Would YOU trade Chara this offseason?

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Anyone here ever pay attention to the way Bill Belichick deals with his roster?

In the NFL, you can drop players at almost any time and you're not obligated to pay them their contract. A luxury Chiarelli does not have.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
For those of you that want to trade Chara, would knowing that Chara was playing hurt and might need surgery in the offseason change your view?

Even if he was we are looking at him being age 39 by the time next year's playoffs come around.

If a team will give you anything significant you trade him. If no one is offering anything close to fair value you just roll with him and hope the team improves.

Chiarelli has put us in an awful situation.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
For those of you that want to trade Chara, would knowing that Chara was playing hurt and might need surgery in the offseason change your view?

Not really. He's been hurt/playing poorly since Soochi. And, he's approaching 40.

His lengthy extension was just another in a series of dumb moves by Chia and his Ottawa-gasmic fascination.

Hopefully, they're be a GM or two out there, though, who think, like you perhaps, that they'll be getting a sweet deal on a really great Dman with a little mileage who's just had an off year but who still has some good years left in the tank.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It's not an excuse it was a question.

But, it is an excuse. Because it's asking a question that is unanswerable. Just the fact that it introduces the thought into one's head makes it an excuse since it is entirely speculative and not based off of any fact.

Besides which, why is a 38 year old 6'9" D-man possibly being injured going to comfort anyone's thoughts on him being here in the future? That notion alone is insane.

I'm sure responses to this post will involve some rhetoric about "better than 90% of today's D-men", "premier shutdown defenseman", "off-year", etc. At some point, it is what it is. You can keep piling up excuse on top of excuse, but it's just reality at some point. And, in my opinion, that point has long since past and it's better that everyone (especially PC) come around to it.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Can you name me another defeseman (talking about Seidenberg now) who has suffered a major knee injury in his 30's, has had a full season of awfulness, yet has stormed back into form after that? I seriously cannot think of one. It's not his fault he got injured or that he can't play at the level he used to be at. But, based on everything we know as far as other players in his situation in the past, it's absolutely foolish to make some sort of assumption that he's going to round back into form. It's crazy to even consider betting on such a thing, even if you possibly can find an example or two to answer my question.

Chara is going to be a Savior on this board for some as long as he's here. People are going to ignore everything in the present based on his past mystique and continue to make excuse after excuse for his poor play and just keep riding the same horse. Talk to me in another year or two about it, and I might actually have come around to just accepting it. I'm not there yet though.

Andrei Markov has had 2 horrible knee injuries and came back as Montreal's most reliable defenseman. Everyone loves PK, but Markov is the anchor.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Andrei Markov has had 2 horrible knee injuries and came back as Montreal's most reliable defenseman. Everyone loves PK, but Markov is the anchor.

Markov has and is still 1000x more mobile than Chara, despite having slowed down with his injuries.

There's a lot less wiggle room as far as mobility with Chara as with Markov. Markov might not have the shutdown abilities that Chara had, but he's always had far better offensive instincts and great hockey sense that makes him and PK great compliments as a defensive pair.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Nobody is going to give up anything good for Chara & Seidenberg this year after the season they've had.

Now if both come back strong next year and the Bruins miss the playoffs again then and only then would I consider trading either or both. And even then I'd be reluctant- #1 & #2 defensemen don't fall off of trees, and Hamilton is still learning the game.

Problem is they account for 10.5 Mil in cap next year. The Bruins cannot fix the D problem while carrying those salaries. At this point neither is a #1 or #2 Dman and the only way to acquire one w/o gutting the team is to part ways with those large contracts.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
But, it is an excuse. Because it's asking a question that is unanswerable. Just the fact that it introduces the thought into one's head makes it an excuse since it is entirely speculative and not based off of any fact.

Besides which, why is a 38 year old 6'9" D-man possibly being injured going to comfort anyone's thoughts on him being here in the future? That notion alone is insane.

I'm sure responses to this post will involve some rhetoric about "better than 90% of today's D-men", "premier shutdown defenseman", "off-year", etc. At some point, it is what it is. You can keep piling up excuse on top of excuse, but it's just reality at some point. And, in my opinion, that point has long since past and it's better that everyone (especially PC) come around to it.
The question was a hypothetical one intended to gauge what people would think if he was injured or needed surgery. If he is, it does affect his value around the league and will most likely mean we are stuck with him whether we like it or not ala Gregory Campbell and Chris Kelly. On the other hand, if he isn't playing hurt his value will reflect his play and for anyone who has seen him this season, he hasn't been very good.

In my opinion, everyone but Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Hamilton, and Rask should be available for the right price. With that said, I do think there will be several teams calling the B's management if he is available and healthy.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I guess if I wanted to shake things up I'd trade Chara, Lucic, and Rask. Boom 21 million of cap space right there, plus a lot of draft picks for the trade.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I guess if I wanted to shake things up I'd trade Chara, Lucic, and Rask. Boom 21 million right there of cap space right there, plus a lot of draft picks for the trade.

Or Chara, Seids & Krejci at about 18 million.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Or Chara, Seids & Krejci at about 18 million.

I don't think Lucic scores goals consistently enough to warrant a long term deal. Chara is declining, and I don't like long term deals with goalies at that price.

I'm not saying I want them to do this, but if there were moves to be made this is what I would do.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

No, do you really want to watch him limp through a recovery like Sieds did this year? And that's if you buy the excuse that it's do to his injury, did you not watch him play before the injury, he was just as bad.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I don't think Lucic scores goals consistently enough to warrant a long term deal. Chara is declining, and I don't like long term deals with goalies at that price.

I'm not saying I want them to do this, but if there were moves to be made this is what I would do.

It would be foolish to trade Rask as we don't a competent replacement at this juncture and its a position that is hard to replace right away with a draft prospect.

Lucic scores goals on pace with what the Bruins system allows. I believe if he played for another team he'd be a perennial 30 goal scorer. The rolling of 4 lines and the defensive first mentality of our coach mute any Bruins offensive numbers. Plus he still is one of the few Bruins who will check and throw his weight around.

I'd really consider trading Krejci as we have two players who can potentially roll into the permanent center ice position in Spooner and Koko.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Markov has and is still 1000x more mobile than Chara, despite having slowed down with his injuries.

There's a lot less wiggle room as far as mobility with Chara as with Markov. Markov might not have the shutdown abilities that Chara had, but he's always had far better offensive instincts and great hockey sense that makes him and PK great compliments as a defensive pair.

True, Chara was never very quick but Markov lost a big step. He had a bad knee injury, came back for a few games and completely blew out the other knee. Pretty lucky to have recovered enough to have a career considering there was a point where he played like 20 games over 2 years.

Chara is just a classic example of cap circumvention contracts. Sure, it wasn't front loaded as bad as other contracts, the term allowed Boston to spread out the financial dmg over a few years beyond what he was realistically able to play.

What would you pay Chara to play for Boston now if he were a UFA?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
True, Chara was never very quick but Markov lost a big step. He had a bad knee injury, came back for a few games and completely blew out the other knee. Pretty lucky to have recovered enough to have a career considering there was a point where he played like 20 games over 2 years.

Chara is just a classic example of cap circumvention contracts. Sure, it wasn't front loaded as bad as other contracts, the term allowed Boston to spread out the financial dmg over a few years beyond what he was realistically able to play.

What would you pay Chara to play for Boston now if he were a UFA?

Not only is that completely off-topic, it's just wrong. If you listened to Chia or Claude, you know they're hell bent on keeping Z "until he retires". There's no circumvention there...they plan on keeping him until the end of that contract, sad as it may be. If he's playing in the final year of his contract (in which he is actually getting paid 4 mil), but the cap hit is almost 7 million...where exactly is the circumvention? Sorry, you're just incorrect on that one.

And to answer your last question...I'd give him second pairing money. Around 4 million, 4.5 million maximum. Most importantly, I'd want him playing a lot less.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not only is that completely off-topic, it's just wrong. If you listened to Chia or Claude, you know they're hell bent on keeping Z "until he retires". There's no circumvention there...they plan on keeping him until the end of that contract, sad as it may be. If he's playing in the final year of his contract (in which he is actually getting paid 4 mil), but the cap hit is almost 7 million...where exactly is the circumvention? Sorry, you're just incorrect on that one.

And to answer your last question...I'd give him second pairing money. Around 4 million, 4.5 million maximum. Most importantly, I'd want him playing a lot less.

Normally, cap hits are based on AAV, but the cap hit on the last season is actually 4 million, not the 7 million cap hit on other years. It has something to do with it being an over 40 contract.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
The big thing with Z: I don't have a clue on why he's playing like that. Is it an injury? Declining performances? Something else? He gave us so many elite performances that we need to be careful with the decision of trading him.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The big thing with Z: I don't have a clue on why he's playing like that. Is it an injury? Declining performances? Something else? He gave us so many elite performances that we need to be careful with the decision of trading him.

He will not defy age,it's that simple.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Why would they do that?Be the same stupid mistake made with Boychuck.You trade him at deadline and maximize your return.

For the most part this ^^^

Only trade in off season if you are simply blown away by the return and I mean blown away.

Otherwise wait until the next trade deadline review the state of the team then and what the return would be if traded then .
Heck he could be playing great and no one will want to trade him; if not some other team will want him and be willing to give a good return hoping he gets them to the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad