Would YOU trade Chara this offseason?

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Tampa got rid of old St Louis for a much younger Callahan.

Boston would be smart to do something similar with Chara, as that's how you stay competitive.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Seidenberg with 6 extra months of recovery will be much better next year. Hamilton will be better next year. Sign or trade for a top 3 Dman and this will alleviate more pressure off Chara.

Chara may never come close to winning another Norris trophy, but can still be a top 10 Dman in the league for a couple of more years.

Seidenberg with 6 extra months of recovery will be much better next year. Hamilton will be better next year. Sign or trade for a top 3 Dman and this will alleviate more pressure off of Chara.

it would be foolish to trade him unless the return was off the charts over payment.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Seidenberg with 6 extra months of recovery will be much better next year. Hamilton will be better next year. Sign or trade for a top 3 Dman and this will alleviate more pressure off Chara.

Chara may never come close to winning another Norris trophy, but can still be a top 10 Dman in the league for a couple of more years.

Seidenberg with 6 extra months of recovery will be much better next year. Hamilton will be better next year. Sign or trade for a top 3 Dman and this will alleviate more pressure off of Chara.

it would be foolish to trade him unless the return was off the charts over payment.[/QUOTE

I don't know too many 38 year Dmen who after a serious knee injury went on to be a top 10 Dman in the league for a few more years. Chara was slow before the injury , right now he's becoming a liability. I'd have more faith in Seids progressing next year because at this point he has no where to go but up.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
Disagree 100%.

If the Bruins put Chara on the market the return would be huge.

The return would not be huge but you do it anyway for the future of your team. You may get a draft pick like a 2nd round, or a good minor league player, but that's it. Your not gonna get more for him. And he needs to go to a team that is close to winning and is maybe missing that one spark type of leader in the dressing room.

Anaheim comes to mind immediately. Vancouver might bite as well.

In any case, the only unrestricted free agent I would keep is maybe Paille but Chara, Kelly, Krejci, Smith, Rask should be moved. If Lucic Krug and Marchand are expecting pay raises they should be gone as well.

This team needs to start building a foundation on defense. There is enough good forward free agents that could do just as well as Kelly Soderberg Smith and Krejci.

Chara and Rask to Anaheim for Lindholm and Gibson would be a great start.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The return would not be huge but you do it anyway for the future of your team. You may get a draft pick like a 2nd round, or a good minor league player, but that's it. Your not gonna get more for him. And he needs to go to a team that is close to winning and is maybe missing that one spark type of leader in the dressing room.

In any case, the only unrestricted free agent I would keep is maybe Paille but Chara, Kelly, Krejci, Smith, Rask should be moved. If Lucic Krug and Marchand are expecting pay raises they should be gone as well.

This team needs to start building a foundation on defense. There is enough good forward free agents that could do just as well as Kelly Soderberg Smith and Krejci.

With a declining Canadian dollar, and with that a salary cap likely to relatively stagnant the next few seasons, this is all your getting for Chara. With that return and the Bruins existing problems on D, they should keep him for now.

If he was a UFA in 2016 some team would take a chance and pay a worthwhile price (young player, prospect, and 1st rd. pick) but a 3 year commitment at 7 mil per to a 38 year old D-man coming off a fairly serious knee injury is a cap dump move at best.

Boston's is much better off trying to move Sieidenberg and Kelly to clear space before exploring a Chara trade.

If Boston is not a playoff contender come the 2016 trade deadline, and Chara returns to have a decent year and stays healthy, then explore moving him. His trade value is pretty low right now.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Twice attempted to contribute heartfelt, thoughtful, nuanced posts per Z, and twice had them disappear into the Internet ether. Thanks, effing iPad.:)

So, I'll take the hint. Yes, Z should be on the table this summer.

"Life isn't fair," Kennedy famously remarked.

Less famously, Diamond David Lee Roth asserted, with equal veracity,

Change/Nothing stays the same/Change/And you hit the ground running...

I'll be there, in spirit if nothing else, when the Bruins hoist #33 to the rafters.

Peace. Out.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal

Wow.

are you serious?

Chara might get you a 2nd round pick?

You want to rebuild your foundation on D by trading away a guy that is still your best Dman...and trade him for a 2nd round pick or a good minor league player?

And Why would you want to keep Paille?

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
I don't understand this comment?
Do you mean that we should keep both seids and chara and add another top2D?
We are in a cap ...... so how could we do that?
And you would trade krug before seids and chara who both have max 2 years left and krug can be great offensive guy for the next 8-10years.

I like seids but let's face it he was playing bad before his injury and is 2 years older than he then was(next season), he was ready to play almost a year ago.

But we need to draft D-man in the 1st round, it could be huge for us in the next coming years.
Yes get a top 2 Dman.

Bruins 4th line is too expensive, Bruins bottom pairing Dman are to expensive.

Deedot

I'm your Huckelberry
Mar 21, 2002
New York
Visit site
Should we look to trade Chara? IMHO, unless he asks for a trade you cannot. When they signed Chara (& Savard) back in 2006 the perceptions about Boston being a place that no desirable free agent wanted to go (unless their options were greatly limited, hello Travis Green) changed literally overnight. His signing and subsequent performance brought a much needed accountability to the Bruins that was sorely missing following the trade of Ray Bourque and subsequent rebuild.

This season I feel that Chara did his best to work hard and come back from an injury that likely will require significant rehab (if not surgery) time in the off season. Why? Because he likely felt that his presence both on the ice and in the locker room was critical for the B's to even have a chance to make the playoffs this season. We have 9 games left to determine whether or not that was the right call. If they do get into the playoffs, anything can happen. Just ask the Kings. :)

Trading Chara without his desire to move on would be a public relations nightmare. He can still play a very important role for the Bruins even if his minutes are likely reduced next season & beyond being a valuable mentor as well as a key voice in the locker room.

That said, given our aging blueline I see Seidenberg pulling on a different jersey next year. As much as I like DS, the significant injury he suffered coupled with his age have led to a very noticeable drop-off in his play. I for one am anticipating some major changes to our designated core this summer, whether they make the playoffs or not.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Should we look to trade Chara? IMHO, unless he asks for a trade you cannot. When they signed Chara (& Savard) back in 2006 the perceptions about Boston being a place that no desirable free agent wanted to go (unless their options were greatly limited, hello Travis Green) changed literally overnight. His signing and subsequent performance brought a much needed accountability to the Bruins that was sorely missing following the trade of Ray Bourque and subsequent rebuild.

This season I feel that Chara did his best to work hard and come back from an injury that likely will require significant rehab (if not surgery) time in the off season. Why? Because he likely felt that his presence both on the ice and in the locker room was critical for the B's to even have a chance to make the playoffs this season. We have 9 games left to determine whether or not that was the right call. If they do get into the playoffs, anything can happen. Just ask the Kings. :)

Trading Chara without his desire to move on would be a public relations nightmare. He can still play a very important role for the Bruins even if his minutes are likely reduced next season & beyond being a valuable mentor as well as a key voice in the locker room.

That said, given our aging blueline I see Seidenberg pulling on a different jersey next year. As much as I like DS, the significant injury he suffered coupled with his age have led to a very noticeable drop-off in his play. I for one am anticipating some major changes to our designated core this summer, whether they make the playoffs or not.

I think you would have to pay someone to take Seids or have another bad contract coming back. You are probably better off crossing your fingers and hope that another offseason brings back the knee 100%. Its not impossible. See Markov in Montreal.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Can't wait to see the Bartkowski McQuaid top pairing next year.

Bart over Morrow also baffles me.

Hey let's put a guy that can't score ever and isn't even good defensively.

Thanks head office maybe the Bruins can pick up Steve Halko in the offseason.

For all you that don't know Halko went 155 games without scoring a regular season goal.

Bart is at 122 regular season games.

Wouldn't any person with hockey knowledge try someone different after this amount of time.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bart over Morrow also baffles me.

Hey let's put a guy that can't score ever and isn't even good defensively.

Thanks head office maybe the Bruins can pick up Steve Halko in the offseason.

For all you that don't know Halko went 155 games without scoring a regular season goal.

Bart is at 122 regular season games.

Wouldn't any person with hockey knowledge try someone different after this amount of time.

Here is a fun stat. Chara, McQuaid, Seidenberg, Hamilton, Krug, Miller, Trotman and Morrow all have allowed more shots per 60 minutes than Matt Bartkowski. He makes ugly gaffes, but is unfairly under a microscope around here. His skating and ability to get the puck out of the zone before it becomes a possession where the Bruins give up 4 or 5 more shots is criminally underrated around here.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Here is a fun stat. Chara, McQuaid, Seidenberg, Hamilton, Krug, Miller, Trotman and Morrow all have allowed more shots per 60 minutes than Matt Bartkowski. He makes ugly gaffes, but is unfairly under a microscope around here. His skating and ability to get the puck out of the zone before it becomes a possession where the Bruins give up 4 or 5 more shots is criminally underrated around here.

He can't score, must be Clodes favorite player.

He is a -2 with 0 goals.

Miller is a +20/with 2 gaols.

I just don't get why he is here, oh I know, Clode hates change.

You need to score to win, I wish the Bruins s knew this.

Colinsteadbruinsfan

Newfie Bruin
Nov 15, 2014
Regina, SK
I think you have too. His 7 million would be way to beneficial to use elsewhere besides On chara. He's far from elite anymore . Let him go if he will accept a trade and if anyone will take him

Deedot

I'm your Huckelberry
Mar 21, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think you would have to pay someone to take Seids or have another bad contract coming back. You are probably better off crossing your fingers and hope that another offseason brings back the knee 100%. Its not impossible. See Markov in Montreal.

True, guess everything hinges on how he comes back from this year's off-season workouts. I'm sure there's some teams that would love to add Seids because of what he brings to the table. He can be a true mentor & leader for a young defensive corps in need of a seasoned defensemen. He's a warrior that has won a Cup and played a huge roll while doing so and that is the type of player a team on the cusp of being a contender could definitely use. Guess we'll see soon enough, should be an interesting off-season.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Good post.

Get a new GM in who will put a coach in place to reduce their minutes and replace McQuaid with someone who can log tough minutes with Hamilton and I think you will see a renewed Seids (and Chara) in lesser roles once they heal.

Keep the same GM and coach and don't add any help on D and watch both get worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad