Speculation: Would you move Boqvist as a centerpiece in an Ekblad trade?

Would you be okay using Boqvist as the centerpiece to a hypothetical Ekblad trade?

• Total voters

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Cat has little value because of his contract. Another blunder by Stan. Even if Cat bounces back from this season, is he going to be worth the $10 million it will take to qualify him? Even if he scores 30-40 goals a season over the next 3 years, I doubt he’s worth qualifying with the cap situation going forward.

If he scores near 100 or over a 100 goal score the next 3 years in what way is that a blunder by Stan? Because of QO?

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Absolutely not but I'm higher on Boqvist than most. And Ekblad's injury and multiple concussion history isn't ideal.

Are you talking about Bovqvist's multiple concussions? I'ld be more concerned about the guy that is 20, 5'10, and 175 with his bell rung a few times already.

To the original question, absolutely yes if you can make the money work. Ekblad is what you hope Boqvist can develop into the zip code of in a few years. Maybe Bovqvist, Strome, and Shaw for Ekblad, Acciari and a middle round pick?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Are you talking about Bovqvist's multiple concussions? I'ld be more concerned about the guy that is 20, 5'10, and 175 with his bell rung a few times already.

Ekblad has had twice as many concussions as Boqvist not to mention 2 more surgeries on his body. Just because you are bigger doesn't mean you are less susceptible to injuries especially in a league where speed and skill is more prevalent.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Ekblad has had twice as many concussions as Boqvist not to mention 2 more surgeries on his body. Just because you are bigger doesn't mean you are less susceptible to injuries especially in a league where speed and skill is more prevalent.

Not sure what your point is. Ekblad has played 5.5 years worth more NHL hockey. I'm guessing 5.5 years from now, Bovqvist might have a couple surgeries and few more bells rung too. And not just because he is smaller, but also because he has had multiple bell ringings playing against boys before he even reached pro hockey.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
And not just because he is smaller, but also because he has had multiple bell ringings playing against boys before he even reached pro hockey.

SHL is a boys league? News to me (since you mentioned "multiple bell ringings playing against boys").

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
This.

Ekblad would help the team, but not at his current cap hit. If Florida eats salary and we get him for 5, then I say yes.
Murphy makes almost 4, and people love him, yet Ekblad is twice the Dman as him. Him at 5 is an absolute steal, and we'd have to give up a hell of a lot more than Boqvist and some middling Dman like Maatta.

Reactions: TheDachKnight

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
If he scores near 100 or over a 100 goal score the next 3 years in what way is that a blunder by Stan? Because of QO?
Do you think he will be worth $10 million a year if he averages 30-35 goals a season over the next 3 years? Because the hawks have to start at that number if they want to resign him. What team is going to trade for him with that number to resign?

I’m not saying he is not a good player. It’s just that Stan has forced himself to potentially over pay (again), let him walk, or not get full value for cat in a trade.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Do you think he will be worth $10 million a year if he averages 30-35 goals a season over the next 3 years? Because the hawks have to start at that number if they want to resign him. What team is going to trade for him with that number to resign?

I’m not saying he is not a good player. It’s just that Stan has forced himself to potentially over pay (again), let him walk, or not get full value for cat in a trade.

They don’t. You can negotiate with him as an unrestricted free agent. There’s no rule that says you must qualify him, or start at the number it would take to qualify him.

If he falls short of expectations, it makes no sense to qualify him.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
People act like QOs are be all end all. It’s most likely Cat and the Hawks work out a deal before it even matters. Especially with the new circumstances with the flat cap. If the cap went up like it was supposed to do 10M for him would be nothing in 3 years when he’s due for extension.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

No but putting up 100 goals over the next 3 years means he’s doing something well.
It was a fair deal for cat and the hawks coming off a 41 goal season. Let’s not get crazy because of Stan’s past failures with cats extension. No one saw covid coming when it was signed. No Monday morning qbing

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Cat had the 2nd most goals in the 2016 draft behind only Auston Matthews...He earned that contract, but last year was a down year no doubt...People loved that cap hit and it can still be a fair deal

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Cat had the 2nd most goals in the 2016 draft behind only Auston Matthews...He earned that contract, but last year was a down year no doubt...People loved that cap hit and it can still be a fair deal

legally his shooting has to drop again to %5 rather go back up to 12-15% while Laine’s goes back to 18%-20%

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
For Ekblad I would give

2 big contract, Keith, Maatta, CDH, Murphy or Saad.
+
1 Prospect, Boqvist, Mitchell, Nylander, Strome or AHL(Kurashev...)
+
1st or 2nd pick

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
If the flat cap is here for the forseeable future, then keeping younger and more importantly CHEAPER players will become paramont. Right now, only trades I would make is contract for contract. I'll would hold onto prospects/young NHL players on cheap contracts.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Wrong.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
For Ekblad I would give

2 big contract, Keith, Maatta, CDH, Murphy or Saad.
+
1 Prospect, Boqvist, Mitchell, Nylander, Strome or AHL(Kurashev...)
+
1st or 2nd pick

You’re not getting Florida to take TWO big contracts. (Maybe not even one)

And it would be Boqvist and 17. (Which I wouldn’t do)

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
I was wrong on the $10 million, but they need to qualify him based on actual salary of the last year which is $9 million. They could not qualify him and make him a ufa and then negotiate a contract but he is open to signing with any other team. Or the hawks could go to arbitration and seek a lower salary.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I would be fine moving Mitchell + in a deal for a defender signed longterm
giphy-downsized-large.gif

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I was wrong on the $10 million, but they need to qualify him based on actual salary of the last year which is $9 million. They could not qualify him and make him a ufa and then negotiate a contract but he is open to signing with any other team. Or the hawks could go to arbitration and seek a lower salary.

You keep saying they “need to” give him that qualifying offer. No.

You negotiate a contract with him in the final year of the deal. If he’s being unreasonable and wants to start with the QO number even though the production doesn’t warrant it, you trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00