Confirmed Trade: [WPG/MTL] Joel Armia, Steve Mason, 2020 4th & 2019 7th to Habs for Simon Bourque

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Nah I watched maybe 75 regular season games and all jets playoff games. He's ultra talented and never played above the third line. Yah he's inconsistent but his best linemate was the also the inconsistent Little.

I guess you watched just last year.
He did get his chances before that.

He was not going to unseat Wheeler and Laine at the RW spot anyways.

Brownies

Its Timmins*
And yah he's not good. Outside the 2007 draft which is an outlier/anomaly he's been rather horrid. But wow let's just say hes great because trash like Michael McCarron, Jared tinordi, louie leblanc, etc played a few games on the 4th line and last pairing on a depthless habs team. Timmins gets credit for 2 things. 2007 draft and Carey price. Hes lived off these anomalies for his career. Just because you draft a few dime a dozen grinders (Ryan White, Matt D'agostini, etc) that end up playing 300 plus games, doesn't make you a draft genius (which skews those GP numbers). I hope you understand that.

If the Habs didn't trade McDonagh, Subban and Sergachev, Habs would not be the laughing stock of the league and Timmins would be reknown for his great ability to draft Dmen. We should be close to Nashville on D, skill wise but here we are having scrubs like Alzner in the top 4. Mete and Juulsen are also looking good. Blame our GMs.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
I've counted at least 15 players who've played over 300 games in the NHL, and over 20 players who've logged at least 100 games, in drafts since Timmins was hired as director of player development.

And that's not counting Pacioretty, Subban, McDonagh, or Price since people like to nitpick and pretend like they don't count either. Do the same for every other team in the league and you can't name 5 that have drafted better in that same time period.

Some of you just have an agenda and want to say everything about the Habs sucks, when in reality, it's you who sucks.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
If Montreal is in rebuilding phase, which it is honestly, down the line what will they have left let say in 3-4 years? niet zero... so why make the trade? to make a trade? Those 2 drafts picks, you need to be lucky to get something out of them. Armia, easily replaceble in FA market.

Would it be better to just let the cap space go to waste like last season? If a team is rebuilding and has cap space, they should use it to their advantage to get some assets, and that's exactly what the Habs have done here. Yes, the picks are long shots, which is the reason that the more you have, the better. Armia is a decent player, who if they decide he's not in their plans, can be flipped for another pick. It's really a no-lose situation for the Habs in the current situation. The only things they lose are cap space (which they don't need to use if they're rebuilding) and cash (which they have plenty of).

It's amazing that as a Leaf fan I'm explaining why the Habs made a solid trade. :laugh:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Would it be better to just let the cap space go to waste like last season? If a team is rebuilding and has cap space, they should use it to their advantage to get some assets, and that's exactly what the Habs have done here. Yes, the picks are long shots, which is the reason that the more you have, the better. Armia is a decent player, who if they decide he's not in their plans, can be flipped for another pick. It's really a no-lose situation for the Habs in the current situation. The only things they lose are cap space (which they don't need to use if they're rebuilding) and cash (which they have plenty of).

It's amazing that as a Leaf fan I'm explaining why the Habs made a solid trade. :laugh:

We can take on a few contracts for assets while rebuilding. Money isn’t an issue.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Armia is kind of an enigma. Sometimes I thought he wasn't really given a chance. High skill player strong on his stick but lacks explosiveness. Good for him he should get more opportunities on the Habs in the top 6.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
But it's okay he drafted an over-ager in Jaro Halak with his last pick in 2003 to really skew those games played numbers.
In your haste to express your hatred, you've committed an almost trumpian level fault of logic in this example.

What rational causal link is there between a player's over-ager status and the number of games he's played in the NHL ?

PS: Halak wasn't an over-ager...

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Brownies

In your haste to express your hatred, you've committed an almost trumpian level fault of logic in this example.

What rational causal link is there between a player's over-ager status and the number of games he's played in the NHL ?

PS: Halak wasn't an over-ager...

Mark Streit would be a better exemple... Wow 9th round, Timmins got lucky again. He should buy lottery tickets with his luck.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

I feel you. When you have to explain to people why Rielly is good, you feel dirty for defending something to do with a rival, but at the same time it makes you wonder why others don't understand that. How can the hate be that blinding?

Worst part is a lot of people who think this is bad aren't really fans of a rival, but simply want to try and troll. When they do that, they're just simply proving they know jack about hockey.

I'm not sure how this trade is a loss for anyone unless Armia all of a sudden starts sniping goals like Laine, but that's not happening, so....

Reactions: Marmoset

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Armia is so under rated. He never got a chance to play quality minutes with Jets. Hopefully he can get top 6 minutes on Montreal. The guy is a very intelligent player. I feel if he has confidence as a top 6 player that this trade will end up looking much worse than it currently does for the Jets, but either way he would never get top 6 minutes with the Jets.

Im happy he’ll get a much better chance to show what he’s got in Montreal, but will definitely miss him on the Jets.
You're description of Armia is right on but isn't that what Buffalo fans said when they traded him to Winnipeg?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Mark Streit would be a better exemple... Wow 9th round, Timmins got lucky again. He should buy lottery tickets with his luck.
Be it Streit or any other player, the trumpian logic fault is the following:

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I've counted at least 15 players who've played over 300 games in the NHL, and over 20 players who've logged at least 100 games, in drafts since Timmins was hired as director of player development.

And that's not counting Pacioretty, Subban, McDonagh, or Price since people like to nitpick and pretend like they don't count either. Do the same for every other team in the league and you can't name 5 that have drafted better in that same time period.

Some of you just have an agenda and want to say everything about the Habs sucks, when in reality, it's you who sucks.

Timmins has been head scout since 2003, is that your timeline? Because if it is, I'll take your bet. (I haven't looked it up yet, so it's a friendly bet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad