Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Neal Pionk signed (4 years, $5.875M AAV)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think you are mixing up a good deal with Market value. Pions is a good deal based on limited amounts of games at this level. He is solid and deserves that money and more, but if I am in a 7 games series against a team with some size then I want Nurse or Jones in that spot and I am willing to pay extra for the size and grit.

We just saw a head to head match up with Pionk and Nurse in the playoffs.

Pionk had more hits, more blocked shots, shots on net and points than Nurse despite playing considerably less minutes. And most importantly Pionk’s team won.

Add their price tags into the equation and best bang for your buck easily goes to Pionk

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

Pionk had more hits, more blocked shots, shots on net and points than Nurse despite playing considerably less minutes. And most importantly Pionk’s team won.

Add their price tags into the equation and best bang for your buck easily goes to Pionk
Poster lost me at grit.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I think you are mixing up a good deal with Market value. Pions is a good deal based on limited amounts of games at this level. He is solid and deserves that money and more, but if I am in a 7 games series against a team with some size then I want Nurse or Jones in that spot and I am willing to pay extra for the size and grit.

You were in a 7 game series against a rather small team a couple of months ago and Nurse didn't help the Oilers win one game.

That said, I really like Nurse. He is the type of D that I've always respected for decades and wish he was on my team. Just not at 9.25M in a flat cap world.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Honestly, his first year wasn’t that bad. He had lousy partners. I think it was more a case of Ranger fans seeing the name and the contract so they were expecting a little more of a franchise defenseman while Trouba is really just a solid all around #2 or terrific #3. Id still rather pay Trouba 8 million than Pionk 6 million. I think this is a trade that worked for both clubs.
Even as a jets fan I still do prefer Trouba, especially the Trouba that played here. However if you’re happy paying Trouba 8 mil to be a terrific #3 that’s an issue.

Reactions: TS Quint

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Yeah I knew Pionk was going to wind up being just as good as Trouba. Alot of the tweets about the Jets getting fleeced in the trade did NOT age well. I'm taking Pionk + Heinola over Trouba and that contract of his. Good move for the Jets. Pionk and Heinola should be good top 4 D for a long time. Trouba is still a great player but him at 8 million for like 5 more years is not good.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah I knew Pionk was going to wind up being just as good as Trouba. Alot of the tweets about the Jets getting fleeced in the trade did NOT age well. I'm taking Pionk + Heinola over Trouba and that contract of his. Good move for the Jets. Pionk and Heinola should be good top 4 D for a long time. Trouba is still a great player but him at 8 million for like 5 more years is not good.

Probably just semantics, but Trouba is definitley not 'great', neither is Pionk though. If contracts werent' a factor, id prob take Troobs. With contracts I'd probably rather have Neal back as a Ranger fan.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Agreed. I was one of the idiots calling for Chevy's head ... how wrong I was!

Guilty.

I honestly thought he was a 6/7 at best. He always seemed like a liability. In his defense he was playing on a top pair with Marc Staal...

I saw him as a defensive liability and offensive defenseman whose offense wasn’t great enough to justify that. I’ll gladly admit I was wrong - good for him.

As my Dad used to say, “A person who can admit they’re all wrong when they’re all wrong, is alright.”

Hat tip to all the Rangers fans wishing Neal & the Jets well.
46A65196-B3DB-47C5-B542-C6B8FDB87737.gif

Like many others have mentioned, with the market for Defencemen this off-season, I was worried this would be another Million. Really happy to see it where it landed & hopefully Copp gets signed soon.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton

Yes because a smart GM will ignore 100 plus games and focus only on 4, when handing out multi year contracts

:huh::huh::huh:

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Happy for Neal. He really turned it around in peg. As a limited viewer, I don’t see first line anything with him. Feels like he checked Mcdavid one game and got paid.

Was top 3 in 5v5 points by D men most of the season. Counting stats aren't and good as other D because for whatever reason Maurice would rather have Morrissey on PP1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad