Player Discussion Would you want Zack Kassian as part of this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Considering he'll hit people, why not? Bennett ran this soft ass team tonight and only Hall managed to respond by hitting him.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Do anything and everything to shake up this baby **** soft team please.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Kassian will hit people and refs will give him a penalty because he's an Oiler.

When do the excuses end for this team? A new coach every year (almost) for 5 years. New management, a generational talent (duh he's not playing but we shouldn't be relying on him this year).

Something has to give with regards to the 'core'. Shake it up now. Lose a trade. :help:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He's a ****** player and a ****** person. I don't care about the booze/drugs, it's his obvious disregard for the well being of others that's a much harder thing to rehabilitate than addiction. Besides that he's done jack **** short of a few decent stretches with gravy linemates. The Canadians need size as bad as us up front and they don't think he's worth the trouble either. He's not even close to a Scott Hartnell. There's a chance he could be a decent player in the future but he's got a 10 cent head, average at best footspeed, and isn't some kind of defensive wizard. He's got a good shot and good strength, he'd be a great enforcer, but he's more like Ben Eager than many on here care to admit.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Kassian will hit people and refs will give him a penalty because he's an Oiler.

Can't tell if you are serious??

Is this why we have no pushback and don't play physical at all? Because we are afraid of getting called? I would be over the moon if all of our penalties came as a result of a crushing hit instead of a hook or a hold.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's a bit of a ******, but he'd add physicality, he can skate, and he's not an offensive black hole. I'll gladly take a chance on him if we're giving up nothing. Who knows maybe he can turn it around and stay clean and become a good net front presence on the PP and a potential middle 6er.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The last time we had a player like this was with Raffi Torres.

Raffi Torres had 8 less goals in a season than Kassian has had in his career, in his first two years with the Oilers he scored 7 more goals than Kassian has in nearly 200 games. How are they the same? Torres was a shutdown 3rd liner who could score in bunches. They maybe have one thing in common besides size, and it's got nothing to do with on the ice...

dd91

May 13, 2012
Yes. I see no real risk here, especially if the cost is Scrivens.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Can't be worse than the soft, weak, afraid of contact players we have in the top nine we have now.

Give him a shot and if he doesn't work out..oh well.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Personally, I don't think he will make any impact of he even gets called up to the big team, but just for a bit of persprective:

The last player the Oilers acquired who was generally viewed as being a d****e before being acquired was Andy Sutton, and he turned out to be a guy most of us liked. In terms of direspect to opposing players, Bryan Marchment made a lot of dirty, dangerous checks and Oil fans loved him, and there have likely been players with worse substance abuse issues.

Obviously, I'm not saying Kassian would turn out like the others, and as has been posted here ad nauseam, Montreal needs size and wouldn't let him anywhere near the club; however, as I see it, the team can send him to the ECHL if he brings a bad attitude and they end up saving money on Scrivens' contract.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
I don't care about the booze/drugs, it's his obvious disregard for the well being of others that's a much harder thing to rehabilitate than addiction.

This. A thousand times this. I don't care about his off-ice issues, I guarandamntee you there are guys on every single NHL roster with substance abuse problems. It's the fact that he nearly caved Gagner's entire head in and then had the audacity to mock Gagner to his face the next time they played against each other. To be such a sociopath that you can't even realise a few inches in either direction and Gagner dies on the ice and then to laugh about it?

Human garbage like that has no place in civilised society, let alone a club of millionaires.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
This. A thousand times this. I don't care about his off-ice issues, I guarandamntee you there are guys on every single NHL roster with substance abuse problems. It's the fact that he nearly caved Gagner's entire head in and then had the audacity to mock Gagner to his face the next time they played against each other. To be such a sociopath that you can't even realise a few inches in either direction and Gagner dies on the ice and then to laugh about it?

Human garbage like that has no place in civilised society, let alone a club of millionaires.

A couple suggestions:

1. Soccer or tennis
2. Margret Atwood book signings

Hockey is a dangerous sport, and being a kind courteous person is not a requirement

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Tough and stupid are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I don't know about stupid, but a little bit of crazy might be beneficial to this team. Might wake them the hell up some nights. We play way better when we're emotional and fired up, rather than sleep walking through some games and periods.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Assuming that Kassian is able to overcome his challenges and make the Oilers you have to think that Gazdic's time with this team will be coming to an end.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
A couple suggestions:

1. Soccer or tennis
2. Margret Atwood book signings

Hockey is a dangerous sport, and being a kind courteous person is not a requirement

FFS one of the Sutters called his actions classless, should Rich Sutter try watching a different sport? You sound like someone who's never played sports or if you did you're the kind of guy nobody wants on his team. These are real people not just objects for your entertainment. If Eddie ****ing Shore can shake Ace Bailey's hand then why the **** does Kassian need to act like a ***** to Gagner?

Hopefully he's learned but if you think that isn't reprehensible i hope you don't play hockey or any other sport, you're the type of guy who runs people from behind and laughs or *****es about the penalty if you do play. Guys like you have no place in our sport but thankfully you're in the minorty. During all my years of hockey i can't imagine a single teammate i've played with who'd agree with the ridiculous position you've taken on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad