Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jacob Trouba signs (2 years, $3M AAV)

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Trouba had to sign, no way he was going to miss the entire year of development/pay check. RFA will always cave.

Now that he's done right by the team and signed a deal, WPG should return the favor by moving him when they find the right deal.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Term makes sense from Trouba's perspective assuming that there isn't already a deal in place as it puts Winnipeg back in the same position in a couple years if they still haven't found a trade they like. Money/AAV is good also as it is much more cap-friendly than $5-5.5, and thus easier for teams close to the cap to absorb. Nice deal for both sides.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
How can a Jets fan cheer him on at home now knowing he simply doesn't want to play in Winnipeg? Has to be a strange thing.

Like at least with Drouin Tampa fans knew he asked for a trade because he wanted to be actually in the NHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Jets have so many trade possibilities now, especially with their ability to take back a contract.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I haven't seen a fold this bad since the Leafs in Game 7 versus the Bruins.

Then again, I wish I could 'fold' my way into $6 million.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Congrats. Great signing. Especially if it's followed by a good trade.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't understand why people think this contract is too low. Do people not understand the concept of bridge contracts? For 2 years did you expect him to get 5 million? That's not how it works. When you only sign for 2 years, you're not eating any UFA years and just 1 Arb year IIRC. Subban's bridge was sub 3 million, with inflation it's a little more than Trouba's but he was also better at the time of signing.

It's a reasonable bridge contract, which is logical because at that AAV it will be easier to fit in for a trade than a full 6 year 5 million dollar AAV had he went long term.

Jets got what they wanted, good job, but they didn't rip Trouba off.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Absolutely agree....at this price, now it REALLY sucks that he won't go to TO.

who knows?

Leafs will be eager to deal contracts, prospects and picks

they're entirely flexible except in taking back extra salary or contracts

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Trouba plays well the next two seasons, he probably end up making more over the next 10 years with this bridge contract.

I don't think he is a Jet by the TDL, and he certainly won't be a Jet by the draft.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Guessing he plays for a bit so teams can see him action this season after taking like a month off, then gets traded.

Or he stays for two years and we live this all over again in two years.

Thesaurus

Lyrical Wordsmith
Dec 14, 2011
The Cosmos
How can a Jets fan cheer him on at home now knowing he simply doesn't want to play in Winnipeg? Has to be a strange thing.

Like at least with Drouin Tampa fans knew he asked for a trade because he wanted to be actually in the NHL.

I would take every Jets player hating Winnipeg if it equated to more wins.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Terms is good for both parties. The money is whatever at this point. It just gives them extra time to trade him/re sign him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Seems about right always thought he would be in that ballpark. Would be suprised if his next contract is much different money. Hes a lil overrated if anything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad