Confirmed with Link: [WPG/NYR] Hayes for 2019 1st, (F) Brendan Lemieux & Cond. 2022 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Watching Lemieux's junior highlights, you can see a lot of his dad in his physical appearance and skating style. He does not seem to have the shot his dad had. I will never forget that top cheese goal he scored against us with Montreal that ended our playoff run in 86. In any case, I think he has that kind of confident aggressive attitude where if given opportunity his game will develop into 20-25 goal scorer. Like his dad, he will be a strong playoff performer if he's still with us when we get back to the POs.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I expected to get a bigger return for Hayes (wouldn't mind if they re-sign him July 1st) but a rare agitator in Lemieux makes me happy. the 1st rounder will be very late though, and the optional 4th rounder if they win a Cup is a joke.

Reactions: Ola

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I expected to get a bigger return for Hayes (wouldn't mind if they re-sign him July 1st) but a rare agitator in Lemieux makes me happy. the 1st rounder will be very late though, and the optional 4th rounder if they win a Cup is a joke.
I expected a better return for Zucc but I thought the Hayes deal was about right (other than the joke 4th rounder but I don't know much about Lemieux). Hayes wants too much $ and years so WPG probably just wants him for a cup run. He'll do great there if they extend him though.

Reactions: bl02

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Been reading up on Winnipeg fan reactions. They really are split on Lemieux and his potential. What's interesting is that some see him as a 4th line plug, others see him as having 3rd/2nd line potential. I'm not sure what to make of it. But what I do find interesting is that this is really his first full season. The fans who think he's only a 4th liner sound more impatient than us. Sounds like how we talk about Lias. Granted Lemieux is 22. But he seems like a very straight line kind of player. Lacks creativity a bit. Has 11 pts in 44 games but only 2 assists. But he's only played 53 NHL games total. His numbers aren't that far off from Chytil or Andersson and they're all very different players. I am curious to see what Quinn can do with him. Ala D'Angelo.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Man it stings to lose Lemiuex, He has turned into quite a player. Being a Yankees fan i am glad he went to New York if we had to trade him. Nice trade for you guys

Glad to hear that!

His G/A is quite lopsided. Can he move the puck? How is he defensively?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Been reading up on Winnipeg fan reactions. They really are split on Lemieux and his potential. What's interesting is that some see him as a 4th line plug, others see him as having 3rd/2nd line potential. I'm not sure what to make of it. But what I do find interesting is that this is really his first full season. The fans who think he's only a 4th liner sound more impatient than us. Sounds like how we talk about Lias. Granted Lemieux is 22. But he seems like a very straight line kind of player. Lacks creativity a bit. Has 11 pts in 44 games but only 2 assists. But he's only played 53 NHL games total. His numbers aren't that far off from Chytil or Andersson and they're all very different players. I am curious to see what Quinn can do with him. Ala D'Angelo.

I'm not saying that he has this talent level, but whenever I think of power fowards with speed, grit and a straight-head game who start their careers on the 4th line, I think of Bill Guerin. Granted that Guerin was a top-5 pick, but he got into the NHL at 21, had some decent years and then really caught on at about 25.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I mean when the only guy in the NHL averaging less ice-time than you is Cody McLeod, scoring more than 11 pts in 44 games is pretty... impossible. Winnipeg's environment couldn't be more different than ours. I have no idea how good this kid is or can be, but the opportunity to play anywhere in our lineup is there. FFS we have Brendan Smith playing wing right now. :laugh:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I mean when the only guy in the NHL averaging less ice-time than you is Cody McLeod, scoring more than 11 pts in 44 games is pretty... impossible. Winnipeg's environment couldn't be more different than ours. I have no idea how good this kid is or can be, but the opportunity to play anywhere in our lineup is there. FFS we have Brendan Smith playing wing right now. :laugh:

He should have plenty more opportunity here. The big question is how long will it take for Quinn to get him playing the way he wants? I think there will be a long leash for a few games and then I think it'll be a process for the remainder of the year.

Lastly, there is another factor at play. Lemieux is finishing his ELC this season. There will be a negotiation this off-season. I think he will come in wanting to impress. Just hope everyone from player to fans shows patience as I think it could take time for him to mesh and find his place on the team.

Reactions: nyrage

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
He should have plenty more opportunity here. The big question is how long will it take for Quinn to get him playing the way he wants? I think there will be a long leash for a few games and then I think it'll be a process for the remainder of the year.

Lastly, there is another factor at play. Lemieux is finishing his ELC this season. There will be a negotiation this off-season. I think he will come in wanting to impress. Just hope everyone from player to fans shows patience as I think it could take time for him to mesh and find his place on the team.

I think he already possesses several of the core attributes that Quinn preaches. I think he catches on pretty quickly. Developing his skills is another story. That takes time with most young players.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm hoping he ends up being Sean Avery, but at the very least, I could see him being Carcillo.

I loved Carcillo.

In terms of style I think he is more like a mix of Kreider and Carcillo if you get what I mean. He is really fast.

I can’t say for sure that he will become twice he player Dale Weise is, but he certainly has potential for it from what I’ve seen.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm hoping he ends up being Sean Avery, but at the very least, I could see him being Carcillo.

I loved Carcillo.

Carcillo was a SOB.

The only good thing Carcillo ever done was score that goal against Philly and taunted their fans.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'm not saying that he has this talent level, but whenever I think of power fowards with speed, grit and a straight-head game who start their careers on the 4th line, I think of Bill Guerin. Granted that Guerin was a top-5 pick, but he got into the NHL at 21, had some decent years and then really caught on at about 25.

Tocchet

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need Nashville to win the Central division. Nashville beat Edmonton last night 3-2 in a shootout. Winnipeg has three games in hand. The Athletic analyzed strength of schedules a few weeks ago. Winnipeg has the 3rd toughest schedule left in the NHL. Nashville added Granlund and Simmonds who are better than Fiala and Hartman. Winnipeg is banged up. Byfuglien is hurt. He was hurt in December(ankle) and returned earlier month. He got hurt again. LBI. Morrissey suffered an UBI on Sunday. Left arm injury.

As of today

4 division winners

31-TB
30-Calgary
29-Islanders
28-Nashville

27-Sharks
26-Boston
25-Leafs
24-Jets

Nashville wins the division. Winnipeg doesn't reach the WCF. A team or two behind the Jets makes the conference final. Can the Blues get out of the Central? The Blues beat Nashville back to back games a few weeks ago. TB makes it out of the Atlantic. A team besides the Islanders reaches the ECF out of the Metro. The West is a toss up. You could see Vegas get out of that division again. They added Stone. Fleury is the best goalie in that division. Calgary's goaltending is a concern. The Sharks are brittle. Karlsson has a nagging groin issue. Jones is OK.

Final 4 teams pick 28-31. Conference finalists.

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Lemieux is a very young power forward. I'm just as, if not more excited as the rest of you but it's important to understand he is very young and still developing. If he comes in and has 5 points in his final 20 games that's not a bad ending to his season.

He has things that are not easily taught. He plays with an aggressive edge. He has no fear in driving to the net. He gets under the opponents skin regularly. This organization, for whatever reason, can't seem to develop these types of players and they are pretty unique in today's NHL as finding kids who relish in playing the game like this often find it more difficult to keep up at the NHL level. Lemieux has scored at every level including a very good pace in the AHL last year. 11 points in 44 games while playing on the 4th line is actually pretty good production.

Also key to remember, with the playing style he plays, he will cross the line and take a bad penalty now and then, especially as he develops. People need to take the good with the bad and let him develop.

Quinn is going to love him though and I expect the team to continue adding players like him. Gorton helped build a Boston team that was not lacking in skill, or the ability to inflict pain on the opposing team. It would appear, he has a similar blueprint here in NY.

Reactions: dlam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->