Post-Game Talk: WPG @ WSH | 2/19/15 | 7PM EST | Caps Win 5-1 Jets Crash and Burn

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
At the same time I think they had a vicious forecheck that gave us fits almost all game. Their problem last night was stupid penalties and perhaps lacking in scoring forwards. I like the way they play though.

Didn't see it that way. I thought only Green-Hillen really got hemmed in, and they get hemmed in by everyone.

Tough to get a read on them from halfway through the 2nd through the end due to penalties, but for the first 30 minutes, they generated almost no good scoring chances.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Didn't see it that way. I thought only Green-Hillen really got hemmed in, and they get hemmed in by everyone.

Tough to get a read on them from halfway through the 2nd through the end due to penalties, but for the first 30 minutes, they generated almost no good scoring chances.

Definitely. As always, we did a phenomenal job keeping puck to the outside in our zone.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Anyway, that TMM while getting 4v1 against in PK - should be the highlight of their season, for Peg.

Feel free to post a gif of that moment :) Anyone!

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Speaking of, Caps making 3rd & 4th row seats VIP seating. No notice whatsoever, 5K increase. BS.

Went to the game last night, first one in over a year and I figured I treat myself and got tickets in the third row. Speaking with a STH in the 4th row and he mentioned just this. He's been a STH for 10 years with his seat currently running $4500 a season and he told me that the first 4 rows next season will be going for $10,000, so I guess they'll be attracting the corporate element that can write the costs off tax wise. Sad thing is, here you have a loyal STH who now is forced to move from those seats or pony up the 10gs and if he moves he moves to the bottom of the rung on what's available.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
They are quickly pricing out people who theorhetically can afford it. I share STH with a group, so our per game costs over the season aren't bad, but I was priced out of being a sole STH years ago. They need to be careful on this. We aren't Montreal.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Went to the game last night, first one in over a year and I figured I treat myself and got tickets in the third row. Speaking with a STH in the 4th row and he mentioned just this. He's been a STH for 10 years with his seat currently running $4500 a season and he told me that the first 4 rows next season will be going for $10,000, so I guess they'll be attracting the corporate element that can write the costs off tax wise. Sad thing is, here you have a loyal STH who now is forced to move from those seats or pony up the 10gs and if he moves he moves to the bottom of the rung on what's available.

My dad's been a STH since '75, and he's gonna get pushed out of the third row by this. He's had those seats since before I was born, but this is the last year.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
For the sake of Winnipeg fans, I hope last night was just a bad night at the office, because that's the worst team I've seen at exiting their zone all year. It also might be the worst passing team I've seen.

Honestly, they reminded me of the Oates Caps. Standing around, lunging, trouble exiting the zone, unable to complete two passes in a row, etc. Peg was very ugly last night.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I do the monthly auto-pay option for my 2 STs, and my monthly payment is only increasing $3. So maybe it's just the premium seats they're really gouging.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
When I go, usually a 400s level person, but every now and then . . .

Though have to admit it's better to watch and "see the whole" game from up higher but this was a treat just to see the interaction on the bench.

Last edited:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
When was this price hike announced?

It wasn't so much "announced" as it just showed up without an explanation. My dad got something from the Caps yesterday about renewing for next year, and suddenly his tickets had gone from $90 to something like $230. He had to call and ask if it was a mistake before they told him what happened.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I was in section 422, row Q. All the way at the tippy top. And Blades was right, excellent view from way up there. Like watching from a blimp, sort of. ;) Really got to see the movement of the players up and down the ice. Will never turn down free nose bleed tickets to a Caps game again. :laugh:

To bad my VERIZON cell phone ran out of juice because of **** service. I had some great commentary to share. Here are my highlights:

-Was sitting in the same row with a large group of pubescent gentlemen from a foreign country. Had me crack'en up all game.
-A guy in the section next to me was pretend beating up one of his kids all game. Really pretend beat the crap out of him, impressive display.
-And don't get me started on the old Lady they put in the DC Lottery cash booth during the 2nd intermission, choke job.
-The hallway race between G-Wiz and Slapshot during the 2nd intermission was semi-entertaining thanks to commentary by Elliot Segal and Smokin Al.
-Upon reflection $11 for a 25 oz domestic can (2+ beers worth following my math) was fabulous. And it being chilly all game in Section 422, Row Q kept my beers crisp and refreshing all game. :)

I had a blast despite the fact the Jets were a boring team, the Caps 2nd and 4th lines did dick all game and braving the Polar Vortex to and from the game was a challenge. If I could of gotten the pork Nachos I got at the club level last year up in Section 422 the night would of been perfect.

How cold is it in DC? I'm dying here in Ottawa its freakin cold.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I was in section 422, row Q. All the way at the tippy top. And Blades was right, excellent view from way up there. Like watching from a blimp, sort of. ;) Really got to see the movement of the players up and down the ice. Will never turn down free nose bleed tickets to a Caps game again. :laugh:

To bad my VERIZON cell phone ran out of juice because of **** service. I had some great commentary to share. Here are my highlights:

-Was sitting in the same row with a large group of pubescent gentlemen from a foreign country. Had me crack'en up all game.
-A guy in the section next to me was pretend beating up one of his kids all game. Really pretend beat the crap out of him, impressive display.
-And don't get me started on the old Lady they put in the DC Lottery cash booth during the 2nd intermission, choke job.
-The hallway race between G-Wiz and Slapshot during the 2nd intermission was semi-entertaining thanks to commentary by Elliot Segal and Smokin Al.
-Upon reflection $11 for a 25 oz domestic can (2+ beers worth following my math) was fabulous. And it being chilly all game in Section 422, Row Q kept my beers crisp and refreshing all game. :)

I had a blast despite the fact the Jets were a boring team, the Caps 2nd and 4th lines did dick all game and braving the Polar Vortex to and from the game was a challenge. If I could of gotten the pork Nachos I got at the club level last year up in Section 422 the night would of been perfect.

- Pubescent gentlemen from a foreign country, were they the Nowegian kids in yellow hockey jerseys? Seen them by the glass during warm ups and the looks on their faces when Ovechkin was skating around was great! They subsequently were the kids skated out on the ice with the Caps flags and the mascot to welcome the Caps on the ice to start the game.
- The woman in the cash booth, she indicated that was her second time doing that and the last time her haul was $700 but I don't recall them announcing what her haul was last night.
- One of my pet peeves when I'm in the 400s is the guy carrying 4 bottles of beer that you got to stand up to let through during a period to get to his seat and you know you'll be standing up to let him back out a few times more.
- Great to see Ryan Walters there last night and get recognized as one of the all time greats in the team's history. Now he was a Trotz type of player.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
How cold is it in DC? I'm dying here in Ottawa its freakin cold.

Believe it got down to a record low of 7 at Reagan National Airport this morning breaking the previous record of 8 set back in 1896.

Last edited by a moderator:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
When Ron Weber did the PBP on radio for the Caps, he use to spew stats like crazy. So I have to think the Caps tied or broke a record last night with scoring a SHG into an empty net in consecutive games.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It wasn't so much "announced" as it just showed up without an explanation. My dad got something from the Caps yesterday about renewing for next year, and suddenly his tickets had gone from $90 to something like $230. He had to call and ask if it was a mistake before they told him what happened.

If that's true and he didn't just miss one of their explanation emails or something, that's pretty messed up.

This tells me they are 100% sure they're making the playoffs and that the attendance losses in recent years are viewed as a thing of the past. This is "rock the red" emergence all over again, with the product again becoming the hot ticket in town.

If they think they can bump prices that much I wonder if that tells us anything about their TDL or UFA plans...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So I apparently missed Ryan Walter night. He was my official first favorite player. Can anyone summarize anything signficant that he said or that happened?

I presume not of course, just standard hockey speak and applause.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So I apparently missed Ryan Walter night. He was my official first favorite player. Can anyone summarize anything signficant that he said or that happened?

I thought they shorted him a bit, as one of the main things they said he brought was his trade value. I felt he accomplished more for the Caps that they could have emphasized rather than saying he was used to acquire Rod Langway.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Gave high praise to Abe Pollin, said just after he had gotten off the telephone with Poile telling him he had been traded, Pollin immediately called him apologizing that he was being traded. Always regretted that he didn't make it back for Pollin's funeral.

Said he loved the fans, but admitted the Caps have many more fans now, but he and his wife did not want to leave the area. Evidently he does some corporate motivational speaking. He's only been back to D.C. a few times since retiring from playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad