Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Dmitry Kulikov (3 years, $4.33M AAV)

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
4.33 per seems terrible, much like 4.1 for Mason. Do the Jets have to pay that much more to get FAs to go there?

How many more of you guys do we need to put up with? We get it. Lot's of you need feel the need to show up here with the tired meme about Winnipeg and how no one wants to be here. Guess it makes you feel better about yourself. Go away.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How many more of you guys do we need to put up with? We get it. Lot's of you need feel the need to show up here with the tired meme about Winnipeg and how no one wants to be here. Guess it makes you feel better about yourself. Go away.
I was just asking a question because both seem like significant over payments. But feel free to overreact :handclap:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
4.33 per seems terrible, much like 4.1 for Mason. Do the Jets have to pay that much more to get FAs to go there?

Mason is the 24th highest paid goalie in the NHL.

Can you name 23 goalies who are better than Mason? If not, how come you feel he's overpaid?

And before you start that list of 23 goalies, check out how Mason's numbers since he left Columbus rank league wide.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Where he was paid too much as well. Philly signed a very comparable goalie in Elliott for almost half what you dished out for Mason.

He's also quite a bit older. Mason has been one of the better 5v5 goalies in the league before last season. We'll see what he can do on the Jets. Darling got $4.1 and is only a year younger. Going rate for a contract among under 30 starters. We have the cap space, nothing to worry about. Again likely paying a bit more for lower term which is fine by me.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Of course we have to pay players over the market value to play here. That is why Scheifele signed for a 6.125 million for 8 years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Where he was paid too much as well. Philly signed a very comparable goalie in Elliott for almost half what you dished out for Mason.

Mason was the 18th- 25th highest paid goalie during his 4 years in Philly, depending on the year.

And in those 4 years, he was tied for 12th in SV% with goalies playing at least 100 games.

Mason was very good value. And that has not changed on the Jets.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
I'm fascinated at how they think 27-31 year olds get them to the playoffs? Have they seen what others are doing? Detroit in same boat. They should blow this thing up.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The Jets D is much more balanced now. They should be able to ice 3 strong pairings if Myers is back(haven't heard anything on that)

The way i see it, Myers will play a big part to our possible success next season. He's going to be healthy and rocking. We really missed a guy like him all season long. Looked good before he got hurt too.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Normally the Jets are one of most careful and judicious teams in the entire league, but they blew their brains out with Kulikov.....over $4m a year for a guy who charts as a 5-6 d-man at best.....I guess they're praying his year in Buffalo was an outlier, but he wasn't all that good in Florida....a baffling signing really.

And as for the goaltending, is Steve Mason really an upgrade on what they already had?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Normally the Jets are one of most careful and judicious teams in the entire league, but they blew their brains out with Kulikov.....over $4m a year for a guy who charts as a 5-6 d-man at best.....I guess they're praying his year in Buffalo was an outlier, but he wasn't all that good in Florida....a baffling signing really.

And as for the goaltending, is Steve Mason really an upgrade on what they already had?

I like the Mason signing. I think he can grab the starters job and run with it. I actually think they make the playoffs with him in the crease.

But yeah, the Kulikov deal is really bad. Florida dealt him because he was declining and then he fell off another tier in Buffalo. Giving him $13 million is ridiculous.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I'm fascinated at how they think 27-31 year olds get them to the playoffs? Have they seen what others are doing? Detroit in same boat. They should blow this thing up.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we're the 3rd youngest team in the league :laugh:

Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Armia, Hellebuyck are all young and skilled. Who out of that do we trade to "blow it up"?

Wheeler = Top tier RW
Little = Elite 2C
Perreault = Runs a PP by himself
Byfuglien = Elite offensive defenseman

The only one I could see trading is Enstrom.

And before we get there, let me save you the time

"If all those guys are so good, how come you missed the playoffs!!!!!!!1111?"

Injuries, horrendous special teams, and goaltending.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
Mason signing is solid. He's an average starting goalie making an average salary. Kulikov is a definite gamble, though.I think the best case scenario is the signing is ok, But likely to be atrocious. Jets do have some cap space before Laine gets his next contract so it's bot like they can't afford this gamble. Still, hard to imagine there weren't better options for that price tag.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Didnt Kris Russel get 4 million? I dont see a problem with this and not sure why other teams fans would care. Fact is he had a rough year last season due to injury but.. Hes 26.. Hes LHD.. Hes good defensively and when on.. Is a darn good player. Bottom line is he can play in the top 4 if need be.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
It's only a 3 year deal at $4.3m. Hardly an anchor contract. I'm surprised so many people are getting bent out of shape about it.

And someone is suggesting the Jets should "blow it up"? That's unreal. Haha. The Jets had 4 of the top 20 even strength scorers in the league last year; an 18 year old, a 20 year old, a 23 year old and a 30 year old. In addition to Scheifele, Laine, and Ehlers, they have loads of other young talent like Trouba, Morrissey, Connor, Roslovic, Lowry, Armia, Hellebuyck, Comrie, Vesalainen, Dano, etc. I'm not seeing the need to "blow it up".

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
4 million plus seems to be the going rate for potential top 4 D. Alzner got 4.6 and id take Kulikov over him everyday.

I'm not sure many people would agree with you but to each their own.

Thought Kulikov would have to get a show me what you can do kind of deal instead of getting a pretty hefty contract. He hasn't shown too much since his first couple of years in the NHL. Could it be a good gamble? Sure it could. Could it be a really bad deal for the next 3 years? It could very well be.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kulikov signed for 4.33x3 in 2014-2015 as a RFA when he was 23. As an unrestricted FA 26 year old, he signed for the same. There are risks sure, but they are minor. It is rare that a new UFA does not sign for more than his RFA contract. Kulikov is one of these examples. It was actually a good value signing by Chevy. The question I have is can Kulikov regain his form or even become better. At 26, a former 1st rd pick there may still be some upside as D men are hitting their prime. He is a physical D man who has pros and cons to his game the way I see it.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I dont see the problem at all. It is 3 years, I rather pay Kulikov 3 years and little above the market value then have, Lucic, Ericsson, Matt Martin, Kris Russel, Jonathan Ericsson on longer contract. Jets have the cap space to take shorter contracts with higer salary then pay Ladd etc etc a little below their demand on longer contracts.
If Kulikov can fill in for a top 4 spot during injuries this is fine.
And since Wheeler and Sheif has skated with Kulikov this summer down in Florida I have a hunch they know if he is okey. If 2 of the leading players want him, I feel even better with this signing....

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
2 very good signing for the Jets here. I especially like the Mason signing. Guy's a top 10-15 goalie in the league, a definite improvement over what they had in net before.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He was a top4 in Florida, if he's a top4 in Winnipeg 4M is a good deal from the UFA market.
With Laine's ELC running out in 2 years this should have been a 2 year deal though but it's UFA market.

And absolutely yes to the 2nd question. Mason >>>> Hutch/Pavelec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad