Would YOU trade Chara this offseason?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Assuming he waives his no trade clause to go to a contender for fair value. Obviously, most would answer "yes" if someone would overpay, but lets assume "fair value", whatever that may be.

Some questions.

1) What do you consider "fair value" for a 38 year old D who is still playing like a #1, albeit not an elite #1. He does have an injury that *could* get better after an offseason of rest. He has two years left at a high cap hit, and one year at a cap hit that is appropriate for a middle pairing guy.

2) If you do deal Chara obviously you have opened the door to making some real changes, who else is on your "if I can get fair value" trade list?

My answers.

I would trade Chara. I would expect a return a little better than the Yandle return (1st, 2nd, top prospect). If I did deal Chara; everyone but Bergeron, Hamilton, Rask and the kids are on the table.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
You definitely look into it; you don't do it unless the return is worth it.

I know, there will be some here who would cry foul over it, but the thought of a slow, 40 year old Chara is not a very nice one.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
No.
I believe he can return to form next season. The Bruins would not get back what they would lose if they dealt him.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
For the right deal I would

Bergy....No ****ing way. He is the heart and soul of the B's.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Yes. I would have traded him two years ago.

At this point with the way he's playing and his contract, if the bruins can get a 1st round pick for him they should try to pull the trigger on a deal.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado

At this point with the way he's playing and his contract, if the bruins can get a 1st round pick for him they should try to pull the trigger on a deal.

Really? You would have traded our clear number one during a season and post season where they were two games from winning another Cup?

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Really? You would have traded our clear number one during a season and post season where they were two games from winning another Cup?

I was referring to the off season after the Chicago series.

I haven't seen him as a clear #1 since the 2011 playoffs. IMO, Seidenberg was the clear cut #1 d-man on this team at the end of the 2013 campaign (obviously that's changed now).

He's too slow and struggles when the puck is in his feet along the boards. He can't seem to win those 1 on 1 battles anymore. He can't make a breakout pass to the wingers to save his life. He turns the puck over almost as much as Hamilton.

The only thing Chara had going for him was his physicality and ability to shut down the opposition one on one. Now that's all but gone.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You look at ALL deals if the return is right

Even Bergeron, and I think Bergeron is far more valuable than just what he gives you on the ice

I would trade Chara if the return was right.

But that return would have to include a top young D-man. And any team acquiring Chara is looking to add to their D-corps not subtract from it and I don't see any team trading a top young D-man to the Bruins in exchange for a 38 year old Chara.

This team doesn't need more forwards or goaltenders.

Now if a deal was made to ship out some forwards to bring back that top young D-man, then Chara could be used to help replace the outgoing forwards.

This team's main issue is their back end. Shipping out Chara for picks/prospects doesn't help that issue at all. I don't believe the return would be all that great for Chara at his age anyways.

Chara has more value to the Bruins than he does another team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For our future yes,

I like him but have to be honest as I've been with him that his game is not what it used to be, I was disappointed already before his injury.

Would be great if he would retire and stayed with the club.
Gets the respect he deserves.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Last year the teams GAA with Chara on the ice during 5 on 5 was 1.69. While playing against top competition. He was still elite even last year.

This year his knee injury has really made the wheels come off. His 5 on 5 GAA is 2.90.

Some of that is bad luck (Rask's save % with Chara on the ice is EDM level...and that can't be all on Chara/Hamilton...can it? Jesus. I hope not.), but some of it is obvious regression. We will see if a rested knee in the offseason will improve things whether its in a spoked B or not.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Now if a deal was made to ship out some forwards to bring back that top young D-man, then Chara could be used to help replace the outgoing forwards

This is what I would have in mind.

Chara has more value to the Bruins than he does another team.

Don't know if I agree with this. If you say that the Bruins are not going to be Cup contenders, wouldn't Chara be more valuable to a team like the Ducks who are in their Cup window right now?

In fact, Chara would be more valuable to a lot of western conference teams than the Bruins. There are more big physical teams out west than small and fast teams like out east. Plays to Chara's strengths better.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
Why would they do that?Be the same stupid mistake made with Boychuck.You trade him at deadline and maximize your return.

I see your point but the Boychuk situation was screwed up by Chiarelli.
After trading Boychuk, you want to see what your young up and coming d-men can do and I get that. The thing is, Chiarelli should have made a deal by mid-season and not scramble at the deadline like he usually does and get little for the effort.
Time will tell with Connolly but he needed to bring in defence help and he failed.
Trading Chara will free up $7 million. That can get you a cheaper d-man. Will it be a number 1 or 2 d-man ? Mmmmm not likely, but you might find another younger and healthier version of Seidenberg or McQuaid for half the money and I would be ok with that. At 38, I don't know what return the Bruins can get but it is time to move on from Chara.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
Plenty of players that need to be let go before chara. That being said, if the return is good you do it.

If the Bruins miss the playoffs or do little if they do actually get in then there shall be several changes. I just don't want to speculate. I think we all agree on a few of the players that always get mentioned but if Julien is allowed to stay then who knows. Probably trade the kids for more defensive minded players.:(

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is what I would have in mind.

Don't know if I agree with this. If you say that the Bruins are not going to be Cup contenders, wouldn't Chara be more valuable to a team like the Ducks who are in their Cup window right now?

In fact, Chara would be more valuable to a lot of western conference teams than the Bruins. There are more big physical teams out west than small and fast teams like out east. Plays to Chara's strengths better.

While not true Cup Contenders I don't see the Bruins going into rebuild mode. If anything they try to re-tool this summer and compete for the playoffs next season. And if they are still trying to compete for the playoffs in 2016 than Chara is valuable to the Bruins going into next season. The earliest I see the Bruins considering a rebuild is next March if they are outside the playoff picture and Loui and Lucic's contracts are almost up.

If they are not going rebuild this summer than you keep Chara. This D-corps is weak enough now as it is.

I don't see any of the Western Contenders such as Anaheim coughing up a big return for a 38 year old coming off a knee injury. Remember he is signed for 3 more years after this at almost 7 million per. If he had one year left and was UFA, then yeah I can see a contending team thinking Chara is the piece that gets them over the hump. With 3 years left on his deal don't believe his trade value is all that high. Some teams would consider it a salary cap dump. I'd say at best Boston could get is a 2nd rd. pick and a mid-level prospect. If that's the return you keep Chara going into 2015-16.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
He clearly wants to stay in the East so he only waives his NTC to an East team. It would only be for cap relief and/or futures, can't see any team giving you "now value" for him, but at this point, that's fine with me.

Randomtask68

Jul 19, 2010
Burlington, MA
Last year the teams GAA with Chara on the ice during 5 on 5 was 1.69. While playing against top competition. He was still elite even last year.

This year his knee injury has really made the wheels come off. His 5 on 5 GAA is 2.90.

Some of that is bad luck (Rask's save % with Chara on the ice is EDM level...and that can't be all on Chara/Hamilton...can it? Jesus. I hope not.), but some of it is obvious regression. We will see if a rested knee in the offseason will improve things whether its in a spoked B or not.

Where did you find those stats?

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
With an old guy in the twilight of his career, you get 10X the value trading him at the deadline to a contender with stars in their eyes clouding their judgement. I can't see anybody taking him on for any level of picks or prospects in July, teams retooling in the offseason tend not to covet ancient expensive players clinging to past glory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad