Confirmed Trade: [WPG/MTL] Joel Armia, Steve Mason, 2020 4th & 2019 7th to Habs for Simon Bourque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zennon

Mar 12, 2004
It's not a great deal, but it's a solid deal. They got a decent return to take on a significant contract which they can afford to do with their cap space and competitive state. It's seems like a win-win trade to me - both teams got what they wanted.

For one year cap dumps and with only giving up a C prospect? Don’t think so.

Carolina still had to give up a 2nd and a 3rd for Teravainen.

If Montreal is in rebuilding phase, which it is honestly, down the line what will they have left let say in 3-4 years? niet zero... so why make the trade? to make a trade? Those 2 drafts picks, you need to be lucky to get something out of them. Armia, easily replaceble in FA market.

Brownies

If Montreal is in rebuilding phase, which it is honestly, down the line what will they have left let say in 3-4 years? niet zero... so why make the trade? to make a trade? Those 2 drafts picks, you need to be lucky to get something out of them. Armia, easily replaceble in FA market.
Seems a little harsh. You still have to fill a line-up and Armia is a good enough player that will help the team. He may even enjoy the change of scenary. Those 2 picks probably wont contribute much, but who knows ? Can't have enough prospects when rebuilding.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Wtf seems like a big move, especially since Stastny is about to get overpaid

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
2 teams got better, because the Jets probably will sign Stastny with the cap space. If not, they can sign someone else and get better. I understand what you are trying to say about where only 1 team got better, but we have to consider the context.

Agree on Armia. They probably will tey him at center though.

Mason's getting bought out though, he won't win no backup place in MTL for sure.

No. This cap space is only enough to protect against the bonus overage that was almost certainly going to come next year. We had to move 1 player anyway. Mason was least valuable relative to his cap hit. I think Armia was worth more and now we still need to find a backup. Would have liked this better if we got Lindgren instead of Bourque.

Armia has never played C AFAIK, certainly not professionally. He will be a big upgrade to your bottom 6. Not exactly your greatest need but a valuable piece. Too much to pay, IMO for only 1 year of Mason. It would be different if he had been under contract longer.

Yeah, buying out Mason is probably the best way to go. He may claim to be injured though, in which case you can't buy him out. Just a possibility.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So Jets are gonna sign Stastny now

Mason only one year left but is a buyout coming ? Why did they sign Niemi again ?

Niemi actually played well in Montreal. He basically played his way to a contract. There's also Charlie Lindgren who shows some promise in goal.

I'm guessing Mason will be bought out or perhaps they trade him for a pick and retain some salary.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Why would they help the Jets out of their cap bind for nothing in return? And don't tell me Armia is some can't miss prospect, he's a 25 year old bottom six forward. He's not going to improve. I would have demanded at least a 2nd round pick for taking on Mason's contract.

You can demand it, but there was only 1 year left on his deal. It's not the traditional multi year cap dump. His lack of term made it a deal that you can't really get much from.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Very good deal for both teams, WPG clear cap in an attempt to sign Stastny and MTL acquire Armia, and a few picks who can help them this year (Armia)

Yup I’ve calculated +/- 11M... B. Little?

Little has a full NMC. He isn't going anywhere. Besides, Little and Stastny are the same player except that Stas is 2 years older. Stas was a good fit with Ehlers and Laine and Little wasn't. Or, Little just had an off year. What player doesn't have one of those occasionally?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hudon Danault Drouin
Lehkonen Kotkaniemi Armia
Domi ??O'Reilly?? Gallagher
Byron ??Plekanec?? Scherbak

really liking how the forward ranks are coming together, good offseason for Bergeron so far. If they make a couple more moves they might actually be a dank horse this year

Oh, but the smell of a dank horse! :laugh:

Reactions: ediger

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

So by your logic the team should do... nothing? What exactly? Acquiring young good players and draft picks for free seems like a pretty logical move.

Reactions: iSophagus

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I've been very critical of Montreal's decision making over the last few years, but I like this one. I'm interested to see what Mason brings back.. can't imagine it being much, but Armia is a nice get and they added a couple picks.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I've been very critical of Montreal's decision making over the last few years, but I like this one. I'm interested to see what Mason brings back.. can't imagine it being much, but Armia is a nice get and they added a couple picks.

He's getting bought out.

I mean Armia and Mason will be our number 1 centre.

But yes Mason is being bought out.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Hudon Danault Drouin
Lehkonen Kotkaniemi Armia
Domi ??O'Reilly?? Gallagher
Byron ??Plekanec?? Scherbak

really liking how the forward ranks are coming together, good offseason for Bergeron so far. If they make a couple more moves they might actually be a dank horse this year

Lmao, that lineup is guaranteed to get a top 5 pick.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

Well... Armia was the good side of this deal for us. Even if he's not returning with us, Im confident about geting a nice return for him if we decide to deal him.

Live with that, MB has made a good deal and expect others

Zennon

Mar 12, 2004
So by your logic the team should do... nothing? What exactly? Acquiring young good players and draft picks for free seems like a pretty logical move.

If you wanted to make this kind of deal, as a rebuilding team, you aim for 1st round pick or second, even by adding a 3rd or 4th from your own. There is absolute no point in trying to hit a homerun with 4-7th picks. Most of the time only top10 picks pan out as an impact player.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
If you wanted to make this kind of deal, as a rebuilding team, you aim for 1st round pick or second, even by adding a 3rd or 4th from your own. There is absolute no point in trying to hit a homerun with 4-7th picks. Most of the time only top10 picks pan out as an impact player.

That makes sense only when you have expectations that are totally unrealistic.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Armia kind of reminds me of Niklas Hagman, flashes of brilliance and untapped potential, but very inconsistent. Here's to hoping he is able to take the next step with the habs

Reactions: Stive Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad