Would you sign Duchene / Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Acccountant

Feb 3, 2019
Before I get destroyed on my first post (I’m a long time lurker) I want to preface this post with 1) I hate Melnyk and 2) Duchene is my favourite player on the team.

That being said, if you became GM with a new owner today would you actually sign these guys? Given the “potential” (big assumption given PD) returns and the fact we could get picks / prospects who will contribute at the time our young core is ready to compete I’m starting to think maybe we are better off trading them?

I don’t believe Stone / Duchene will be the same type of players when we are ready to push for the playoffs and to be honest I want a shot at Lafreniere / Byfield next year. The worst thing that could happen is we sign both and end up 10th last missing the playoffs and a shot at a young superstar.

Steer me right HF boards, am I drinking the cool-aid? What would you do?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Personally?

I would sign them all to appropriate, bonus-laden deals and announce them at the same time.

Then immediately resign my post and leave Melnyk stuck with the bill. He won't be able to pay, and will end up losing the team to his creditors.

Oh you said new owner. Ah. Well.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I would. Eventually there would have to be a passing of the guard but having Stone and Duchene around would go a long way in helping the younger talent reach their full potential.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
We are currently last with both of them. Not sure keeping them will stop us from having a good shot at the top end of the 2020 draft.

Yes I would sign them, especially with a new owner.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
With a good GM I'd welcome trading both of them for a great return (and I'm saying this as the biggest Stone fan there is). I'm really worried about the return we're going to get with PD at the helm.

Reactions: The Acccountant

The Acccountant

Feb 3, 2019
With a good GM I'd welcome trading both of them for a great return (and I'm saying this as the biggest Stone fan there is). I'm really worried about the return we're going to get with PD at the helm.

That’s my concern as well. It’s all great in theory but what can PD actually get.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Stone - absolutely. Heart and soul of the team.

Duchene - maybe, depending on the term and contract. He’s only going to decline

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Before I get destroyed on my first post (I’m a long time lurker) I want to preface this post with 1) I hate Melnyk and 2) Duchene is my favourite player on the team.

That being said, if you became GM with a new owner today would you actually sign these guys? Given the “potential” (big assumption given PD) returns and the fact we could get picks / prospects who will contribute at the time our young core is ready to compete I’m starting to think maybe we are better off trading them?

I don’t believe Stone / Duchene will be the same type of players when we are ready to push for the playoffs and to be honest I want a shot at Lafreniere / Byfield next year. The worst thing that could happen is we sign both and end up 10th last missing the playoffs and a shot at a young superstar.

Steer me right HF boards, am I drinking the cool-aid? What would you do?
Rebuilds take 2 to 3 years and they are already in the middle of one. Stone is 26 years old. Ill let you do the math.

Also even if they sign them if they go in to next season with that d core theyll be competing for first OA.

I personally would sign Stone and Dzingel and trade every player born prior to 1992. And Ceci id definitely trade Ceci.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
If we keep both S and D then we will def be better next year with Chabby in his 3rd season and brown and batherson coming up. Whitey already here with balcy and chlapy waiting to breakthrough. If Jaros turns into a beast and Lajoie improves over the summer (also if wolanin recovers from that dirty hit), we might just win a cup next year haha.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If in a couple years from now if we can be a bit above the mid way point of the cap, i'd sign them both. If not my preference would be keeping Duchene but i think Stone is more likely to sign. I don't think i'd keep dzingle regardless. He's due for a big pay day and i'd love to see him get it.,.somewhere else.

Reactions: Variable26

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Any team motivated by the best hockey decisions would sign both players.

Unfortunatley for Sens fans, we have an owner that has decided to implement a financially motivated firesale, so both will be moved.

To make matters worse, we have an incompetent GM dealing from a position of weakness, so the return will likely be disappointing, even with lowered expectations.

Reactions: billpo

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
It seems like ever since Duchene arrived on the team things went sour and the team has been trash since. And in Colorado, things started getting better as soon as he left. I'm not saying it's all his fault, I'm just saying we went from contender to bottom feeder in a very short time frame and it has never sat well with me.

I'd keep Stone and trade Duchene immediately.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It seems like ever since Duchene arrived on the team things went sour and the team has been trash since. And in Colorado, things started getting better as soon as he left. I'm not saying it's all his fault, I'm just saying we went from contender to bottom feeder in a very short time frame and it has never sat well with me.

I'd keep Stone and trade Duchene immediately.
The AVS have less points than the Sens since Dec 1.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If I was GM not only would I re-sign these two, but I'd also have a generational dman on the backend alongside one of the most exciting young dmen in Chabot. I'd also still have an additional 25 goal scorer around in either Hoffman or his trade return.

And dang, that wouldn't even take away from all the youth we have coming up!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

No return would be better than those two. None.

That is unless Dorion was on the other team you were negotiating with.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Look at where the sens finished the season before they acquired Duchene and after. Then look at the same for Colorado.
I have. Correlation doesn’t mean causation.

I was just pointing out that the AVS are falling apart and don’t have Duchene to blame this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad