Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Neal Pionk signed (4 years, $5.875M AAV)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
do the Jets have space for Copp now? On capfriendly are they factoring in Little on LTIR because of not they have zero dollars to spend ........

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
do the Jets have space for Copp now? On capfriendly are they factoring in Little on LTIR because of not they have zero dollars to spend ........

We have the balance of Little's LTIR ($3.23M). I calculated $4.383M if Beaulieu's $1.25M is moved, since I doubt Copp signs under $4M.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know if he's worth THAT much a season. I'd say maybe $5 Million a season at most. But it still beats Trouba's contract.

What do you think he's worth over 4 years? Pretty much every measurable stat says he's at least a solid #2 in this league while playing with trash partners like Forbort.

Reactions: Sweech

LyNX27

Crazy that with Trouba refusing to go anywhere but NYC that the Jets were able to upgrade him to a better defenseman and add a prospect defenseman who projects to be better than him too.

I think at the time of the trade no one would have said that Pionk would have evolved into what he is now. It looks like getting him on the PP and keeping him on the PP seems to have really unlocked his potential.

Glad to see him doing well.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
and their blue line has been a major weakness since then. But happy for Neal, he's always had good offensive skills. Not bad for an undrafted FA
Pionk has nothing to do with the blueline weakness. Him and Morrissey were our only two NHL-calibre defenders until DeMelo was brought in; the blue line sucked not because we upgraded Trouba to Pionk but because we replaced Myers, Buff and Chiarot with guys like Sbisa, Bitteto, Forbort and decided it would be smart to give Poolman and Beaulieu first pairing minutes.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
and their blue line has been a major weakness since then. But happy for Neal, he's always had good offensive skills. Not bad for an undrafted FA
And New Yorks' D got crappier when he left. He has outperformed Trouba for the past 2 seasons, and is now playing at 2million less per season than Jacob. He has also produced better numbers playing with lesser partners than Trouba over the past 2 seasons.

Pionk was hardly the problem with our D, and most nights was our best D. His offense is ok, but he also plays a strong defensive game as well and he has a surprising physicality to his game for his size. This is a solid signing for a top 4 Dman that plays a well rounded game.

Pionk will be playing with his best defensive partner this upcoming season, which I think will impact his game immensely and make this contract a steal by seasons end.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

The Jets were counting on getting 2 more years of Buff as their top #1RD. His retiring on the first day of camp following the Trouba trade which Trouba demanded for wreck the Jets D that has now finally been fix. Buff retiring out of the blue and leaving 14 million dollars on the table is what really hurt the Jets D not the Trouba trade which 2 years later the Jets won easily even though Trouba had a gun to Chevy's head by only wanting to play for the Rangers.

Pionk has become a great asset for the Jets. Hat tip to the Jets scouting department.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
You mean choosing copp and comrie over Appleton and brossoit and still possibly losing copp in the end.

Brossoit was leaving anyways. He wants more work. Copp must be better and Chevy is trying his best to keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad