Would you rather be drafted 1st OA by any team or 2nd OA by your favorite team?

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
1st overall by far.

You people are so limited in your thinking sometimes.

Someone should run the numbers on the average salary of 1st OA picks for the last 15 years to the 2nd overall pick

Being the best player is always best. It's not about ego it's about being better and likely having more success and money than not.
I think in a lot of those cases you're comparing incomes sufficient to last 20 lifetimes to those sufficient to last 25-30 lifetimes.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
1st overall. This way I could move out of Edmonton and just come back to visit in the summers. The only way I'd want to go 2nd overall if it's another Canadian team drafting 1st.

member 157595

If I were an NHL player, playing for my favorite team (Toronto) wouldn't necessarily be the highest item on my priority list; I'd like to play there in theory but it's not all sunshine and roses. I love the city but I also like my privacy and don't like being recognized by people I don't know or attention whore reporters mining desperately for dirty laundry. However, I would say that many dominant athletes are used to that sort of thing and if I would have been a good enough hockey player as a teenager to warrant being picked at the top of the NHL entry draft in the first place, there's a very good chance I'd have a somewhat different personality in order to get to that point.

Playing for any team in the NHL is obviously far better than no team at all. That said, if I'm good enough to warrant a #1 pick in the draft there definitely are a handful of franchises I'd want to avoid now and forever.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
2nd overall to the Islanders. Wouldn’t even have to move. ( would buy a better house in the same town) lol

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Sorry forgot to mention, you don’t get to choose the exact team you’re drafted or else everyone will say their home town.

1st overall

Or

2OV in a team wich you prefer to the 1st
Being from Victoria, I most certainly wouldn't choose the team closest to my birthplace. And I wouldn't choose Ottawa either. So that stipulation doesn't affect me, if I'm understanding you correctly. I don't think you mean to say you don't get to choose, else why say your favourite team?

So I'd probably say #2 overall. I'd love to play for the Sharks. Classy organization and a relatively successful and competitive one. Seemingly good locker room.

member 157595

Being from Victoria, I most certainly wouldn't choose the team closest to my birthplace. And I wouldn't choose Ottawa either. So that stipulation doesn't affect me.

So I'd probably say #2 overall. I'd love to play for the Sharks. Classy organization and a relatively successful and competitive one. Seemingly good locker room.

Not a Sharks fan but they'd be very high on my list of places to play if I were a NHL player. If money is no object for you the Bay Area is just spectacular, they're a well-run organization that is usually competitive, they are unafraid to pay their core players, etc...there's a lot to like there.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
2nd

Big difference being a milionaire in Miami, NYC , LA from 18-25 years old than being a milionaire in edmonton/winnipeg/ottawa
Why do so many people think that EVERYONE wants to live in massive cities? I love visiting big cities, but sure as hell don't want to live in one. Ottawa is a fine size city for my tastes, though I'd rather a Montreal or Vancouver. No way in hell I'd ever consider any of those three you mentioned. I'd sooner choose Nashville, Boston, Seattle, etc.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
1st overall by far.

Someone should run the numbers on the average salary of 1st OA picks for the last 15 years to the 2nd overall pick

Being the best player is always best. It's not about ego it's about being better and likely having more success and money than not.

Damn so if Zetterberg or Datsyuk went 1st overall their salaries would have been in the 100's of million per year?

Reactions: Still Mighty

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not a Sharks fan but they'd be very high on my list of places to play if I were a NHL player. If money is no object for you the Bay Area is just spectacular, they're a well-run organization that is usually competitive, they are unafraid to pay their core players, etc...there's a lot to like there.
Totally agree. Maybe it's not the perfect organization, but it's good. I'm pretty confident in the head office, scouting staff, coaches, and players.

member 157595

Totally agree. Maybe it's not the perfect organization, but it's good. I'm pretty confident in the head office, scouting staff, coaches, and players.

I absolutely love that part of California. If you've got the money (that is, if you have a shit load of money) it's hard to beat. The Sharks are pretty well-run and they're not afraid to pay to keep the guys they want to keep. Good organization.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
2nd overall if I could choose to play for a team in a non-hockey market. I wanna be able to take a dump at the mall without having to sign autographs through the stall door.

Reactions: OmniCube

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Why do so many people think that EVERYONE wants to live in massive cities? I love visiting big cities, but sure as hell don't want to live in one. Ottawa is a fine size city for my tastes, though I'd rather a Montreal or Vancouver. No way in hell I'd ever consider any of those three you mentioned. I'd sooner choose Nashville, Boston, Seattle, etc.
The first question was first overall or a city you liked so the city you like could vary by own preference

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
1st overall by far.

Top three picks normally get the same bonus structures for their first contract . And future salary would depend on who is actually better

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
There are a handful of teams that I would rather not play for, if given the choice. Just don't think I could ever bring myself to wear a Red Wings jersey.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
2nd overall and the sharks.

There litterally is bare minimum of a difference between 1st and 2nd overall.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Damn so if Zetterberg or Datsyuk went 1st overall their salaries would have been in the 100's of million per year?

He's right to an extent. If Matthews was a 20th overall pick, and got the 40 goals, he probably would get a million or two lesson that what he will be getting.

That 1st overall comes with a franchise tag, so the expectations are much higher for the player going forward. Whereas the 20th overall is more like, okay, he might be peaking here. Kind of an extreme example, but there is benefits for being a first overall that produces 80 points over a 20th overall that produces 80 points.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
It doesn't matter where you are drafted. All that matters is what you do after that.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I would get drafted 2nd OA by my favorite team but would only show 1 finger during the usual top 3 picks photo

Reactions: A91

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
1st overall by far.

Eh, it depends. I mean, you have a point, but as a Swede I've watched both OEL and Karlsson waste most of their careers (or at least most of their prime) on no-hope teams and if I was Dahlin I wouldn't be keen on jumping on that same boat. If I could trade risking a slighly lower salary for a lesser risk of that happening by avoiding Buffalo, I wouldn't even hesitate.

If 1st overall meant New Jersey or Toronto I'd go with that though despite not caring about either of those teams one way or another.

If I had to make the choice before I had any clue on who #1 would be, then it would be hard but I still might go with the safety option even though I'd almost always prefer going first. I just really, really wouldn't want to be OELsson'd.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If I was drafted 2nd overall by the Habs many moons ago I would have been ecstatic. Heck I'd take being 3-4-5th by the Habs over any other team.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

Traffic in Seattle is as bad or even worse than L.A. traffic

Reactions: Still Mighty

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Except when the playoffs hit lol

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'd gladly get drafted 211 overall and play one shift If it could be for the leafs. Other teams/cities I would like to play for would be rangers, penguins, predators, wild, hawks, and sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad