Speculation: Would you trade a future-Krejci for a future-Horton?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Soderberg seems to be settling in nicely in the 3C role. If you recall, Chiarelli said he thought this guy could be a 2nd line center in the NHL, and that certainly looks like a possibility right now. He's big, he's strong, he plays an active, determined game and he has some good chemistry with Eriksson. He still has some work to do on face-offs, but he's got 5pts in the 5 games he's played in the middle and looks extremely comfortable there.

So where does that leave Ryan Spooner?

I love this kid. I think the skating and skill level he brings give him first line potential. But like Tyler Seguin, is he going to get a shot in the middle? It would take a mountain to move Krejci or Bergeron out of their spots, and Soderberg's combination of size, skill and drive is a real nice fit for a Boston Bruin 3rd line, one that IMO, really needs to be both offensive AND tough to play against.

So, if all this holds and Soderberg continues to cement himself into that 3c role the rest of the way and in the playoffs, then what are our options with Ryan Spooner? Would you try to convert him to wing? Do you put Soderberg back against the wall where he wall where he was less effective? Or do you consider moving Spooner for someone of equal age, talent and upside but at a position that we need or may need down the line. (i.e. A triggerman for the Krejci line once Iginla moves on.)

Tough call for me personally. I've been a huge Spooner fan for a long time and I love seeing him be recognized by the board for his talent and upside. At the same time, this team has no succession plan in place for that RW spot next to Krejci, and we're beyond deep down the middle (and in goal, and on defense, and in LH'd forwards).

Thoughts?

BREWins22

May 5, 2010
Boston,Ma
With Chara's window closing and this team being built to win a cup(s) in next 3-4 years, I would consider moving Spooner for an equality talented winger. As you said, Bergy and Krejci aren't going anywhere, so do we really want to hold onto a third line C prospect with Soderberg playing so well?

The question is - Who is Spooner's equal on the wing that another team would be willing to move? It shouldn't be too difficult as good C prospects are more valuable than good W prospects.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Good thread Bill.

It's a great question really. We've already dealt one young, talented player in part because of a logjam up the middle, and it certainly seems Spooner could be in the same spot.

Has there ever been any talk of him trying to play LW? Is there any chance he could adapt his game to be more of a St. Louis, Skinner type of player? Does he have that kind of shot? Assuming the answer is no to these, I think you have to consider moving him. I don't see how he ends up playing with top line wingers on this team, and it's clear a skilled center is somewhat wasted centering third line wingers.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Soderberg seems to be settling in nicely in the 3C role. If you recall, Chiarelli said he thought this guy could be a 2nd line center in the NHL, and that certainly looks like a possibility right now. He's big, he's strong, he plays an active, determined game and he has some good chemistry with Eriksson. He still has some work to do on face-offs, but he's got 5pts in the 5 games he's played in the middle and looks extremely comfortable there.

So where does that leave Ryan Spooner?

I love this kid. I think the skating and skill level he brings give him first line potential. But like Tyler Seguin, is he going to get a shot in the middle? It would take a mountain to move Krejci or Bergeron out of their spots, and Soderberg's combination of size, skill and drive is a real nice fit for a Boston Bruin 3rd line, one that IMO, really needs to be both offensive AND tough to play against.

So, if all this holds and Soderberg continues to cement himself into that 3c role the rest of the way and in the playoffs, then what are our options with Ryan Spooner? Would you try to convert him to wing? Do you put Soderberg back against the wall where he wall where he was less effective? Or do you consider moving Spooner for someone of equal age, talent and upside but at a position that we need or may need down the line. (i.e. A triggerman for the Krejci line once Iginla moves on.)

Tough call for me personally. I've been a huge Spooner fan for a long time and I love seeing him be recognized by the board for his talent and upside. At the same time, this team has no succession plan in place for that RW spot next to Krejci, and we're beyond deep down the middle (and in goal, and on defense, and in LH'd forwards).

Thoughts?

Would not trade Krejci for a future Horton, ever. Bruin's are strong down the middle at the moment but an injury or two and look out, things are not looking good. Spooner, although talented, showed he is not yet ready, Yeti has only a handful of games at center, not going to put him on the first line just yet. Bergy is great but will not replace the offence that Krejci brings. It was not all that long ago fans on this forum were going off about lack of depth on D, now look, not worried yet. If Spooner and Yeti are capable of playing center on the Bruins, they are going to have to earn it, not trade a first line center then hope one of these guys can fill the gap. Just my opinion.

Edit: Just realize you were talking about trading Spooner not Krejci, saw Krejci's name and trade then saw RED LOL. I would trade Spooner in a heart beat for a Horton type player.

member 96824

While I wish they would try him at wing, I know he's not comfortable there at all.

Like anyone else, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to moving him for the right return..do you have someone in mind Bill?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yes. I would. Was wondering yesterday if an offer of Seguin/Spooner would have landed Vanek. Or maybe Spooner could be the other wing for Soderberg.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
My vote is no.

A guy like Krejci got his chance to shine when Savard got hurt. What's to say he doesn't do the same if Bergeron or DK did the same in the future?

I know, it's all hypothetical, but I'm not inclined to trade a player with his skill set and one of the most important positions in hockey.

I look no further then when the Canucks made a huge mistake in trading Cody Hodgson. While he had beef with the Canucks coaching staff and wanted out, Canucks thought it would be a good idea to address another need because Sedin/Kesler were ahead of him in the depth chart and that didn’t work out too well. Kassian is an absolute DUD.

I just think, the way this team has been built over the years, we don’t necessarily need to unload our best prospects to get the guys we need. I don’t see it changing as Boston continues to be patient with most of their guys in Providence.

It's a different story if we're a team like Calgary/Florida...trying to find another diamond in rough. But with Boston, we're already established with legit talent and don't need to pull off that type of gamble.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Would not trade Krejci for a future Horton, ever. Bruin's are strong down the middle at the moment but an injury or two and look out, things are not looking good. Spooner, although talented, showed he is not yet ready, Yeti has only a handful of games at center, not going to put him on the first line just yet. Bergy is great but will not replace the offence that Krejci brings. It was not all that long ago fans on this forum were going off about lack of depth on D, now look, not worried yet. If Spooner and Yeti are capable of playing center on the Bruins, they are going to have to earn it, not trade a first line center then hope one of these guys can fill the gap. Just my opinion.

I'm BMC and I approve this post :nod:

A winger can't do much if there is no one to get them the puck. Sure some wingers can create some offense on their own but I think that is limited compared to having a true play making center like Krejci who can create offense out of virtually nothing with his vision & hands.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Absolutely I would, if you could move him for a guy akin to say a Tyler Toffoli (not that LA would make that deal), but a guy in that mold. For sure I would.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I'd go for it. How long is Iggy likely to stay? This season? The next?

And who do we have in the pipeline at RW? Nick Johnson? - DOA. The guy's a bottom 6 player.

I guess it all depends on what you think we will get out of Loui Ericsson, and if you want to keep him on the right side. If you think he would deliver the goods as the top RW, then you've got plenty of time, and you should hang on to Spooner until you find a better spot to fill. If you think #21 isn't going to be a good fit, then make a trade.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The current depth at any position should never dictate a move. It's like a team passing on a player they have rated higher in the draft because they need help at another spot. You always take the better player. In this case, if they feel that Spooner's ceiling is ultimately higher than an available guy that may fit their current needs better, they need to do the right thing and hang onto the better player. You can't start making moves based on needs, because like others have pointed out, you're only an injury away from now having a weakness at an area that you felt was deep.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Too soon, In a year or so... Maybe if the opportunity is too good to pass up.
They need to know if Spooner can be what they need him to.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
First, I'd like to see how Soderberg does in the playoffs--particularly at center--if Spooner is to be dealt.

As far as natural RW's, Eberle would be my target. The Bruins don't have a top 6 right shooting RW in their near future without a trade. Edmonton would want a goalie, too.

member 96824

First, I'd like to see how Soderberg does in the playoffs--particularly at center--if Spooner is to be dealt.

As far as natural RW's, Eberle would be my target. The Bruins don't have a top 6 right shooting RW in their near future without a trade. Edmonton would want a goalie, too.

Love Eberle, but that leaves a right side of Eberle-Smith-Eriksson.

I've seen butter that holds up stronger than that :laugh:

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I'd go for it. How long is Iggy likely to stay? This season? The next?

And who do we have in the pipeline at RW? Nick Johnson? - DOA. The guy's a bottom 6 player.

I guess it all depends on what you think we will get out of Loui Ericsson, and if you want to keep him on the right side. If you think he would deliver the goods as the top RW, then you've got plenty of time, and you should hang on to Spooner until you find a better spot to fill. If you think #21 isn't going to be a good fit, then make a trade.

Unless Smith hits a wall next year, having him and Louie as your top 6 isn't too shabby.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I am conflicted on this one as well.

I love Spooner and fully believe he will be a good pro. I also like Soderberg and I think he is better equipped to play center.

I am not inclined to trade Spooner, but I never say never on trades, and if I was going to do it, then it would have to be for something similar to what you described: and up and coming, goal-scoring winger who projects as a top line player.

But I think it comes down to what the Bruins think about Soderberg going forward. Right now, he is a terrific bargain, and he give you a lot of bang for your buck playing on the third line. But he is not a kid, and once this contract is up, he is going to command more money. I don't know if I see him as a 2nd line center on a Cup-winning team. I think he's 3rd line center on a Cup-winning team, like he is now.

If I had to choose to commit to one player at center going forward, either Soderberg or Spooner, I am taking Spooner. He is younger and I think he has much more upside. Soderberg is still learning the NHL game, and he is improving all the time, but he is much closer to what he is going to be than Spooner is. If you are talking about who should the Bs commit to as their 3rd line center for the near future, and possible 2nd or 1st line center in the distant future, then it's Spooner. I think he has much more chance of being a true 2nd line center (maybe even a 1st) than Soderberg does.

All that being said, Spooner has more trade value, and if you are hungry for a goal-scoring winger, then he would be the one you had to move, and you commit to Soderberg, at least for the time being. I would have to know the players involved, but if trading Spooner made the team better, I would consider it.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
It's simple, really. You look to trade him for someone of equal value who plays another position. He's a great little player but even if Yeti didnt pan out as a center Spooner would be in a position of centering 3rd line wingers the rest of his career as a Bruin.

Maybe raid EDMs cupboard of prospects for a d man? Who knows, but I think he needs to get dealt eventually.

member 96824

Eriksson can move to LW. Don't forget that Spooner is no grittier or bigger than Eberle.

I know, but Spooner's only real position is center...and he'll more than likely be on the third line.

A top 6 of
Lucic-Krejci-Eberle
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith

or Loui in there somewhere is pretty soft.

If we're talking moving Spooner for a DSP or Emerson Etem type, then I'm intrigued.

2KA

Oct 15, 2013
Saskatchewan
I would do it. As has been mentioned, our window to win (the Chara effect) is in the next 3 years. If trading Spooner gets us a top 6 winger/scorer, I do it in a heartbeat.

But, if they don't have plans to give Krejci an extension, then Spooner needs to stick around.

aejk

May 18, 2011
My answer is no. Great centers make good wingers great.

However, I think it is not a coincidence that Chris Pronger has been to Stanley Cups with several teams; I would trade Spooner+ for the next Chara.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Good thread Bill.

It's a great question really. We've already dealt one young, talented player in part because of a logjam up the middle, and it certainly seems Spooner could be in the same spot.

Has there ever been any talk of him trying to play LW? Is there any chance he could adapt his game to be more of a St. Louis, Skinner type of player? Does he have that kind of shot? Assuming the answer is no to these, I think you have to consider moving him. I don't see how he ends up playing with top line wingers on this team, and it's clear a skilled center is somewhat wasted centering third line wingers.

While I wish they would try him at wing, I know he's not comfortable there at all.

Like anyone else, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to moving him for the right return..do you have someone in mind Bill?

Thanks.

Fwiw, I do think Spooner could play wing. He's said he feels like he's smart enough to convert. I don't know that it's the best use of his talents, and the Bruins have, IMO, shown a bit of tunnel vision with their insistence on not moving him around a bit to develop some versatility. So either they see something (I don't) that suggests he's not a good candidate to switch, or they had a plan for him that's now being upended a bit.

I don't have someone specific in mind, but I know the type: a young gunner with skill and tenacity. A guy like Tyler Toffoli comes to mind, but LA isn't in need of a C. For a deal to work, I think you'd have to find a team that's in need of help down the middle, and then see if they have a high-end right winger.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I know, but Spooner's only real position is center...and he'll more than likely be on the third line.

A top 6 of
Lucic-Krejci-Eberle
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith

or Loui in there somewhere is pretty soft.

If we're talking moving Spooner for a DSP or Emerson Etem type, then I'm intrigued.

Good points. Of course, I'd consider moving on from Eriksson for the winger you describe, too.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The current depth at any position should never dictate a move. It's like a team passing on a player they have rated higher in the draft because they need help at another spot. You always take the better player. In this case, if they feel that Spooner's ceiling is ultimately higher than an available guy that may fit their current needs better, they need to do the right thing and hang onto the better player. You can't start making moves based on needs, because like others have pointed out, you're only an injury away from now having a weakness at an area that you felt was deep.

I disagree. I think need and organizational depth are the main reason most deals are made.

Even the idea of drafting the BPA falls back on depth. i.e. If you end up with too many good players at one position then you can trade from a position of strength and depth.

Fwiw, I'm not saying they should downgrade, or give up the best player in the deal. I'm saying trade a Grade A apple for a Grade A orange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad