WPG More : LAK Less - The ****ing embarassing edition

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
That game was all about finish. They pump one in early and it's over.

The thing with the Kings is they are almost always going to have more shot attempts than the other team, but it's usually far more drastic against the lesser teams. The problem with this is, if you fail to finish, now you have a goalie that has seen plenty of rubber coming his way and is comfortable. Ask every single goalie in the league and they will tell you how much better they play when they are busy.

So now you have one goalie in the zone and Quick/Enroth standing around at the other end most of the time, and a goal is far more likely to go in as they are disengaged. This happens occasionally to all of the top teams in the league, but more often to the Kings as their strategy is predicated on volume of shots, rather than looking for the highest quality chances.

I doubt anything changes anytime soon, because what the Kings do is extremely effective in the playoffs. The tradeoff is we are left drinking heavily, cursing like scarface, and wanting to constantly throw things at the TV against the weaker teams. But hey, it could be worse.

****ing tell me about it.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I would rather the Kings finish second in the Pacific. San Jose is a familiar foe in the playoffs and shorter travel distance for the first round. I would not say that San Jose is any better than Nashville, and they sure has hell are not better than the Blackhawks. Finishing first in the Pacific is a huge gamble, as I have no idea how the Kings will perform against Nashville in particular.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
The Sharks will have a vendetta against us, which will be a huge motivator for them. There will be no "easy" matchups.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
The Sharks will have a vendetta against us, which will be a huge motivator for them. There will be no "easy" matchups.

If they go 3-0 up on us again, they'll finish the job. They wouldn't let that slip away again, especially against us.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

Don't get me wrong. I don't think playing the Sharks will be an "easy" matchup. I think they are a very talented team. They were also very talented in 2014 when we won. None of the matchups will be easy, unless we play Colorado IMO.

That said, I could care less how "motivated" the Sharks are. Their extra motivation does not make them better than the Blackhawks and arguably, IMO, Nashville. The reason I think it will be better to play the Sharks personally is because they do a worse job of clogging up the neutral zone then Nashville or a team like Anaheim. Kings don't do well against teams that are good at that. Also, if we are fortunate to win the first round, I would rather have the Kings be more rested since they will be traveling locally for road games.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
You implied he was worse then Brown. While Lucic isn't the greatest passer in the world, he is miles ahead of where Brown is.

Edit: You guys are hilarious with the Gravel and Forbort stuff. They've had all year and right now they aren't out playing McNabb or Scuderi. They had trouble getting ice time over Ehrhoff. Also was McNabb on the ice for a goal against tonight? Not sure he was the problem out there.

When Forbort or Gravel are given a consistent 20 games or so with regular shifts like McNabb, Ehrhoff, Scuderi, Schenn, or McBain, then come back and tell me how they looked. DS never wants to see it.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
When Forbort or Gravel are given a consistent 20 games or so with regular shifts like McNabb, Ehrhoff, Scuderi, Schenn, or McBain, then come back and tell me how they looked. DS never wants to see it.

Unfortunately for Forbort I'm not sure he's ever going to get 20 games on the Kings before he's traded. Unless they keep him around like Andy as a cheap extra forward.

Hopefully Gravel can show enough next year to earn ice time over McNabb/Scuderi/Greene.

The bar isn't set really high for these guys to play themselves onto the team. Also the reason Scuderi/McNabb are on the team is because Forbort was unable to make the jump to the NHL when the spot needed to be filled.

Fasching is playing his first NHL game today btw

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Gravel barely had a chance to play and was sent down fast. Forbort had a much better opportunity and couldn't break in. Calling up Gravel wouldn't be a bad idea, it would give some rest to Scuds/Muzzin/Martinez/McNabb. I honestly think he would be better than McNabb/Scuderi right now.
Gravel played 4 straight games. Forbort always sat 4 straight games and then played.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think the Kings played fine during this 3 game losing streak. Results aren't always indicative of how the team performed. Sometimes the bounces don't go your way.

The Kings ran into 3 hot goaltenders. Only 1 game did the Kings get genuinely outplayed. It happens sometimes.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Gravel played 4 straight games. Forbort always sat 4 straight games and then played.

He played well, and better than Forbort. I'm sure sitting for 4 games didn't help Forbort though. The point is I think he would be equal to or better than McNabb, but I'm sure the coaches want him to simmer in the minors a bit longer. The Ducks are playing a lot of their young Dmen, though mostly due to injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad