Would you rather be drafted 1st OA by any team or 2nd OA by your favorite team?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
If it came down to it, everyone would rather be picked 1st overall. The "favorite" team thing is only a thing for HF and other fans.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It wouldn't make a difference for me to be taken 1st or 2nd overall, so if the options are a random team or a team I'd prefer for one reason or another, I'd pick the team I'd prefer. That doesn't even necessarily mean "favorite team", either.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I’m a Wings fan and Michigan Native but I would actually probably not like to play there until later in my career. Metro Detroit is nicer than people make it out to be, but it’s still boring compared to a lot more cities and fairly high taxes

Ya, cuz in Miami, NYC and LA no one knows who the hell you are.

In Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa...you're a rock star. Plus, guys play McDavid, Laine and Karlsson don't/didn't seem to mind being in those cities.
But then you have to have Canadian Taxes, Canadian Weather, and all around less fun.

Plus Miami and LA are probably two of the top 5 best cities in North America in terms of average attractiveness of their women.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The odds are that the First OA team is not well run. My favourite team is also not well run.

So either?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't think I'd ever want to play for my favourite team or hometown. Far too many people have their names dragged through the mud

SovietWings

Feb 1, 2017
Pardubice
I can barely skate so I would be a big bust if drafted earlier than in 10th round. So I don't want to be drafted by my favourite team and I would rather be terrible disappoitment in Edmonton, Arizona or Buffalo..:D

member 157595

The odds are that the First OA team is not well run. My favourite team is also not well run.

So either?
I feel like this is a bit short-sighted. Many successful teams in the past 15-20 years have been built on high picks and I know as a TO fan that persistent mediocrity usually gets you absolutely nowhere. Obviously high picks are no guarantee but it's not automatically a mark that a team is consistently a long-term mess.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I feel like this is a bit short-sighted. Many successful teams in the past 15-20 years have been built on high picks and I know as a TO fan that persistent mediocrity usually gets you absolutely nowhere. Obviously high picks are no guarantee but it's not automatically a mark that a team is consistently a long-term mess.

If I'm an upcoming young star in the league and a top-pick prospect, then my presence on any team is going to help them a lot. That's the important part. So all things being equal, I'd rather be picked by a team with competent management that can fill out the rest of the roster effectively.

In the end though, it doesn't matter if you go 1st OA or 2nd OA to your favourite team. If your favourite team is well run, then that's preferable. But if the idea is that successful teams are built on high picks then the team doesn't matter, I (as an upcoming young star and top pock) matter.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I remember when Matt Duchene was drafted 3rd overall by Colorado in 2009 he was happy that he didn't go 2nd overall to Tampa because growing up he was an Avalanche fan. So I think that's the closest example to this question.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Since none of us are professional athletes, you won't get any honest answers. Not because people are being deceitful. But because, for us, there's no way to know how we would act .. we aren't in that world. You forget .. #1 draft picks are groomed for years. Ones personality wouldn't be at all the same.

For me? Today? To have the talent and skill to he drafted AT ALL would be awesome let alone #1. So buffalo or Arizona could draft away. I'd be playing in the best league in the world so hell yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad