Wow Kuznetsov has arrived

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Oh, I see.

So you're just not capable of evaluating hockey talent.
Yeah, neither was anyone else until a few months ago.

Are you kidding? Just because Tom Wilson plays with 2 elite players, he's now amazing.

Tom Wilson is Matt Cooke on steroids. I never apologized for Matt Cooke, but he, like Wilson was good on the PK and a solid 3rd liner. So go ahead and keep on apologizing for him.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Lol at Matthews (he's not as good yet) and Stamkos (he's not as good anymore). Tavares and Seguin are arguably as good. Backstrom and Bergeron are better defensively but not even close offensively.
I realize there's a 6 year age gap, but go ahead and poll GMs and ask if they'd rather have Kuznetsov or Matthews centering their top line.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Oh, I see.

So you're just not capable of evaluating hockey talent.
Tom Wilson was a 1st round pick because some teams (like the Caps) like goons with some skill mixed in. I mean, are we supposed to herald him because he's not a completely worthless pylon out on the ice, but beats people up and makes a bunch of cheap shots, but can manage to pass Ovi the puck?

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Even if they did, this is a quality appeal to authority fallacy.
OK, besides watching games, what authority am I supposed to subscribe to? I mean, my view on Kopitar probably isn't great, but I've seen Kuznetsov for at least 40 games by now, and he's good, but not top 10 center material.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Lol at Matthews (he's not as good yet) and Stamkos (he's not as good anymore). Tavares and Seguin are arguably as good. Backstrom and Bergeron are better defensively but not even close offensively.
how isnt backstrom close offensively? he has 20p in playoffs playing on 1 hand. Before the injury backstrom had as many points as ovechkin kuzentsov.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
OK, besides watching games, what authority am I supposed to subscribe to? I mean, my view on Kopitar probably isn't great, but I've seen Kuznetsov for at least 40 games by now, and he's good, but not top 10 center material.
I'm curious as to what qualities you look for in a top 10 center and which of those you think Kuznetsov has or is lacking.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
how isnt backstrom close offensively? he has 20p in playoffs playing on 1 hand. Before the injury backstrom had as many points as ovechkin kuzentsov.
Let me be clear, the people that play with Ovi usually look good as playmakers. Backstrom is a better C than Kuznetsov. Kuznetsov is a superb C, but not a top 10 C, because of all the people I mentioned before. He has potential to be a top 10 C in the league, but that assumes they give him another good wing whose goal is scoring and not hitting.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
i went to caps board and backstrom isnt very popular there. The most underrated player in the league for sure.
If your view is accurate, it's pretty despicable that Caps fans have turned on Backstrom. As a fan of a division rival, I've viewed him like Bergeron and Toews over the years.

My curiosity stands. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you right now, but I'd like to know how you thought your list through.
I rattled off 10 guys I'd rather have as my 1C and he was on it because he's been a consistent performer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Top 10 player. And for those that don’t like his dance, **** you. His daughter likes it. That’s literally all that matters.

Washington has the best 2 Russians in the game right now. It’s great to watch.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
i went to caps board and backstrom isnt very popular there. The most underrated player in the league for sure.

How exactly did you come to that conclusion. Because I just went to the Oilers forum and McDavid isn't very popular there....

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
giphy.gif

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com

Backstrom is plenty popular. Caps fans universally love his play and appreciate his quiet demeanor. He is like Walter Payton. Just goes out and plays like the HoF'er he is, without any fanfare. I don't know why you would ascribe a false narrative about one of the Caps best players.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Top10 or top1000 why it matters? Caps won't trade him even for Crosby.
While I realize it's a different GM now, the Caps traded Forsberg for Martin Erat, so their evaluation of talent in the FO isn't winning my fandom.

No one has turned on him, what are you talking about?
Did you see the post that I quoted? I didn't say it, but I said if that's the case, it's pretty gross. He is one of their best players over the past 10 or so years, so it would be pretty bad if the fans are fading him now.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Backstrom is plenty popular. Caps fans universally love his play and appreciate his quiet demeanor. He is like Walter Payton. Just goes out and plays like the HoF'er he is, without any fanfare. I don't know why you would ascribe a false narrative about one of the Caps best players.
Glad he's still popular amongst the base, but let's not compare him with Walter Payton, because one is in the football HOF and the other won't have a chance to get in to the hockey HOF.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Did you see the post that I quoted? I didn't say it, but I said if that's the case, it's pretty gross. He is one of their best players over the past 10 or so years, so it would be pretty bad if the fans are fading him now.

The guy you quoted has a massive hard on for Backstrom and hates Kuznetsov. Obviously he would say that Caps fans have turned on Backstrom. Trust me, we all love Nicky :)

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Well, you won't find a perfect GM in the league. That's why we have VGK in finals.
Where did this McPhee guy come from? Totally out of no where...

The guy you quoted has a massive hard on for Backstrom and hates Kuznetsov. Obviously he would say that Caps fans have turned on Backstrom. Trust me, we all love Nicky :)
I don't troll the Caps board, so that's good to hear. You wouldn't be the first fanbase to turn on a franchise player, though, so nothing shocks me. The Pens are going to trade Crosby, Malkin or Letang depending on what month it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad