Post-Game Talk: WPG @ WSH | 2/19/15 | 7PM EST | Caps Win 5-1 Jets Crash and Burn

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Hog, what section are you in?

I was in section 422, row Q. All the way at the tippy top. And Blades was right, excellent view from way up there. Like watching from a blimp, sort of. ;) Really got to see the movement of the players up and down the ice. Will never turn down free nose bleed tickets to a Caps game again. :laugh:

Lmao Hog I'm loving your live commentaries.

To bad my VERIZON cell phone ran out of juice because of **** service. I had some great commentary to share. Here are my highlights:

-Was sitting in the same row with a large group of pubescent gentlemen from a foreign country. Had me crack'en up all game.
-A guy in the section next to me was pretend beating up one of his kids all game. Really pretend beat the crap out of him, impressive display.
-And don't get me started on the old Lady they put in the DC Lottery cash booth during the 2nd intermission, choke job.
-The hallway race between G-Wiz and Slapshot during the 2nd intermission was semi-entertaining thanks to commentary by Elliot Segal and Smokin Al.
-Upon reflection $11 for a 25 oz domestic can (2+ beers worth following my math) was fabulous. And it being chilly all game in Section 422, Row Q kept my beers crisp and refreshing all game. :)

I had a blast despite the fact the Jets were a boring team, the Caps 2nd and 4th lines did dick all game and braving the Polar Vortex to and from the game was a challenge. If I could of gotten the pork Nachos I got at the club level last year up in Section 422 the night would of been perfect.

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
I was in section 422, row Q. All the way at the tippy top. And Blades was right, excellent view from way up there. Like watching from a blimp, sort of. ;) Really got to see the movement of the players up and down the ice. Will never turn down free nose bleed tickets to a Caps game again. :laugh:

To bad my VERIZON cell phone ran out of juice because of **** service. I had some great commentary to share. Here are my highlights:

-Was sitting in the same row with a large group of pubescent gentlemen from a foreign country. Had me crack'en up all game.
-A guy in the section next to me was pretend beating up one of his kids all game. Really pretend beat the crap out of him, impressive display.
-And don't get me started on the old Lady they put in the DC Lottery cash booth during the 2nd intermission, choke job.
-The hallway race between G-Wiz and Slapshot during the 2nd intermission was semi-entertaining thanks to commentary by Elliot Segal and Smokin Al.
-Upon reflection $11 for a 25 oz domestic can (2+ beers worth following my math) was fabulous. And it being chilly all game in Section 422, Row Q kept my beers crisp and refreshing all game. :)

I had a blast despite the fact the Jets were a boring team, the Caps 2nd and 4th lines did dick all game and braving the Polar Vortex to and from the game was a challenge. If I could of gotten the pork Nachos I got at the club level last year up in Section 422 the night would of been perfect.

Those pork Nachos are quite good...

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
pics or it didn't happen

1qpr46.jpg

Couldn't get a picture of her off the jumbotron that did her justice.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
One last thing, took out my OV bobble head when I got home and the only thing that resemebles OV is the missing tooth. Was free though so no complaints. He looks good next to my Groucho Marx looking Brouwer bobble head.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Man, what a game. I was right behind the pane of glass Laich knocked out. Shame the Jets had that flukey goal to break up Holtby's shutout, otherwise it would've been perfect.

Personal highlight though was after the game. One of the guys I was there with serves on the board of a bank in Minnesota with BMac himself, and got him to join us at Clyde's for drinks after the game. His wife was with him - they're both super nice people. Apparently his wife's sister is married to Neal Broten, and they first met after a North Stars game when her car wouldn't start. I got a kick out of following him through Clyde's and watching him go through a sea of Caps fans without any sign of recognition from any of them. Asked him if he's getting recognized yet, he said it doesn't happen often, and he's happy that way.

But anyway, he's a really nice, down to earth guy. Gonna be tough to criticize his moves now that I've met him though :laugh:

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I've kind of double-checked this (although I confess I didn't bother even looking at the teams who have more regulation losses than wins). I believe that since the ends of the games on December 2, when the Caps were 10-10-4 after a tough loss to Vancouver, these are your top ten in standings points per game:

(1) Rangers - 1.5
(2) Nashville - 1.47
(3) Caps - 1.43
(4) Montreal - 1.34
(5) St. Louis - 1.33
(6) Detroit - 1.32
(7) Anaheim - 1.31
(8) Chicago - 1.29
(9) Islanders - 1.26
(10) Tampa - 1.21

The thing I like about this list is the decent gap between the top three and the others.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska

Glad you had fun! :) sounded like a fun game to watch in Washington

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Man, what a game. I was right behind the pane of glass Laich knocked out. Shame the Jets had that flukey goal to break up Holtby's shutout, otherwise it would've been perfect.

Personal highlight though was after the game. One of the guys I was there with serves on the board of a bank in Minnesota with BMac himself, and got him to join us at Clyde's for drinks after the game. His wife was with him - they're both super nice people. Apparently his wife's sister is married to Neal Broten, and they first met after a North Stars game when her car wouldn't start. I got a kick out of following him through Clyde's and watching him go through a sea of Caps fans without any sign of recognition from any of them. Asked him if he's getting recognized yet, he said it doesn't happen often, and he's happy that way.

But anyway, he's a really nice, down to earth guy. Gonna be tough to criticize his moves now that I've met him though :laugh:

And you didn't get the inside scoop on some trades we're trying to work? :shakehead:sarcasm:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I feel ok confirming the Kane rumors though, since those are already out there. They're true right down to the issue being the Jets wanting roster players.
Between this and the Orpik/Niskanen signings maybe you should have introduced him to the salary cap. :laugh:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm sorry, but I'm ****ing pumped. I didn't want to be because it might end in heartbreak, but I am. This is the most fun I've had as a Caps fan since 2009. There is something about this team that's just fun to watch. Ovie looks like a kid again, the team sticks up for each other, they are balanced, Holtbeast is a Jedi knight, and they just look like an actual team. Really enjoying this season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am ramped up too. 40 years dammit.

It's all about Ovi. Trotz deserves some credit, if not a lot. But we have seen Ovi play at this level long before Trotz, of course. So he can't take all the credit.

As Ovi goes, the team goes, and clearly he is taking a different approach to the game than last year. Heck, more like the last 4 years. I am not sure if the passion came back, the league apologized for clamping down on him too much, maybe being single impressing the ladies, not shaving, growing up maturing, being in top shape, he and Nick making a pack to win a cup, whatever it is, Ovi has made us competitive once again, and made hockey top notch entertainment for this fan.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I haven't visited the board much this year until recently and I'm sure this has already been pointed out a lot, but Ovie's passing skills seem to have improved just this year, by a very large amount, even though he's leading the league in goals.

Not saying he's turned into a great passer or anything, but it seems like he's really trying to do what Fedorov advised him to do so many years ago and use his teammates more, and it's really working reasonably well. Maybe a few times he's passed where he definitely should've shot even, which overall I'm cool with given that he's still leading the league in goals.

I'd guess it's one of his best defensive years too although I know that's not really saying much. In terms of what my eyes are telling me, it feels like it's a strong candidate for being his best year overall.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Sounds like Schmidt is close. Would still love to see Orlov, too.

They need another scorer and I'm all in.

I feel Orlov might thrive in this system. Dmen are clearly feeling very free to play offense and advance aggressively when the advantage is there. I'm even seeing them go past the goal line and wheel around the back of the net, which I think Coach Oates used to advise was not advisable. I'd like to see what Orlov would bring to the mix.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Lots of scary moments late in the game. Usually in the Caps games it's been the other teams players that are shaking up but this time it was reversed roles (save for Wheeler).

Green limping to get off after blocking that shot, Burakovsky took pretty big hit from Lowry (and another big one from Buff in the 1st), Holtby was shaking up when Buff drove the net and Latta seemed hurt when he was hit by Trouba who then fell onto his face shoulder first when Latta was down.

Good thing everyone seemed okay.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Sometimes the games just don't go the way the hockey Gods say they should. Big Buff should have rode to the arena on a regal white stallion with trumpets blairing.

Suck it up - suck ups (NHL comentators) the "Big Buff-oon" was bested.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
For the sake of Winnipeg fans, I hope last night was just a bad night at the office, because that's the worst team I've seen at exiting their zone all year. It also might be the worst passing team I've seen.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
For the sake of Winnipeg fans, I hope last night was just a bad night at the office, because that's the worst team I've seen at exiting their zone all year. It also might be the worst passing team I've seen.

At the same time I think they had a vicious forecheck that gave us fits almost all game. Their problem last night was stupid penalties and perhaps lacking in scoring forwards. I like the way they play though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->