Confirmed Trade: [WPG/NYR] Kevin Hayes for Brendan Lemieux, 2019 1st round pick, 2022 conditional 4th round pick

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Anyone think the Jets have a shot at re-signing Hayes? How much do you think he'll get in free agency? More than Stastny?

They can if he’s willing and the Jets make him a priority.......that being said I doubt they will.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
No its not really. Its actual fact. But what one does with that stat in their own mind is up to them.

however you want to look at it, stone has been over a ppg the last 2 years while being one of the absolute best defensive wingers in the league who does everything right.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Lemieux has been great for the Ranger's. Playing 13-14 minutes a game has really shown what he is capable of. Could be a very nice piece of the Ranger's core for the next few years.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Said it before, but loving this Lemieux kid. He is so scrappy and with more ice time has almost as many points in 7 games with NYR as he did with the Jets in 44. Hope Hayes is doing well in WPG, there is a gap in the NYR lineup down the center that is a bit noticeable.

Ya i got crapped on by some Jets fans when i said that i didnt really like the trade right when it happened cause i hated seeing Lemieux gone from their team.

Happy and not surprised at all seeing him doing this well since the deal...

7gp. 5pts. 19pims. 18sog. 22hits...Since joining NYR

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Said it before, but loving this Lemieux kid. He is so scrappy and with more ice time has almost as many points in 7 games with NYR as he did with the Jets in 44. Hope Hayes is doing well in WPG, there is a gap in the NYR lineup down the center that is a bit noticeable.

Lemieux is a 4th liner with potential to be a top 9 grinder.....love his grit & heart. I told Ranger fans they would like him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Lemieux is a 4th liner with potential to be a top 9 grinder.....love his grit & heart. I told Ranger fans they would like him.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I've been following Lemieux well before the Rangers acquired him and I see much more than a 4th liner. He's one of those guys who probably tops out at 35-40 points and 100PIM's. Maybe not a driver of a top-6 line but can jump up to provide a bit of an edge of needed. More likely to be a really good and valuable 3rd liner.

Reactions: egelband

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Lemieux has been good, but some NYR fans also need to realize our team is very gutted right now and if this was a contending team with better players, his ice time might be pushed down a little to more of a 4th liner than a good top 9. Still, making the most of the opportunity he's getting.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'm not sure I agree with this. I've been following Lemieux well before the Rangers acquired him and I see much more than a 4th liner. He's one of those guys who probably tops out at 35-40 points and 100PIM's. Maybe not a driver of a top-6 line but can jump up to provide a bit of an edge of needed. More likely to be a really good and valuable 3rd liner.

Maybe.....I think that’s being a bit optimistic but as I stated he could become a 3rd liner producing grit and 20-30 points per year on a team without a lot of winger depth. If he plays in anyone’s top six, that team has major problems. He’s in a perfect situation now, rebuilding team without deep roster and will be given every chance in the world to be successful. Hope he becomes a full time nhl player moving forward.

Reactions: RedBar

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Lemieux has been good, but some NYR fans also need to realize our team is very gutted right now and if this was a contending team with better players, his ice time might be pushed down a little to more of a 4th liner than a good top 9. Still, making the most of the opportunity he's getting.
Honestly that is where he belongs. I like the kid. But he should be on the 4th line and be moved up to the 3rd and do okay like Fast was for a few years. Nothing wrong with that. Every team needs depth and solid 4th liners.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If we could get a consistent 30-40 point player that plays a physical game, I'm happy.

I don't even mind some of the eventual and occasional brain farts that these guys tend to have.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If we could get a consistent 30-40 point player that plays a physical game, I'm happy.

I don't even mind some of the eventual and occasional brain farts that these guys tend to have.

Luckily, he seems to make players on the other team have a brain fart moment, more than having a brain fart, himself.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Honestly that is where he belongs. I like the kid. But he should be on the 4th line and be moved up to the 3rd and do okay like Fast was for a few years. Nothing wrong with that. Every team needs depth and solid 4th liners.

Is he getting PP time with the Rangers? I thought he would have been a good PP player for the Jets, but he was never given a shot. I am pretty sure he wanted out of Winnipeg. So far producing at the same rate as Hayes, and Hayes is playing with better players. I don't think this trade is going to be a slam dunk like the Stastny trade, but Hayes is still learning to be play with new linemates (has some instant chemistry with Ehlers), and adapting to the West.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Is he getting PP time with the Rangers? I thought he would have been a good PP player for the Jets, but he was never given a shot. I am pretty sure he wanted out of Winnipeg. So far producing at the same rate as Hayes, and Hayes is playing with better players. I don't think this trade is going to be a slam dunk like the Stastny trade, but Hayes is still learning to be play with new linemates (has some instant chemistry with Ehlers), and adapting to the West.
So right now he is playing on the 3rd line because we don't really have a top 9 anymore. He is doing well in that roll. Not officailly on a PP unit but i wouldnt be surprised if Quinn gave him a shift every once in a while. He is a fan of the net front guy being physical in the crease and right now has Krieder and Strome doing that.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
So right now he is playing on the 3rd line because we don't really have a top 9 anymore. He is doing well in that roll. Not officailly on a PP unit but i wouldnt be surprised if Quinn gave him a shift every once in a while. He is a fan of the net front guy being physical in the crease and right now has Krieder and Strome doing that.
He’s actually proved to be very good in the A and OHL at tipping pucks in and swatting in pucks from in close. It’s one thing he’s good at so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him do well there.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Lemieux was a steal for the Rangers.
I think they knew exactly what he could provide for them and it has been missing since Avery retired.

Yep. It's an easy comparison to make. IMO he's less skilled than Avery but also less of a liability. And I doubt he does research on opponents to piss them off like Avery did. But it's definitely something we have been missing for a while now and he does the job very well.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Way too early to label him a fourth line player. He's 22 and has 60 total NHL games. He's not obviously defined as a guy with any specific role yet imo.

And the talk about his ice time being the main reason he's been scoring kind of rests on the idea that anyone can score with enough ice time. Obviously that's not the case.

Absolute best case scenario, he becomes a Wilson type who can roll with top 6 lines, be a distraction and mismatch for the other team and not hold back more skilled players from doing their thing. That's not the most likely outcome, but that's still a possible ceiling.

Most likely, third liner 15-15 or 20-20 type who provides energy and is a horrible pain to play against.

Him being a career fourth liner wouldn't be totally shocking or a waste to me, but it's way, way too early to say that's where he'll top out with any level of certainty.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Way too early to label him a fourth line player. He's 22 and has 60 total NHL games. He's not obviously defined as a guy with any specific role yet imo.

And the talk about his ice time being the main reason he's been scoring kind of rests on the idea that anyone can score with enough ice time. Obviously that's not the case.

Absolute best case scenario, he becomes a Wilson type who can roll with top 6 lines, be a distraction and mismatch for the other team and not hold back more skilled players from doing their thing. That's not the most likely outcome, but that's still a possible ceiling.

Most likely, third liner 15-15 or 20-20 type who provides energy and is a horrible pain to play against.

Him being a career fourth liner wouldn't be totally shocking or a waste to me, but it's way, way too early to say that's where he'll top out with any level of certainty.
I think that was his frustration in Winnipeg, he could not get above the 4th line/pressbox role, certainly that was what his dad inferred, and I think he has some of his father's flair. He's going to have a good career in the NHL, Rangers are rebuilding a contender quick, with prospects and draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad