Speculation: Would you trade a future-Krejci for a future-Horton?

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Ladies and gentlemen you move him right now, today, at this moment for Zach Kassian. Vancouver gets a solid 3rd line C for their 3rd line RW.

Lucic - Krejci - Kassian

I'd do this, but I think I'd keep Iginla to play on that line and slot Kassian on our third with the two Swedes. Add some more toughness to the bottom six as well. And maybe Kassian develops into a twenty goal guy.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Someone here mentioned Teravainen. I highly doubt Chicago trades him. He is gonna be special imo. However, Chicago is desperate for some Center depth and Spooner has the making of that 2nd line playmaking center they seek.

As a Bruin fan, I do that trade in a heartbeat.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'm not so sure about that. Claude wanted Kelly back and we all knew it was just a matter of time before he was back in his spot on the 3rd line, I do think Spooner's injury made it easier, but IMO, it was just a matter of time.

Kelly doesn't have his spot back. He's playing wing... And I do believe that even though Julien digs his vets, he'd do what was best for his team. Spooner was aces before his troubles and was getting better on a nightly basis. And with Merlot looking ugly lately, Kelly is a better fit to get 'em going than Spoons (or Hell's Teeth, CARON for that matter).

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Dump all the assets and tank next season, acquire McDavid, move Krejci to RW. Problem solved.

Also trade our 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 2nd round picks for the 2nd overall and get Eichel. I've done it in NHL 14, it works, I swear.

Lucic-McDavid-Eichel
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson
Smith-Krejci-Iginla
Paille-Soderberg-Kelly

Guarantee Chia won't do it though :shakehead :sarcasm:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Kelly doesn't have his spot back. He's playing wing... And I do believe that even though Julien digs his vets, he'd do what was best for his team. Spooner was aces before his troubles and was getting better on a nightly basis. And with Merlot looking ugly lately, Kelly is a better fit to get 'em going than Spoons (or Hell's Teeth, CARON for that matter).

I thought Spooner started out better than he finished,kind of hit a wall.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My personal opinion is that our success has had much less to do with style and system and more to do with our core 4 forwards, Chara, and Vezina level goaltending.

Well I agree we certainly wouldn't have won without TT but I think the Bruins have a present day rep of tight,defensive, physical hard working and opportunistic play.

member 96824

I thought Spooner started out better than he finished,kind of hit a wall.

Hurting your ankle and losing 13 pounds to sickness will do that to you. It's a thick wall haha

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
I'd put him on the wing before i trade him but no one is untradable. If its a good deal you do it, i doubt said good deal will be out there in the foreseeable future.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

I guess we'll see after the Olympics if Spooner is back up centering the 3rd line. My money is against it, but you never know.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I guess we'll see after the Olympics if Spooner is back up centering the 3rd line. My money is against it, but you never know.

I'm with you. even before Spooner got injured I don't think he showed he was ready in the defensive end to warrant being the third line center for the rest of the year. and if everyone here has been a Bruins fan for longer then this season then they should know that Claude expects his centers to be defensively responsible, especially the third line center. I think the only people who were expecting Spooner to be the third line center for the rest of the year post on here. I would be shocked to see Spooner as the third line center come playoff time, and I think Spooners going to be a top 6 center on a good team in the NHL in the near future.

as for the original question..I'd be open to trading him for the right player. Although, if we were to trade him I'd feel better if we packaged him with something and got a proven top 6 right winger instead.

Mr. Make-Believe

Hurting your ankle and losing 13 pounds to sickness will do that to you. It's a thick wall haha

It's funny that for some, Kelly gets the injury excuse for the last 12 months... And Spooner "hit a wall".

You're likely correct. But it was Spooner's ailment that kept him from cementing his place. Not inevitable fate that came with Kelly's return. As evidenced by Soderberg being "allowed" to ride at center while he looks strong doing so.

Mr. Make-Believe

As a much more simple answer to Bill's question, I feel naturally opposed to trading futures for futures UNLESS both parties seem ill-fitted to their respective clubs. Reclamation project for likewise.

It's the kind of deal that seems to bite one of its participants square in the ass much of the time.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It's funny that for some, Kelly gets the injury excuse for the last 12 months... And Spooner "hit a wall".

You're likely correct. But it was Spooner's ailment that kept him from cementing his place. Not inevitable fate that came with Kelly's return. As evidenced by Soderberg being "allowed" to ride at center while he looks strong doing so.

Well I think Spooner "hit a wall" but I never ever made any excuses for Kelly so you're taking 2 opinions and merging them as one person's.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I disagree. I think need and organizational depth are the main reason most deals are made.

Even the idea of drafting the BPA falls back on depth. i.e. If you end up with too many good players at one position then you can trade from a position of strength and depth.

Fwiw, I'm not saying they should downgrade, or give up the best player in the deal. I'm saying trade a Grade A apple for a Grade A orange.

But who are you talking about acquiring?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Yes, we should look to trade Ryan Spooner. We will need another stalwart defenseman for the playoffs. Maybe Spooner for Volchenkov?

Khokhlachev is a very similar player to Spooner, yet Spooner will have twice the trade value right now because of his demonstrated ability to play in the NHL. And Khokhlachev can play the wing.

It is more important to keep and develop Soderberg in that center position.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes, we should look to trade Ryan Spooner. We will need another stalwart defenseman for the playoffs. Maybe Spooner for Volchenkov?

Khokhlachev is a very similar player to Spooner, yet Spooner will have twice the trade value right now because of his demonstrated ability to play in the NHL. And Khokhlachev can play the wing.

It is more important to keep and develop Soderberg in that center position.

Volchenkov is completely cooked.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Spooner + does not get us Yakupov.

Edmonton would want Hamilton, and we're not in a position to deal Hamilton anyway.

member 96824

Kings need wingers anyways...they've got Kopitar, Richards, Carter and Stoll as available centers. Find me a better group than that

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Here are some of the top Winger prospects I think you'd be looking at, some obviously you'd have to add one way or the other:

Yakupov
Bartschi
Toffoli
Teravainen
Chiasson
Ritchie
Zucker
Forsberg
Rattie
Kristo
Miller
Tom Wilson
Etem
Gaudreau
Pearson
Nieto
Armia
Mantha
Jurco
Collberg
Panik
Kucherov

Ok. A lot of these guys are top tier nhl prospects. We're talking about former first overall picks and top line talent. Spooner is nice prospect, but am I missing something? What has he done yet to show he belongs in this crowd?

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Spooner + does not get us Yakupov.

Edmonton would want Hamilton, and we're not in a position to deal Hamilton anyway.
Yakupov is like the anti-Bruin, I want him nowhere near this team.

To answer the original question, I'd say you hold on to him. If you get a really good deal then sure you pull the trigger, but I don't think we should be shopping him or anything. He's a key piece to the future.

Mr. Make-Believe

Well I think Spooner "hit a wall" but I never ever made any excuses for Kelly so you're taking 2 opinions and merging them as one person's.

My apologies BNHL. I never meant to make the implication that the latter opinion was yours... That's my folly through quoting you directly and via "'s and you're correct to correct me.

Still stands that there are some in Kelly's Korner who have expressed that hypocritical conflict of opinions.

And Spooner WAS doing just fine until reports about an ankle injury surfaced and his intensity dropped. I'd be very hesitant to believe that the two are simply coincidence and that Spooner all of the sudden STOPPED improving without reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad