Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Nikolaj Ehlers signs extension (7 years, $6M AAV)

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Good deal for the Jets.

Expect this is the market for Nylander and Marner now unless they go off this season

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Thank god there is sanity returning after the Draisaitl signing. This is just about right and what I was expecting for Marner and Nylander until things got crazy.

Perfect contract.

Time is running out on a Nylander discount to be honest. He will come in at more than Ehlers...I think the most likely scenario is that his agent has told him to hold off on signing till after he plays this year out just like Eichel was told to do before he had a change of heart.

6M will be there even after this year if he doesn't improve his point totals at all. If he improves, then he gets closer to Tarasenko money. There is one advantage to that though, we likely get Nylander to sign for 8 years instead of 7.

6M cap hit for a player who still has potential to be more than what he's shown is fantastic value.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Oh my god. This is even better than I expected. My best case scenario was the Forsberg deal.

Also, how happy are Leafs fans for seeing this one before locking up Nylander? I'm guessing that you could have seen worse news.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Outstanding! Chevy locking good players at reasonable deals. The Jets players realize they are building towards something special and want to be a part of it long term.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Draisaitl deal looking more heinous by the day. Thanks for ruining player contracts and setting terrible precedent for public arena funding Edmonton! Real champions.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The one-two deals for Scheifele and Ehlers are fantastic. Scheifele set the benchmark at just over $6M for 8 years. Ehlers slots in just under that.

"Do nothing Chevy" has had an outstanding run lately.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I put Ehlers in the same tier of Pastrnak. Had he produced better on the PP, his numbers would be similar last season. Great cap hit for a young core player that has a terrific attitude and loves playing in Winnipeg. This ensures he will be part of their core for many years to come.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And we were told Winnipeg would have a tough time retaining talent.

Congrats Jets fans. Excellent deal.

Right... Hard time keeping talent.

Scheifele... 8 years x $6.125M
Little... 6 years x $5.29M
Ehlers... 7 years x $6M

Jets are identifying core players that aren't just focused on playing where they can golf during the season. These are players that love playing in a hockey-mad market with a very professional management and ownership group that treats players and their families well, and acts with utmost professionalism.

Reactions: pictman

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Time is running out on a Nylander discount to be honest. He will come in at more than Ehlers...I think the most likely scenario is that his agent has told him to hold off on signing till after he plays this year out just like Eichel was told to do before he had a change of heart.

6M will be there even after this year if he doesn't improve his point totals at all. If he improves, then he gets closer to Tarasenko money. There is one advantage to that though, we likely get Nylander to sign for 8 years instead of 7.

6M cap hit for a player who still has potential to be more than what he's shown is fantastic value.

They are pretty comparable players so I think you might be showing some bias here. Yes if he jumps another 10-15 points this season it could hurt but lets not hijack this thread, it's not about us.

saxonmiller

May 26, 2017
Winnipeg
giphy.gif

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Brilliant signing. How Chevy keeps doing this, I'm not sure...

Ehlers put up 64 points last season, even if he were to top out as a 60-65 point guy for the duration of this new contract, it's still fair value. The fact that he will *likely* top out as a 75-80 point forward makes this contract a damn steal...

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Jets are identifying core players that aren't just focused on playing where they can golf during the season. These are players that love playing in a hockey-mad market with a very professional management and ownership group that treats players and their families well, and acts with utmost professionalism.

Quoted for the truth!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad