Confirmed Trade: [WPG/NYR] Kevin Hayes for Brendan Lemieux, 2019 1st round pick, 2022 conditional 4th round pick

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hayes certainly isn’t who comes to mind when I think of a quick thinker :laugh:

He is a very quick thinker and smart player, think it always was an underrated part of his game.

Looking around the league, there are almost no bigger centers out there. A few still but not many. How many 6’5 centers are there out there besides Hayes playing in any kind of more significant role?

Many got a little down on him early in NY because he disappeared from games his first couple of seasons while the team was pretty grey. And that is of course the risk you run with having a 6’5 center, that guy will never be able to skate with like the top 6’0 skating centers up and down the ice. But he has done a really good job working in his game and is a really smart player. Hayes have always fitted well with smarter players.

Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Fantastic. He tries to get a little cute sometimes when he could just shoot, (as advertised), but he’s been great. Chemistry developing with Ehlers and Connor on second line. And he continually is making defensive plays in our zone.

Knowing very little about him tbh, so far he is everything I was hoping for in Mark Stone, without the hype.

Hayes is a very good player..Stone is a superstar.

Reactions: Mathmew Purrrr Oh

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Hayes is a very good player..Stone is a superstar.
A superstar who has never scored more than 65 points in his NHL career yet!
9.5 million a year, for 8 years, for a 26, almost 27, year old who has never broken the 65 point mark???
Sure.... why not
I'll stick with Hayes thanks. Fills the actual need at a realistic price

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
9.5 million a year, for 8 years, for a 26, almost 27, year old who has never broken the 65 point mark???
Sure.... why not

Lol...Like I said Hayes is good but Stone is at another level

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Sure.... why not
Hayes is not close to Stone in any way, and saying that Stone hasn’t broken 65 points is misleading

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Hayes is not close to Stone in any way, and saying that Stone hasn’t broken 65 points is misleading
I’ve never seen such a player stock rise at the trade deadline than him. He’s good but that contract is horrible.

Blacephalon

Oct 12, 2018
Sure.... why not
Let's just ignore how he's been point per game for two seasons in a row on the worst team in the NHL

Reactions: bert

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think Vegas paid a bit too much for Stone.
He should be closer to 8M.
Also year at 8 instead of 6.

But Vegas wanted him so they did it.

We shall see him the next 2 years if its worth it.

He is pretty good but superstar is a bit much.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
stone would never have fit salary wise on the jets. just like statsny.

good on stone for getting paid.

he may be safer on the coast only facing buf a couple of times than practicing with him

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Stone is a very good player and is better than Hayes. However Hayes is a better fit for the Jets and came at a more reasonable price. The more I see that contract for Stone, the more I think it is somewhat of an overpayment. Don't see how he is worth that much more than Wheeler. Jets would never be able to afford to sign him at that price.

Reactions: NoName

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Sure.... why not
Yep. Stone is great but $9.5 million is crazy money; I think it is the 10th richest contract in the NHL in terms of cap hit. The guy isn’t even a top-10 winger in the NHL.

Heck, for a mere $1.5 million more then Stone’s cap hit (and one year less on the contract) you get a UFA John Tavares, who is a whole order of magnitude better.

The Jets were right to get Hayes (who is admittedly an inferior player) at an affordable cost then grossly overpay Stone.

Last edited:

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Yep. Stone is great but $9.5 million is crazy money; I think it is the 10th richest contract in the NHL in terms of cap hit. The guy isn’t even a top-10 winger in the NHL.

Heck, for a mere $2 million more the Stone’s cap hit (and one year less on the contract) you get a John Tavares.

The Jets were right to get Hayes (who is admittedly an inferior player) at an affordable cost then grossly overpay Stone.

it is really getting out of hand with salaries.

far from the nba or baseball......but

players coming off elc's and signing 12 mil a year

unless the nhl keeps expanding like crazy, or somehow teams on the bubble start to make a lot of money

even with tv money, I do not see the cap going up as fast as some seem to think

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You said “how have Hayes looked” instead of “ how has Hayes looked”.

Hayes’ brother plays in the AHL. Only one Hayes in Winnipeg. Always these problems with new organizations...

BTW, if both Kevin and Jimmy played for the same organization, could I really just ask “How have Hayes looked?” I am no expert on these things, but shouldn’t it have been a ‘the’ inserted before the name? But you don’t have to do anything with the name since it ends with an ‘s’ already (cf ‘how have THE SmithS looked?’)? I really don’t know.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Anyone think the Jets have a shot at re-signing Hayes? How much do you think he'll get in free agency? More than Stastny?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Hayes’ brother plays in the AHL. Only one Hayes in Winnipeg. Always these problems with new organizations...

BTW, if both Kevin and Jimmy played for the same organization, could I really just ask “How have Hayes looked?” I am no expert on these things, but shouldn’t it have been a ‘the’ inserted before the name? But you don’t have to do anything with the name since it ends with an ‘s’ already (cf ‘how have THE SmithS looked?’)? I really don’t know.

Best way to pose that question might be “how have the Hayes brothers looked” as it would eliminate confusion, but honestly as was the case with the Sedins, an (s) gets added to the end to signify plural or more than one.

In the case of Hayes you were correct. You wouldn’t add an (s) at the end because it already ends in (s). You would however add an apostrophe after the (s) like this ... Hayes’

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad