Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Dmitry Kulikov (3 years, $4.33M AAV)

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
$4.3 is an awful lot to pay a guy to play on your third pair, especially paired with a guy who makes more.
Myers trade incoming?

Also, fair value based on his play two years ago.
He wasn't worth the NHL minimum last year.
Not exaggerating. He didn't deserve to be in the NHL.
Hopefully his back is better.

You're looking, I think, at Myers' cap hit, not his pay.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Too much $ and term.
You know they will have a guy that should make mcdavid type money in 2 more years

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So, if my understanding is correct, this all relies on if his back is ok

Chevy seems to think all is good having done his due diligence about the back. Having Wheeler training with him should give him insight into if there is an issue.

His back is fine. He fell through an open bench door, it's not like it's a chronic thing that has plagued him his entire life. Problem was that he played like **** after he returned from the injury, but the Sabres were a mess last year. Wouldn't worry about it.

Eh, he was saying he had a hard time getting out of bed and was still playing. Yes, he was bad. Yes the team scheme was terrible. But he was trying to play through it.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He completely fell off a cliff last season. I wouldn't want to bet on a guy with back problems rebounding. Really thought he'd have to take a shorter contract to prove he can still play.

Chevy said they talked to the trainers in Buffalo and they have done their due diligence with him. He also trains with Sheifele and Wheeler and they sold him on the team and the team on him I guess.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Chevy said they talked to the trainers in Buffalo and they have done their due diligence with him. He also trains with Sheifele and Wheeler and they sold him on the team and the team on him I guess.

After Clitsome you figure they would have done their due diligence to make sure there is no permanent damage to his back ....

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I like this, a bit expensive but it's better to see Chevy actually addressing needs. Hopefully he plays like his Florida days.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Contract is fine if Kulikov can play well in the top 4. Bottom 2 then it will not be fine. This is a deal where Chevy obviously saw value of a Defenceman that had an off year getting him relatively cheaply with the possibility of bouncing back. Big improvement to Stuart on the D so it is an upgrade if all the cap parts fit.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Contract is fine if Kulikov can play well in the top 4. Bottom 2 then it will not be fine. This is a deal where Chevy obviously saw value of a Defenceman that had an off year getting him relatively cheaply with the possibility of bouncing back. Big improvement to Stuart on the D so it is an upgrade if all the cap parts fit.

He certainly didn't come cheap, but we needed a LHD and a guy who can play more than 3rd pairing role if needed. Rather not take any chances with the injuries again, we had like 3 #6-7 guys playing in our top 4 at one point. But on paper he's probably on our 3rd pairing to start the year.

Kulikov obviously had a down year, partly due to injuries (he better stay healthy god damnit). But yeah, i think he can bounce back to playing like a decent #4.

He's a good fit on this team. Rather have a guy who can skate and move the puck than anything else, when our strength is offense.. need to get the puck to them and keep up with the pace.

So yeah.. huge improvement over Stuart or anyone else who's played on our 3rd pairing.

This also gives us the option to swap Enstrom with Kulikov if Enstrom shows signs of slowing down big time.

And most importantly it's only 3 years.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Do the Jets have the most overpaid defense in the NHL? Buff 7.6, Enstrom 5.75, Myers 5.5, Kulikov 4.3.... No wonder Trouba wants out when everyone is getting paid but him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He certainly didn't come cheap, but we needed a LHD and a guy who can play more than 3rd pairing role if needed. Rather not take any chances with the injuries again, we had like 3 #6-7 guys playing in our top 4 at one point. But on paper he's probably on our 3rd pairing to start the year.

Kulikov obviously had a down year, partly due to injuries (he better stay healthy god damnit). But yeah, i think he can bounce back to playing like a decent #4.

He's a good fit on this team. Rather have a guy who can skate and move the puck than anything else, when our strength is offense.. need to get the puck to them and keep up with the pace.

So yeah.. huge improvement over Stuart or anyone else who's played on our 3rd pairing.

This also gives us the option to swap Enstrom with Kulikov if Enstrom shows signs of slowing down big time.

And most importantly it's only 3 years.

Agreed He is a big upgrade to Stuart for sure. He may eventualy replace Enstrom's 5+M on the cap chart next year when Trouba wiil be re-upped. The Jets D is much more balanced now. They should be able to ice 3 strong pairings if Myers is back(haven't heard anything on that)

I see this as Chevy taking a chance on a reduced asset, as we saw what D men were signing for today. So from that perspective it was a good signing. If Kulikov can be effective in the top 4. Then it will even be a great signing.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Do the Jets have the most overpaid defense in the NHL? Buff 7.6, Enstrom 5.75, Myers 5.5, Kulikov 4.3.... No wonder Trouba wants out when everyone is getting paid but him.

Price you pay when you have a team in Winnipeg. Trouba will most definitely get paid, he just has to decide if he's staying. Enstroms 5.75 comes off the books next year which will free up the money to give Trouba up to $7 mil per season. Hopefully we can get him for around $6.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
4.33 per seems terrible, much like 4.1 for Mason. Do the Jets have to pay that much more to get FAs to go there?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

So wrong!!! So wrong!!! Jets will back up the Brinks truck for Trouba when he's ready to commit to the team. No question about it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
4.33 per seems terrible, much like 4.1 for Mason. Do the Jets have to pay that much more to get FAs to go there?

Mason's deal is the same he was being paid in Philly. 4.33 is about a mil to high but we likely paid for shorter term.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mason's deal is the same he was being paid in Philly. 4.33 is about a mil to high but we likely paid for shorter term.

Where he was paid too much as well. Philly signed a very comparable goalie in Elliott for almost half what you dished out for Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad