Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Dmitry Kulikov (3 years, $4.33M AAV)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think he will be fine. It is a good gamble for Winnipeg in my opinion. The guy has played like a top 4 d-man almost all of his career outside of crushing his back on an open bench door and struggling to come back.

He seems like a solid guy, I also think his game from when he was in Florida meshes well with Trouba. Winnipeg doesn't get the pick of the litter, this is a good signing for them in my opinion. The figures might be higher than we expected but I think they will be fine. They got better today and that is what matters for them at this point. They need to be pushing for the playoffs at this point, that group has too much talent not to be doing that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For the Jets, it's all about the term. Paying more salary for less term fits their roster. They needed a LD who can play 14-18 minutes, probably paired with Myers and on the PK.

Salary is a bit high, but I like this for the Jets.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
His back is fine. He fell through an open bench door, it's not like it's a chronic thing that has plagued him his entire life. Problem was that he played like **** after he returned from the injury, but the Sabres were a mess last year. Wouldn't worry about it.

Problem is, freak accident or not...back injuries can become a chronic issue. A lot of guys who end up with a significant back injury like that, end up continuing to fight that through the rest of their careers.

That's the risk.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
We could only overpay if the term was short..... we don't need the cap space for 2-3 years so if he bounces back to his Florida form this deal is okay .....

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
His back is fine. He fell through an open bench door, it's not like it's a chronic thing that has plagued him his entire life. Problem was that he played like **** after he returned from the injury, but the Sabres were a mess last year. Wouldn't worry about it.

If his back is "fine" then Winnipeg is trouble. The Kulikov that finished the year for Buffalo was once of the worst Sabres in team history. He was a -26 for a reason. Now if he somehow fixed his injury or something that's a different story.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he's healthy he can be a top4, 1 year too long but I guess Chevy is looking at safety with both Myers& Enstrom having 1-2 years left on their contracts.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
If his back is "fine" then Winnipeg is trouble. The Kulikov that finished the year for Buffalo was once of the worst Sabres in team history. He was a -26 for a reason. Now if he somehow fixed his injury or something that's a different story.

It's not like last year was his only year in the league to base an opinion on. He's played 8 seasons in the league. Last year was a trade, back injury, and hot mess of a **** team. I think it's a pretty safe bet to treat last year as an outlier.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
He's been solid his whole career except for last year, surprised at people who don't like this deal. Slightly overpaid for a good player.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's being brought in for his defensive abilities I think. He'll be Buff's partner. Buff likes to activate and jump into the play a lot. He needs a partner whose #1 focus is on the defensive side of the puck. We don't need Kulikov to put up a lot of points we just need him to be stable on defence. A bit of an overpayment but we have the space so the money is no issue. I don't think he sees much if any minutes with Myers outside of special teams maybe.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Whoa what is Winnipeg doing? Bad moves today.

We're not cap-strapped, and we've filled the team's obvious shortcomings by signing UFAs on short-term deals. The players we've signed are the best available, without committing huge salaries for very long term (like Alzner). Mason is better than Hutchinson, Kulikov is better than Stuart/Chiarot/Melchiori. It didn't cost us any assets to get them. If Kulikov and Mason don't perform according to their salaries, whoop-de-doo, they're gone in a couple years. Today has gone pretty well for us.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Jets fans should likeep him. Yes a bit of an over payment, but nothing to write home about.
He should rebound, he's plenty young enough.
To bad about the freak injury in Buffalo. But he should be fully ready to roll next season. Good signing overall.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It's not like last year was his only year in the league to base an opinion on. He's played 8 seasons in the league. Last year was a trade, back injury, and hot mess of a **** team. I think it's a pretty safe bet to treat last year as an outlier.

You're missing the whole point. There seems to be zero indication his back injury is not a chronic thing that can't be fixed. He's playing with it -- and I saw a much different player. Can't compare previous eight years if he's now broken. Maybe Jets have some intel.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He completely fell off a cliff last season. I wouldn't want to bet on a guy with back problems rebounding. Really thought he'd have to take a shorter contract to prove he can still play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad