Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Nikolaj Ehlers signs extension (7 years, $6M AAV)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Good deal. You could hardly have expected him to sign for 5.xmil, so this probably is as low as was possible, though it does leave one year on the table.

I don't think it was a great move by Ehlers to sign this deal now, however. IMO he was very snake bitten last season and this season he should have a very big season. If I was him, I would have waited a season. Although, I can understand why he would want to sign the contract as soon as possible(security).

Reactions: robertocarlos

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I dunno Eichel got 10 mil hasnt even hit 60 points yet

He had 57 points in 61 games, had over 4 shots/game in his second season. Healthy Eichel is putting up 80-85 points...he'll be worth 10M or close to it before his contract starts (he's still on ELC right now).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I dunno Eichel got 10 mil hasnt even hit 60 points yet
Center + Pedigree. It's a contract for potential, not for what he's earned. It's a contract relying on him to hit his potential to be profitable.

This contract by Ehlers, on the other hand, is a contract that already is fair value but will be a steal if Ehlers does hit his potential.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Good deal. You could hardly have expected him to sign for 5.xmil, so this probably is as low as was possible, though it does leave one year on the table.

I don't think it was a great move by Ehlers to sign this deal now, however. IMO he was very snake bitten last season and this season he should have a very big season. If I was him, I would have waited a season. Although, I can understand why he would want to sign the contract as soon as possible(security).

If you had 100% chance to take 42 mil right now, would you wait for one year to get 90% chance to get ~50 mil?

Sure that contract will become a bargain, but it's hard to say NO to 42 mil. Look what happened to Fabbri.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Right... Hard time keeping talent.

Scheifele... 8 years x $6.125M
Little... 6 years x $5.29M
Ehlers... 7 years x $6M

Jets are identifying core players that aren't just focused on playing where they can golf during the season. These are players that love playing in a hockey-mad market with a very professional management and ownership group that treats players and their families well, and acts with utmost professionalism.

Kudos to Scheifele for taking less than market value to stay with the Jets. Normally Jets would have to overpay.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If you had 100% chance to take 42 mil right now, would you wait for one year to get 90% chance to get ~50 mil?

Sure that contract will become a bargain, but it's hard to say NO to 42 mil.

This is why Star players don't normally make it to Free Agency. Also why I'd be getting really damn nervous as an Islanders fan. A guy like Tavares would have to be pretty ballsy to turn down $60+ millon guaranteed.

Reactions: Breakdowns

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
VERY good deal for the Jets. I think he was poised to have a huge offensive year, so not sure this was smart on his part. Though that seems silly to say when he's guaranteed 42 million dollars, lol. Congrats to the Jets.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That should keep Nylander and Marner below 7M as well.

Sweet!

Not necessarily true, if they replicate their 60+ seasons they will make over 7. Ehlers had 38 in 72 his rookie year.

102 in 154 is a lot less than 125 in 160 when it comes to contracts.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Wow. we robbed another player lol. I thought for sure he would go one more season putting up good numbers before he signed.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
This is why Star players don't normally make it to Free Agency. Also why I'd be getting really damn nervous as an Islanders fan. A guy like Tavares would have to be pretty ballsy to turn down $60+ millon guaranteed.

Speaking of free agency, I think Stastny gets 6m+ from some team desperate for a center next off-season, and he's no where near worth that any more. Just goes to show even more how good of a deal this is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad