Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Neal Pionk signed (4 years, $5.875M AAV)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I was also one of those who was glad Pionk was traded, because he was awful in New York, but there were legit reasons for that. He played in a role above his head in a bad defensive system with a D partner that was trash. He has really lifted his game in Winnipeg.

If NYR could, they would probably want Pionk back instead of Trouba's contract, which he isn't earning. But, I think Winnipeg's game just fits Pionk game better, so who knows? The NYR blueline looks really promising this season anyway.

It's nice to see that Pionk could energize his career after the trade, that's the kind of trades you want to see. Trouba hasn't made a fool of himself either, but he's not a $8m D-man in my eyes.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Instead of taking 2 of my post, both unrelated to each other, and piece them together with your confused head scratch, maybe go back and read both under the context they were made.

The poster stated that Pionk's contract was a huge overpayment because he sucked in the Montreal series, which was a 4 game sweep.

When I replied that a GM would be an idiot to base his judgment for a long term contract off of 4 games, when he played over a 140 with us through 2 seasons, another poster replied that they would take Nurse over Pionk in a best of 7 and were willing to overpay for Nurses' services because he brings grit over Pionk.

That is when I replied with the FACT that Pionk and Nurse just went head to head in the playoffs, and Pionk outplayed him and out gritted him.

Still confused??

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
u don't understand. Even based on those 100 games, he doesn't deserve 6m
Please educate yourself on comps before putting out your barometer for a signing. You obviously do not understand what a top 4 dMen get in this league.

I am not going to waste my time showing you the oodles of comps, that all show Pionk's contract is good value, trust you have the internet and can enlighten yourself with some facts.

While it goes without saying, based off the 144 games Pionk has played for us, his output, playing top minutes, playing a 200 ft game while putting up over .5 points per, one of the highest hitting d men in the league, plays physical and mans the pp, 5.85 is well below market value.

Last edited:

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Please educate yourself on comps before putting out your barometer for a signing. You do not understand what a top 4 Man get in this league.

I am not going to waste my time showing you the oodles of comps, that all show Pionk's contract is good value, trust you have the internet and can enlighten yourself with some facts.

While it goes without saying, based off the 144 games Pionk has played for us, his output, playing top minutes, playing a 200 ft game while putting up over .5 points per, one of the highest hitting d men in the league, plays physical and mans the point, 5.85 is below market value.
He’s also 13th in the entire league for points for D men in the last two seasons.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I like the contract. I think it’s fair for both sides, a typical Chevy contract.

I think some of my fellow Jet fans need to calm down. Calling it a great contract compared to contracts that were widely considered overpayments isn’t impressive and isn’t necessary.

I also don’t understand the crapping on Trouba. He was excellent with the Jets and Morrissey’s has missed him every game since he was traded. The spread sheet watching Jet fans hated Pionk when he came over to Winnipeg. Shows you what they know. Seems like it’s more of a Ranger problem than a player problem. Trouba seems to have been put in a role where they don’t take advantage of what they paid him for. Not to say it isn’t the right decision, he got put behind some pretty good players. But you can’t expect him to keep producing when you don’t give him the same opportunity.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I think it's a very good contract for the Jets, especially in light of some other recent D-men signings. I really liked Pionk as a Jet from day one and he's only gotten better.

I also don’t understand the crapping on Trouba. He was excellent with the Jets and Morrissey’s has missed him every game since he was traded. The spread sheet watching Jet fans hated Pionk when he came over to Winnipeg. Shows you what they know. Seems like it’s more of a Ranger problem than a player problem. Trouba seems to have been put in a role where they don’t take advantage of what they paid him for. Not to say it isn’t the right decision, he got put behind some pretty good players. But you can’t expect him to keep producing when you don’t give him the same opportunity.

Agree with this, whatever you think of Trouba's play in NYR, there's absolutely zero reason to believe Morrissey-Trouba wouldn't have continued to be a great pairing if Trouba stayed a Jet. On the balance I do prefer Pionk&Heinola over Trouba, especially taking contracts into account, but on the other hand Morrissey has been a shadow of his former self after Trouba was gone. They were a legit first pairing and complimentet each other very well. Of course having Buff anchor/carry the 2nd pairing was huge for the Jets, but even without Buff I think the Jets D would've been better off with Trouba in the short term.

Looking forward, I like the trade from Jets perspective, but there's no denying losing Trouba was a huge part of the D mess the Jets were in.

Reactions: libertarian

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think it's a very good contract for the Jets, especially in light of some other recent D-men signings. I really liked Pionk as a Jet from day one and he's only gotten better.

Agree with this, whatever you think of Trouba's play in NYR, there's absolutely zero reason to believe Morrissey-Trouba wouldn't have continued to be a great pairing if Trouba stayed a Jet. On the balance I do prefer Pionk&Heinola over Trouba, especially taking contracts into account, but on the other hand Morrissey has been a shadow of his former self after Trouba was gone. They were a legit first pairing and complimentet each other very well. Of course having Buff anchor/carry the 2nd pairing was huge for the Jets, but even without Buff I think the Jets D would've been better off with Trouba in the short term.

Looking forward, I like the trade from Jets perspective, but there's no denying losing Trouba was a huge part of the D mess the Jets were in.
If I’m hazarding a guess I think there is still resentment towards Trouba because we were forced to deal with one team due to his agents strong hold on us.

The fact we were still able to forge out what looks to be a great deal makes some want to do a little “ in your face Trouba!”

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Please educate yourself on comps before putting out your barometer for a signing. You do not understand what a top 4 Man get in this league.

While it goes without saying, based off the 144 games Pionk has played for us, his output, playing top minutes, playing a 200 ft game while putting up over .5 points per, one of the highest hitting d men in the league, plays physical and mans the pp, 5.85 is well below market value.
I guess time will tell if I was right. Clearly no one is gonna change their opinion on some internet banter

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Instead of taking 2 of my post, both unrelated to each other, and piece them together with your confused head scratch, maybe go back and read both under the context they were made.

The poster stated that Pionk's contract was a huge overpayment because he sucked in the Montreal series, which was a 4 game sweep.

When I replied that a GM would be an idiot to base his judgment for a long term contract off of 4 games, when he played over a 140 with us through 2 seasons, another poster replied that they would take Nurse over Pionk in a best of 7 and were willing to overpay for Nurses' services because he brings grit over Pionk.

That is when I replied with the FACT that Pionk and Nurse just went head to head in the playoffs, and Pionk outplayed him and out gritted him.

Still confused??

While context does matter, it's still quite humorous that you use a 4 game sample of "facts" to prove that Pionk is the superior player to Nurse while claiming that his 4 game sweep of Montreal was not indicative of his play and he's worth this contract.

If you actually look at the data some of your stats are wrong or cherry picked as you used SOG instead of total shots and according to the hockeyref site , Nurse had more blocked shots (which don't mean shit along with hits imo). Nurse played #1 minutes by a longshot and Pionk played #2 closely followed by Forbort. Ofc the series is quite controversial as even neutral fans could see the lack of penalties called (especially on McDavid) so I don't take it too seriously. Would you take Erik Gustafsson in a playoff series because he outscored Pionk by one point? Your logic does not apply. Typical HFBoards "check out these cherry picked stats, small sample size, or chart" to claim that they are correct. Ridiculous.

As for his contract, I'm of the opinion that he's not worth it but time will tell so I'm willing to admit that.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
While context does matter, it's still quite humorous that you use a 4 game sample of "facts" to prove that Pionk is the superior player to Nurse while claiming that his 4 game sweep of Montreal was not indicative of his play and he's worth this contract.

If you actually look at the data some of your stats are wrong or cherry picked as you used SOG instead of total shots and according to the hockeyref site , Nurse had more blocked shots (which don't mean shit along with hits imo). Nurse played #1 minutes by a longshot and Pionk played #2 closely followed by Forbort. Ofc the series is quite controversial as even neutral fans could see the lack of penalties called (especially on McDavid) so I don't take it too seriously. Would you take Erik Gustafsson in a playoff series because he outscored Pionk by one point? Your logic does not apply. Typical HFBoards "check out these cherry picked stats, small sample size, or chart" to claim that they are correct. Ridiculous.

As for his contract, I'm of the opinion that he's not worth it but time will tell so I'm willing to admit that.
Compared to Nurse’s contract, Pionk is a bargain.

Reactions: hn777

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I guess time will tell if I was right. Clearly no one is gonna change their opinion on some internet banter

One thing we know is that Pionk has been stapled to terrible partners since he's joined the Jets and he has still improved an incredible amount in that time. This year he's going to get to play with Dillon or Morrissey for the majority of his minutes. That's going to make it easier for him to replicate or improve upon his previous 2 seasons. He's being paid top 4 money and finally gets to have a top 4 partner.

That means he has a good chance of bringing value to this contract.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
If I’m hazarding a guess I think there is still resentment towards Trouba because we were forced to deal with one team due to his agents strong hold on us.

The fact we were still able to forge out what looks to be a great deal makes some want to do a little “ in your face Trouba!”
Trouba is a player Jets fans will never get over. He was drafted as our franchise 1RHD, but wouldn't extend despite the team being good. Since then, you get this pathetic jilted lover talk whenever Pionk or Trouba come up. Jets fans act like they've never been happier, but the heartbreak and insecurity is obvious in every post.

I feel slightly more objective. I would have liked to see Trouba stay a Jet and would have happily paid $8M if it was possible. But it wasn't and we've moved on. I'm happy with where we are now and don't feel the need to obsess about Trouba or the trade anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad