Would you rather be drafted 1st OA by any team or 2nd OA by your favorite team?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
it’s no lie, professional athletes have pretty big ego and are proud, being drafted 1st over all is something prestigious!

My question is, If you were an upcoming young star in this league, would you rather have the prestige of being drafted 1st overall and let the team that drafted you grow on you or would you rather be drafted 2nd overall but by a team you like?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yeah I'd rather be a #2 OV pick for the Rangers. Playing in a rink where I can drive 25 minutes to my house would be ideal
Sorry forgot to mention, you don’t get to choose the exact team you’re drafted or else everyone will say their home town.

1st overall

Or

2OV in a team wich you prefer to the 1st

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
2nd

Big difference being a milionaire in Miami, NYC , LA from 18-25 years old than being a milionaire in edmonton/winnipeg/ottawa
Ya, cuz in Miami, NYC and LA no one knows who the hell you are.

In Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa...you're a rock star. Plus, guys play McDavid, Laine and Karlsson don't/didn't seem to mind being in those cities.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
it’s no lie, professional athletes have pretty big ego and are proud, being drafted 1st over all is something prestigious!

My question is, If you were an upcoming young star in this league, would you rather have the prestige of being drafted 1st overall and let the team that drafted you grow on you or would you rather be drafted 2nd overall but by a team you like?
Leafs could’ve picked me last for all I cared.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ya, cuz in Miami, NYC and LA no one knows who the hell you are.

In Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa...you're a rock star. Plus, guys play McDavid, Laine and Karlsson don't/didn't seem to mind being in those cities.

I'm sure it's fine for some, but I have no interest in being a rock star.

I'd love to play in a market where I can be a star at the rink and then go home and just be me.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Other than the Canucks, the city and the management of the team are more important to me than the team itself. I would rather live in an enjoyable city and play for a well-run organization than have some sort of previous attachment to the team. And even with the Canucks, while family and friends are nice I think it would be a good experience to live elsewhere anyway, and just come back for the summer. If that's included in the idea of a preferred team though then definitely 2nd overall. I think you have to have a serious ego issue if being 1st overall is more important to you than the quality of your experience after being drafted.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
If you are in consideration for being selected top 5 in the NHL I doubt "childhood favourite team" would be a huge factor in preference. More likely you would be looking a teams situation.

For example this year I would rather be drafted by Buffalo than Montreal, even if Montreal was my favourite team,because I think Buffalo is going to be better faster.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Second by the team I like. Prove youre better anyways and get to play in a place you wanted to play for.

I cant see many people picking 1st

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Better question would be picked first by team you don't like and get Max bonuses so three million ish or get picked second with min pay for the team you like top three all get basically the same bonus structure but I think that's a better question

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
1st overall by far.

You people are so limited in your thinking sometimes.

Someone should run the numbers on the average salary of 1st OA picks for the last 15 years to the 2nd overall pick

Being the best player is always best. It's not about ego it's about being better and likely having more success and money than not.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It depends who has the first overall pick and who that management of that franchise consists of. But we'll say it's Arizona as it's the worst team in the league and know how poorly managed they are, and I'll just say 2OA by the Jets.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
1st overall by far.

You people are so limited in your thinking sometimes.

Someone should run the numbers on the average salary of 1st OA picks for the last 15 years to the 2nd overall pick

Being the best player is always best. It's not about ego it's about being better and likely having more success and money than not.

The OP didn't seem to imply that there was a difference in your ability depending on your pick, just that you're a top 2 prospect who could go either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00