Speculation: Would you trade a future-Krejci for a future-Horton?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Thanks.

Fwiw, I do think Spooner could play wing. He's said he feels like he's smart enough to convert. I don't know that it's the best use of his talents, and the Bruins have, IMO, shown a bit of tunnel vision with their insistence on not moving him around a bit to develop some versatility. So either they see something (I don't) that suggests he's not a good candidate to switch, or they had a plan for him that's now being upended a bit.

I don't have someone specific in mind, but I know the type: a young gunner with skill and tenacity. A guy like Tyler Toffoli comes to mind, but LA isn't in need of a C. For a deal to work, I think you'd have to find a team that's in need of help down the middle, and then see if they have a high-end right winger.

You might have to throw in a pick, but would you deal Spooner for Saad?

CHI seems thin after Toews and Handzus is about 80. I know CHI has Pirri in the wings, but Spooner was better in the AHL at a younger age.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I wouldn't trade a future-Krejci for a future-Horton. Part of the reason is that if a player is a future-Krejci, he's going to be outstanding in the playoffs (to me, Krejci has probably been the best forward in the playoffs the past 4 to 5 years). While it's nice to have a performer during the regular season, championships are won in the playoffs.

Horton didn't deliver in the playoffs?

It's a tough question Bill.

Certainly a compelling enough of an argument on either side of the coin. I think he (The Spoons) can play on this team and future iterations - but looking at next year: will Soderberg and returning winger from this trade be more difficult to play against than Spooner centering Soda? I think that's the real question.

Ultimately, it is about icing a better team, a harder team to play against, a deeper team who can score from any line. So if the deal is right, you jump. But that's easy to say and harder to pull off.

Someone mentioned Emerson Etem and that'd probably be my pick of the litter and I'm still not sure I'd do that; I like the potential of that prospect but he's struggled, too. They all have learning curves.

Well said.

But who are you talking about acquiring?

I'm reluctant to name names because if someone doesn't value, say Emerson Etem, the same as I do then all of a sudden I'm looking to "downgrade" and not trade Grade A for Grade A. That said, I lile some of the names I've seen mentioned. i.e. Palmieri, Smith-Pelly, Toffoli, Marcus Foligno, Brett Connolly...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

CHI seems thin after Toews and Handzus is about 80. I know CHI has Pirri in the wings, but Spooner was better in the AHL at a younger age.

Yes.

I hate to say it. Spooner is going to be a stud, but Saad could be the better goal scorer and the size/strength component makes us a tougher playoff team now and in the near future while Spoons is building up his man-strength and adjusting to the league.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
its interesting reading this post and matching up what the Bruins apparently think

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My apologies BNHL. I never meant to make the implication that the latter opinion was yours... That's my folly through quoting you directly and via "'s and you're correct to correct me.

Still stands that there are some in Kelly's Korner who have expressed that hypocritical conflict of opinions.

And Spooner WAS doing just fine until reports about an ankle injury surfaced and his intensity dropped. I'd be very hesitant to believe that the two are simply coincidence and that Spooner all of the sudden STOPPED improving without reason.

I never heard about the injury but wouldn't you expect any young player to improve in stops and starts? I thought he was a non factor for his last handful of games and at times invisible. That's not saying I think he's not a talent but a talent that was in a stall. I think it's typical.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I never heard about the injury but wouldn't you expect any young player to improve in stops and starts? I thought he was a non factor for his last handful of games and at times invisible. That's not saying I think he's not a talent but a talent that was in a stall. I think it's typical.
He hurt his ankle in the second period of the Winnipeg game- maybe missed a shift, but hurt to stop and start but don't believe said anything about it because its The Show, baby, The Show.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I love Ryan but you are drinking that ****ed up beer you dropped at the Patriots game because you are light weight if you think Chicago gives up Saad for Spooner at this time.

Chiarelli was all over Kassian on draft day maybe he can get him now- he looks like a mess and maybe Boston would be able to bring out the beast or best or both in him

member 96824

The ankle hasn't been well documented, his sickness and loss of 13 points has though.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine

Saad for Spooner is an easy yes from me.

Saad is already a top 6 player and is very good defensively and will only get better.

He doesn't even play with Toews either, IIRC he plays on Shaw's wing on their third line. Either way he's a stud and would make a great Bruin, too bad that will never happen.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I love Ryan but you are drinking that ****ed up beer you dropped at the Patriots game because you are light weight if you think Chicago gives up Saad for Spooner at this time.

Chiarelli was all over Kassian on draft day maybe he can get him now- he looks like a mess and maybe Boston would be able to bring out the beast or best or both in him

Which is an interesting thought, but I wouldn't deal Spooner for him.

What is it the Bruins apparently think about Spooner?

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
If the deal is good, I'm dealing him for sure. There's comparaison between Spooner and Krejci here, but personnaly I see Spooner skill set alot more like a Sam Gagne, Mikael Grabovsky. Defenitely skilled, but a skill set who doesn't suit well on wings or on a bottom 6 line and not good enough to be a top 2 center on a cup contender.

I know he's young and anything can happen, it's just the way I see it (I've been wrong before, mainly with Marchand who I didn't think was going to make it back to his day in the Q).

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

That ****** up beer was Steel Rail which is better than any swill I have seen you guzzling. Apparently, you have been drinking tonight and missed the part where I said Spooner alone would not get you Saad? LOL. This is a hypothetical, just looking at wings of similar age and ability as Spooner.

member 96824

If the deal is good, I'm dealing him for sure. There's comparaison between Spooner and Krejci here, but personnaly I see Spooner skill set alot more like a Sam Gagne, Mikael Grabovsky. Defenitely skilled, but a skill set who doesn't suit well on wings or on a bottom 6 line and not good enough to be a top 2 center on a cup contender.

I know he's young and anything can happen, it's just the way I see it (I've been wrong before, mainly with Marchand who I didn't think was going to make it back to his day in the Q).

That's a lot to gather from a kids first 22 games, which were more productive than most on the current rosters first 22.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
That's a lot to gather from a kids first 22 games, which were more productive than most on the current rosters first 22.

I explain why I said that and said it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong. It's the way I see it, if I had to bet the house on a Gagner vs Krejci career I would bet on Gagner. Doesn't mean you're wrong going the other way, cause as we both said, it's too early for defenitive conclusion.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

pretty sure there's no chance you get saad period, let alone for spooner+.........we should've picked him instead of koko ;)

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
I think Spooner had to play centre, he does not seem to have a great shot from what I've seen, better at dishing the puck for sure.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
No, under no circumstance do I trade Krejci. This franchise revolves around it's depth at center. I like Ryan Spooner but we are talking about dealing a guy who has led the playoffs in scoring 2 out of 3 years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
pretty sure there's no chance you get saad period, let alone for spooner+.........we should've picked him instead of koko ;)

Wasn't he in Knoghts class- btw if you read part I of Knight Shaft it's good to know the suits think like me. Just satin'

Also watch for a mutiny soon- not Boston

And oh those scouts at the game last night I wonder who they were looking at....hmmm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad