Post-Game Talk: Wow. We looked Good. (but we lost). That wasn't painful at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Hog

Sep 23, 2015
Canada
Perhaps the most complete game by a Leafs team in 2+ years. The score was certainly not indicative of the Leafs effort.

Good, heavy game by the Leafs forwards. Excellent showing from Winnik line. Kadri line was great most of the game as well; nice to see JVR play with some passion in multiple facets of the game. I felt Matthias helped the Bozak/Lupul line look competent. Not a great game from TB/JL, IMO.

Defence for the most part looked good. Rielly looked wonderful; lots of poise with the puck. Pleasantly surprised with Hunwick - he seems to be a bit of a calming presence on D. I have no issue with Hunwick sporting the 'A'. I was impressed with Harrington. No flash to his game whatsoever, but refreshing to possess a reliable defensive D-man that can keep up. (AKA - not Polak or Robidas.)

Overall, not a bad showing. If the Leafs can keep this up (and improve) throughout the season, I can see them surprising a few teams. Good stuff.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
For all the Bozak hate, Kadri played 2 minutes less and finished a -2 (to Bozaks 0) and can't take important draws. While I don't think Bozak was good this game - let's not pretend Kadri was so much better.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
Put Price in the Leaf's net and Bernier in Montreal's, and the game ends up 5 or 6 to nothing for the Leafs. Not sure why people are praising Berniers play. He was terrible, and terribly lucky all game. Made a couple nice saves, that's it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm usually pro-tank, but this loss just pissed me off!

But I love how this team is playing right now :)

not sure how someone pro-tank could be pissed off with this game.

We lost, which is good(if you're pro-tank)

But most importantly, we played well, Babcock has us on a system that works, but our players suck. When we actually have competent players in a couple years we'll start winning.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
You know what's hilarious? The Habs have somehow not won a cup with Carey Price.

Such a waste of talent there. Not even a good team.
The Pens only won one with Crosby and Malkin. :dunno:

Why do people talk as if it's cheating to have a good goalie? Yes, the Habs would be much worse without Price. The Caps would be much worse without Ovechkin, too.

Donald McRonald

Interested observer
Sep 13, 2009
United Nations
All is good so far. Lots of structure and effort for the most part. This game showed at some points a few of the weaker links in the line ups. It'll be interesting to see this team take shape over the new several seasons.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
lol I was about to comment the same thing. Without Price, the Habs are bottom feeders.

I dont know about that, however in farness that is why MTL drafted him 5th overall. As a Montreal fan I have to say the leafs played a good game.

- They came out strong at the start of each period which is a good sign for leafs fans.

- You can notice the leafs breakout is very good this year compared to last year. Didn't spend much time trapped in their zone.

- They are making good entries into the offensive zone as well.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Put Price in the Leaf's net and Bernier in Montreal's, and the game ends up 5 or 6 to nothing for the Leafs. Not sure why people are praising Berniers play. He was terrible, and terribly lucky all game. Made a couple nice saves, that's it.

People are praising Bernier? Surprising. That first goal was awful and his rebound control was pretty weak for the majority of the game. Like you said, made a few big saves but other than that...

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Not sure who he would replace. All the defence looked fairly solid. Maybe Marincin? He had the least TOI of the defenders.

Marincin would be the one I would drop. Not sure if he is a good fit with Rielly though.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wonder if Corrado is jumping in on Friday?

I would take a guess and say yes. A lot of these players are similar in talent, I bet there's going to be a lot of jumping in and out of the lineup this year. Not as much sitting as a healthy scratch multiple games in a row.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
not sure how someone pro-tank could be pissed off with this game.

We lost, which is good(if you're pro-tank)

We lost, but we lost against the Habs, a team that we haven't beaten in I don't know how long... and we deserved to win!

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I expected a loss tonight. So, I was pleasantly surprised by how well they were playing. Got sucked into believing they could pull it off lol.

Babcock has these players buying into his system. If the Leafs can keep up this level of play each game, I'm going to enjoy the season, wins or losses.

Good effort by the boys.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I gotta say, the tank will be smooth if we keep losing like this. It was actually a fun and close game.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
People are praising Bernier? Surprising. That first goal was awful and his rebound control was pretty weak for the majority of the game. Like you said, made a few big saves but other than that...

No ones praising him, he was decent, gave up a serious softie and made one ridiculous save. Rebound control was a bit off, but he stopped 27 of 29. If we weren't up against Price, Berniers effort is good enough to get us the win (though I'm happy we lost)

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
The effort tonight is near the maximum of what I expect from this team (skaters), this was their "A" game. The story of this loss is an inexcusable first goal against (Bernier), and lack of talent up front to be able to capitalize on glorious opportunities especially in the 3rd period. Bernier was not able to come even close to matching the performance of Price tonight, and is becoming a concern with a poor outing following a poor camp.

Not satisfied at all with the result, it WAS painful as losing always is. The positive is that bar has been set high in terms of structure and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad