Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Neal Pionk signed (4 years, $5.875M AAV)

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Fair deal....he is a very good player.....4 years keeps the AAV down...a long term 6-7 year deal would have been in the high 6s so Jets could not fit that in

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Great contact considering the market for defenseman. After seeing the nurse contract I wouldn't have been surprised to see 7M+

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
fair, reasonable deal. i wouldn't want to give pionk 6-8 years at 26 YO with really only 1 high-end year under his belt (under some extraordinary circumstances; no divisional crossing, shortened year)

he's been paired w/ some pretty crap partners here..... sbisa, kulikov and derek frickin forbort. he will likely have his best partner next year in dillon, so hopefully he can build on his great season he just had.

Reactions: slurpee addict

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Interesting career so far. 6.5M over 3 years is what I initially guessed. I thought he would push to hit UFA in his 20's and get a big long payday with a slightly shorter contract. That said, given that he hasnt been "paid" yet, it makes sense for him to capitalize and grab the extra year in case of regression or injury.

Obviously the Jets did well here getting the lower AAV over what will likely be the best years of his career.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
At a time when Darnel Nurse can command 9.25m AAV I guess this is par for the course. I like the term. The AAV? Not so much. Rather Pionk in the 5m range.

Jets have given themselves a 3 year window to win the cup with this core.

Is this core good enough?

I thought they were last year being in the North disappointing how they went out. Still like their team but hard to digest how they folded against Montreal when they could have had a legit chance to get to the finals

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad