Would you rather be drafted 1st OA by any team or 2nd OA by your favorite team?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
My fav team would be my hometown team. But I would prefer not to play in my hometown team. So 1st overall

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I think that "favorite team" becomes academic once you're in the league. Guys might feel some nostalgia from their childhood for a certain club, but once you're in the league those things take a backseat to a lot of other stuff.
That said, if you're going top 2, it's to a team that sucks, so it may as well be the one you like (unless there's a massive contract disparity with taxes or bonuses for going 1st).

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
1st overall position I play is goaltender :p I'd be called an over-rated goalie and some other not so flattering things lol doesnt really change from the current lmao

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
No love for the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws I see.
I'll go #1 see what fate gives me. The minute I get drafted I'll have a new favorite team anyways.
And if it's Calgary I will bawl my eyes out but still play. Tank the games vs Edmonton of course.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Id go un-drafted for all i care to be drafted by my team (Flames). Draft position might be relevant for the summer right after the draft but everyone forgets after the puck drops.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Just be good and it won’t matter what pick you’re drafted, you’ll be known.

I’ll definitely take being drafted somewhere I’d want to be over the hollow victory of being drafted 1st overall. It’s an ultimately useless distinction, that has no actual real bearing on your success.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
2nd overall to the Rangers.

Even players from Canada and Russia want to play in MSG, so me being from the area its a no brainer.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
2nd overall. Way less pressure, go to my favourite team, and realistic chance of the team being a little better than the team picking first.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
2nd overall if I could choose to play for a team in a non-hockey market. I wanna be able to take a dump at the mall without having to sign autographs through the stall door.
Well at least you wouldn’t need a pen :buhdumtssshhh:

As for the OP, I honestly don’t know what I’d prefer, aside from how incredible it’d feel to be in that position. On one hand, 1stOA is King, but heavy is the head who wears the crown, and not everyone can handle it. Now, obviously if a team is taking you first overall, they probably suspect you can, but it’s not a guarantee. On the other hand, playing for the Sabres would be an absolute dream come true; imagine being the one who helps bring a cup to your city... But then again, if you bust, you’d be hated.

I’m gonna go with neither, and continue on with my sub 6 figure income while being an arm chair GM and not giving a f***.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
“Nobody remembers number two, boys. Nobody remembers number two.”

- Generational prospect Alexandre Daigle, shortly after being selected before Chris Pronger in 1993

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
2nd ainec. Never want to move from cali.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If I was good enough to go 1st or 2nd overall the teams I would be willing to go 1st overall to play for over my favorite team are as followed

Florida Panthers (my 2nd favorite team)

Arizona Coyotes (would want to help them become good and stop people talking about relocating them out of Arizona)

Outside of those two teams I would want to be drafted by my favorite team the Anaheim Ducks. Eventually if drafted by the Panthers or Coyotes I would sign with the Ducks as a free agent.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
1st overall by far.

You people are so limited in your thinking sometimes.

Someone should run the numbers on the average salary of 1st OA picks for the last 15 years to the 2nd overall pick

Being the best player is always best. It's not about ego it's about being better and likely having more success and money than not.

Nice job expressing your opinion without being a condescending clown.

Just FYI, some people value things like proximity to family and tradition in life more than money and conventional understandings of "success".

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
1st overall by far.

You people are so limited in your thinking sometimes.

Someone should run the numbers on the average salary of 1st OA picks for the last 15 years to the 2nd overall pick

Being the best player is always best. It's not about ego it's about being better and likely having more success and money than not.
How does being drafted one spot higher guarantee you are a better player in any way shape or form?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad