Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] F Pierre-Luc Dubois accepts qualifying offer from the Jets (1 year, $6M)

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

its obviously bullshit but needed to be said for the fans

Not just for the fans, but also so the Habs aren't hit with tampering penalties similar to what the Blues were for tampering with Stevens.

Having to give the Jets a 1st round pick in 1 draft in the next 5 years and giving the Jets the option to swap 1st round picks in 1 draft over the next 5 years would really hurt the Habs rebuild. i.e you tank to get 1OA again and then we choose to swap picks with you this year. Then there are 4 years left for you to give us a different 1st round pick. The penalty has been handed out before and IMO the only reason PLD went to the draft was because he expected to be traded to Montreal and the only way he could have expected that was due to tampering as the negotiation window wasn't open yet.

"He lives 10 minutes away" but went to the draft not in the Jets box. He had to say that... personally I don't believe him. I also don't believe that the Habs didn't tamper here, although I have no proof. Those are my opinions on it.

The reality for Montreal is that they could trade for him now and sign him to the same contract as Suzuki or they could wait until he's a free agent (which is the same year the cap is projected to explode) and need to offer him much much more. What is the right balance for them in terms of giving up assets but gaining capspace for their competitive window and actually securing the bag instead of just hoping they would like the Red Wings fans were doing with Trouba.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Not just for the fans, but also so the Habs aren't hit with tampering penalties similar to what the Blues were for tampering with Stevens.

Having to give the Jets a 1st round pick in 1 draft in the next 5 years and giving the Jets the option to swap 1st round picks in 1 draft over the next 5 years would really hurt the Habs rebuild. i.e you tank to get 1OA again and then we choose to swap picks with you this year. Then there are 4 years left for you to give us a different 1st round pick. The penalty has been handed out before and IMO the only reason PLD went to the draft was because he expected to be traded to Montreal and the only way he could have expected that was due to tampering as the negotiation window wasn't open yet.

"He lives 10 minutes away" but went to the draft not in the Jets box. He had to say that... personally I don't believe him. I also don't believe that the Habs didn't tamper here, although I have no proof. Those are my opinions on it.

The reality for Montreal is that they could trade for him now and sign him to the same contract as Suzuki or they could wait until he's a free agent (which is the same year the cap is projected to explode) and need to offer him much much more. What is the right balance for them in terms of giving up assets but gaining capspace for their competitive window and actually securing the bag instead of just hoping they would like the Red Wings fans were doing with Trouba.

Explain how it was tampering? He was a free agent at the time and could negotiate with any team?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I expect to see him playing in Florida within the next 2 years.. not Montreal.
Florida is very popular among Quebec residents..

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I bet he signs a big extension before free agency next year, just to tease the Habs and french media. All these rumours will just materialize into a bunch of hogwash once again.

This is hilarious. You realize that even if Dubois ends spending the next fifteen years in California, it doesn't mean that his interest in playing for Montreal was faked, right?

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Explain how it was tampering? He was a free agent at the time and could negotiate with any team?

This year free agency started on July 13, 2022. There is no more 5 day "negotiation period" before free agency begins.

The NHL draft occurred on July 7-8th.

It's why on July 13 Brisson made the specific comment that PLD would want to play for Montreal and followed it up with "I can talk about this because he doesn't currently have a contract." Any communications from Montreal to PLD or his agent prior to July 13th would be tampering.

i.e. if "someone" from the Habs told him/his agent that they were trying to trade for him on the draft floor, that would be tampering.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
This year free agency started on July 13, 2022. There is no more 5 day "negotiation period" before free agency begins.

The NHL draft occurred on July 7-8th.

It's why on July 13 Brisson made the specific comment that PLD would want to play for Montreal and followed it up with "I can talk about this because he doesn't currently have a contract." Any communications from Montreal to PLD or his agent prior to July 13th would be tampering.

i.e. if "someone" from the Habs told him/his agent that they were trying to trade for him on the draft floor, that would be tampering.

Okay... so purely speculation. Understood.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

8170039.jpg

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Okay... so purely speculation. Understood.

Correct. Like I said in the original post. It's my speculation and I have no proof but any answer other than "I love hockey and was just randomly at the draft" could have been the smoking gun that tampering had occurred. If everyone keeps their mouth shut, I'm not sure there is any proof.

I would expect that the Jets would be quietly asking the NHL to investigate.

Or maybe the Jets told PLD they were going to trade him at the draft so he went and then Chevy was like

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
By the time PLD joins the Habs or signs a long term contract, he will be the most talked about person in HF.

I'm sure he has at least 3,000 posts about him from the last 3 years.

And more to follow...

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The difference here is Dubois openly stated he'd like to play in Montreal and is signing deals that take him to UFA faster. Huberdeau to Montreal was never even rumoured through any credible source.
So you're saying the rumour that Huberdeau wanted to play in Mtl was just BS likely created by fans? That certainly could be. However, both Gaudreau and Tkachuk openly discussed that they would like to play for their hometowns of Philly and St Louis some day.... kind of like PLD I guess.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
By the time PLD joins the Habs or signs a long term contract, he will be the most talked about person in HF.

I'm sure he has at least 3,000 posts about him from the last 3 years.

And more to follow...

What's wild is that he's a great player, but not that tier you'd expect this many posts out of.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What's wild is that he's a great player, but not that tier you'd expect this many posts out of.
I'm not even convinced that he's a great player. His stats certainly don't illustrate that.
Can you really call a 2C a great player? Or just better than average?
Great players have teams built around them. I wouldn't want to, if I had a choice, build around Dubois.
As for the number of posts... well its the summer doldrums and hockey fans are desperate to argue about something... anything. I'm certainly glad the 2022 WJC is starting today so we can all argue about something relevant.
Go Team Canada!. Go Matthew Coronato!

Reactions: Andreas Ferrari

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm not even convinced that he's a great player. His stats certainly don't illustrate that.
Can you really call a 2C a great player? Or just better than average?
Great players have teams built around them. I wouldn't want to, if I had a choice, build around Dubois.
As for the number of posts... well its the summer doldrums and hockey fans are desperate to argue about something... anything. I'm certainly glad the 2022 WJC is starting today so we can all argue about something relevant.
Go Team Canada!. Go Matthew Coronato!

60 point, big, two-way centres aren't anything to scoff at, personally.
I'd take him on Calgary any day of the week. I think him and Huberdeau would be really fun to watch together.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Good question, what is the $2-3M difference in cap hit on a 8 year deal between now and 2 years from now worth in a deal?

60 point, big, two-way centres aren't anything to scoff at, personally.
I'd take him on Calgary any day of the week. I think him and Huberdeau would be really fun to watch together.
Even calling him a 60 point guy seems to be selling him short. It is accurate right now. But he is every bit the player Kadri is for instance, and a lot younger.

Imo anyway

Reactions: pictman and Volica

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

I think the 'tampering' went on during his RFA period...brisson's comments were err quite curious...
Mtl media has been reaching out to him a lot but he's been vague. He was at the Als and CFMtl games last week.
Guess we'll see what's next

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
...you actually believe this or are you wise enough to see that it's a strategy to use Montreal as a ploy to raise his asking price when he hits UFA, as many others before him have done...hockey's version of a False Flag operation...in two years time, when he gets his Prime bucks from another team long-term after stringing Habs fans along, lemme know how you feel then...
Dubois's case is different. The rumors make it seem like mtl is the only place where he wants to play. That wont boost his value with any team including mtl.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Habs fans “ We get him for free in 2 years.”

2 years later…. PLD signs elsewhere

Habs fans “ We don’t want quitters , Players , X, Y & Z are better, we never said we wanted him he was never going to be a good fit.
Massive overpayment”

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs fans “ We get him for free in 2 years.”

2 years later…. PLD signs elsewhere

Habs fans “ We don’t want quitters , Players , X, Y & Z are better, we never said we wanted him he was never going to be a good fit.
Massive overpayment”
Habs fans are in the right when they state that Hughes should wait it out.

A lot can change in 2 years. Dach could establish himself as a top 6 C or they may get a can’t miss C in the 2023 draft.

Waiting out the PLD situation is the only move that makes sense.
I just don’t understand why Jets fans are so insistent that the Habs trade significantl value for PLD now. That is just idiotic!!

Reactions: HabsAddict

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
And he wants to join a team that finished last. They deserve each other.

Not sure if you understand how tense works, but finished means it already took place. It doesn't mean what definitely happens through the duration of whatever term PLD signs for in the future.

He is also joining a team that won the cup, if we want to gauge based on the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad