

Really, this is a 37 year old Brooks Orpik we are talking about? I'm an Orpik fan but I really think fans are over thinking this. You people act like someone stole your grand mothers wheel chair.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Really, this is a 37 year old Brooks Orpik we are talking about? I'm an Orpik fan but I really think fans are over thinking this. You people act like someone stole your grand mothers wheel chair.

I think I said earlier that orpik isn't a big deal... that the true deal is the precedence and what this can mean for future deals

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Give me an example.

next year boston wants to keep david krejci. we tell him please waive your ntc and accept a trade to Arizona. they have agreed to buy you out for Bjork and zboril. after they buy you out we will be able to give you a 3 mill salary and keep you as our second line center then next 4 years

ok he says...

we send him to Arizona. he gets his buyout. now montreal says to him we will give you 5 mill to come play for us we are desperate for a center. he says I don't want to play in montreal. I only want to play in boston

so boston gives him 3 mill

now our cap works... we have enough money to sign McAvoy and still keep krejci.

we used this illegle procedure to gain an unfair advantage and montreal was screwed despite being willing to pay more

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
next year boston wants to keep david krejci. we tell him please waive your ntc and accept a trade to Arizona. they have agreed to buy you out for Bjork and zboril. after they buy you out we will be able to give you a 3 mill salary and keep you as our second line center then next 4 years

ok he says...

we send him to Arizona. he gets his buyout. now montreal says to him we will give you 5 mill to come play for us we are desperate for a center. he says I don't want to play in montreal. I only want to play in boston

so boston gives him 3 mill

now our cap works... we have enough money to sign McAvoy and still keep krejci.

we used this illegle procedure to gain an unfair advantage and montreal was screwed despite being willing to pay more
So Krejci passes through waivers, and not a single team takes him? For free?

So Boston trades away Zboril and Bjork, and a team like say, Colorado, can take Krejci off waivers, (which is perfect btw since we could use a stop gap 2C) or even the “desperate for a Center” Montreal team can get him for free.

So Boston ends up losing two prospects, Colorado (or Montreal, or ANY other team) gets a free player, and Arizona gets 2 good young players for some cash.

This seems like an excellent way to gain an unfair advantage. That is, everyone BUT Boston.

Last edited:

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I'm a Caps fan but I think the idea that "nobody knew the Avs would buy out Orpik" is kind of ridiculous. Colorado is nowhere near the salary cap so they didn't need to buy him out for relief. The only reason they did is because they flat out didn't want him on their roster - not even as a 7D. Why else could it be? I still don't think this is collusion or cap circumvention - just debunking this part of the argument. I'm 100% sure Sakic knew he would buy out Orpik if he couldn't unload him or if he passed through waivers unclaimed.

Reactions: Silky mitts

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

do you see the problem?

Settle down Nancy Drew.

All done by the book. If you don’t like it, try to lobby for change in what has been collectively bargained and agreed upon by all parties.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So Krejci passes through waivers, and not a single team takes him? For free?

So Boston trades away Zboril and Bjork, and a team like say, Colorado, can take Krejci off waivers, (which is perfect btw since we could use a stop gap 2C) or even the “desperate for a Center” Montreal team can get him for free.

So Boston ends up losing two prospects, Colorado gets a free player, and Arizona gets 2 good young players for some cash.

This seems like an excellent way to gain an unfair advantage. That is, everyone BUT Boston.

Right. THIS. You need to know that not one single team will claim that player on waivers. AND, that a team is willing to have that much dead cap space for that long. Under the Krejci scenario....Arizona would need to be willing to absorb that $$$ loss, AND be able to have a lot of dead cap space for like 6 years.

I dont see AZ agreeing to that. And I dont see Krejci getting by all those teams in waivers.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Right. THIS. You need to know that not one single team will claim that player on waivers. AND, that a team is willing to have that much dead cap space for that long. Under the Krejci scenario....Arizona would need to be willing to absorb that $$$ loss, AND be able to have a lot of dead cap space for like 6 years.

I dont see AZ agreeing to that. And I dont see Krejci getting by all those teams in waivers.
Even better.

A team like Colorado could say, pick him up off waivers, retain 50% and re-trade him.
So now how much is Krejci at 3.5M worth?

This, btw, could be done by any single team in the NHL, except Boston.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm a Caps fan but I think the idea that "nobody knew the Avs would buy out Orpik" is kind of ridiculous. Colorado is nowhere near the salary cap so they didn't need to buy him out for relief. The only reason they did is because they flat out didn't want him on their roster - not even as a 7D. Why else could it be? I still don't think this is collusion or cap circumvention - just debunking this part of the argument. I'm 100% sure Sakic knew he would buy out Orpik if he couldn't unload him or if he passed through waivers unclaimed.

I think it’s extremly likely that GMBM knew Sakic would try to move him after the trade. Beyond that....not a stretch to see what could easily (and did) happen.

My point......so what? They couldn’t have known 100% he would clear waivers....anything after he clears is all speculation. You also don’t know for sure aftwards what Orpik wants to do.

Caps sold him on coming back and beyond a little hurt pride, I bet it wasn’t a difficult sell.

They gave him easily attainable bonuses and a full no trade.... IMO exactly what the player has earned at this stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad