Speculation: Would you move Boqvist as a centerpiece in an Ekblad trade?

Would you be okay using Boqvist as the centerpiece to a hypothetical Ekblad trade?

• Total voters

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
You’re not getting Florida to take TWO big contracts. (Maybe not even one)

And it would be Boqvist and 17. (Which I wouldn’t do)
If they don't take two big contracts then we don't have space for Ekblad.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Boquist is going to take several seasons to develop. Don't pass on the chance for a 1st pair type on a reasonable cap hit while you're still trying to cash in on Toews and Kane.

Mitchell and Boquist on the right side might compound the growing pains for the d group like we saw coming out of the lockout too. I'll take the high floor over high ceiling in this case.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I think he's a fine player, but someone that people still value based on draft position.

I wouldn’t want him as our #1 defenseman. Top pairing guy, sure.... but you better have an incredible offense and incredible defensive forwards if he’s the top defenseman on your team.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Boquist is going to take several seasons to develop. Don't pass on the chance for a 1st pair type on a reasonable cap hit while you're still trying to cash in on Toews and Kane.

Mitchell and Boquist on the right side might compound the growing pains for the d group like we saw coming out of the lockout too. I'll take the high floor over high ceiling in this case.

By the time either Bovqvist or Mitchell are any where near what Ekblad is currently, both will be done with their ELC. Judging by the 2nd deals of McAvoy, Jones, Werenski, Reily, Pietrangelo, Parayko, and Theodore, should either Boqvist or Mitchell develope into anything resmbling any of those guys (which is the hope in the nexy year or more likely two) they'll be getting 5-6 per on their second deal depending on the length they agree too. Further, while you are waiting and going through the growing pains of Boqvist/Mitchell developing....Kane, Toews, and anything still left in Keith's tank will be closer to empty

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Panthers fan coming in peace

(A) The rumors about the trade comes from an interview where he said he would listen offers to anyone...but is unlikely to trade the big 3.
(B) I think you need to consider the Panther's position: Ekblad is our only legitimate top pair defenseman signed to a great deal and really looking up after a great season. I don't think we would be interested in a package offer unless we're rebuilding...which we're not. (Remember Ekblad has a reasonable 5 year contract and is happy here)
(C) Boqvist looks great, but an Ekblad trade needs to improve us today and tomorrow. Package deals don't make sense for us. I don't necessarily see the pieces for a trade with many teams; maybe like two legitimate 2D...
(D) I think the best comparison for Ekblad is a better Seabrook who is asked to be a number one. If it wasn't for his skating, I'd say Ekblad is projecting to be a top 5 D :)

If you have any questions, ask

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i definitely would if you could figure out how to balance the cap. ekblad is only 24 years old.

Boqvist, Good Prospect or Pick, Shaw, Smith for Ekblad -- i cant figure out how to balance it.

Keith-Ekblad
DeHaan-Murphy
Maatta-Mitchell
Koekkoek

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I don’t know about acquiring Elblad in the first place. Just doesn’t really fit the timeline for the team. He would be a piece you would add to fill out a blue line that was almost there

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
in 2018 and 2019 I would have had no problem trading their top 10 picks for established defenders in order to extend the window with Toews and Kane.

I have no idea if the #8 and #3 could have returned players good enough to pull it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drumman44

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don’t know about far but that’s a weird line in the sand to draw.
I brought Murphy in to it because someone said Ekblad would only be good if he was making 5mil. Murphy makes 4, people love him and say he is good defensively, yet Ekblad is a way better dman all around than Murphy, he is worth far more than 5mil.

If people think Murphy is good defensively, then they should think Ekblad is amazing.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Ekblad is on a 7.5m contract. Why would you give up the farm for him when for the same cap + caggiulas salary you could sign pietrangelo? This idea doesn’t move us to a contending position in my opinion

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Panthers fan coming in peace

(A) The rumors about the trade comes from an interview where he said he would listen offers to anyone...but is unlikely to trade the big 3.
(B) I think you need to consider the Panther's position: Ekblad is our only legitimate top pair defenseman signed to a great deal and really looking up after a great season. I don't think we would be interested in a package offer unless we're rebuilding...which we're not. (Remember Ekblad has a reasonable 5 year contract and is happy here)
(C) Boqvist looks great, but an Ekblad trade needs to improve us today and tomorrow. Package deals don't make sense for us. I don't necessarily see the pieces for a trade with many teams; maybe like two legitimate 2D...
(D) I think the best comparison for Ekblad is a better Seabrook who is asked to be a number one. If it wasn't for his skating, I'd say Ekblad is projecting to be a top 5 D :)

If you have any questions, ask
Quick question: what are the Blackhawks' plans? Are you trying to retool with the current core?

Last season, Florida fans thought that we could have given futures for Keith as it looked like the Blackhawks were retooling over the next few seasons. Did this change? Was that belief wrong?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Quick question: what are the Blackhawks' plans? Are you trying to retool with the current core?

Last season, Florida fans thought that we could have given futures for Keith as it looked like the Blackhawks were retooling over the next few seasons. Did this change? Was that belief wrong?
Nobody has any idea what they're doing.
If you ask me, they're rebuilding in every way except trading Toews, Kane and Keith. My guess is that either none are willing to waive their NMC, or they didn't like what they're hearing.

If it wasn't for the Seabrook contract fiasco, they'd be able to attempt to compete. Nearly $7M of dead cap is killer, and if they buy out Smith and Maatta that would go up to $10M for the next 2 years.

They're stuck in no man's land. the big 3(Kane/Toews/Keith) are probably too old and expensive to return anything decent. The next few years are going to be bad, but we'll take our three cups. Most would have made that trade off. They're paying the price for all of their success from 2009-17.

Reactions: violaswallet

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ekblad is on a 7.5m contract. Why would you give up the farm for him when for the same cap + caggiulas salary you could sign pietrangelo? This idea doesn’t move us to a contending position in my opinion
Pietrangelo isn't much better if at all, than Ekblad. Ekblad is younger, cheaper, and a guy like Cagguila over a league min bum is a guy we need more of, not less.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Nobody has any idea what they're doing.
If you ask me, they're rebuilding in every way except trading Toews, Kane and Keith. My guess is that either none are willing to waive their NMC, or they didn't like what they're hearing.

If it wasn't for the Seabrook contract fiasco, they'd be able to attempt to compete. Nearly $7M of dead cap is killer, and if they buy out Smith and Maatta that would go up to $10M for the next 2 years.

They're stuck in no man's land. the big 3(Kane/Toews/Keith) are probably too old and expensive to return anything decent. The next few years are going to be bad, but we'll take our three cups. Most would have made that trade off. They're paying the price for all of their success from 2009-17.
Makes sense: I can understand the pain of trying to retool with a big 3 (although ours is quite less accomplished than yours) Good luck with it :)

To be honest, I think Keith could retain a good prospect and picks after his good playoffs, I was super impressed!

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Just a retool as of now. Last offseason they made trades & signings (De Hann, maatta, Shaw and lehner) to get back into the playoffs. Only with covid did they have a chance with that.
So like bwk said nobody knows what the course of action is.
As far as Keith unless he requests a trade I’m not sure they would ask him to move on. But agreed he can return a decent package.

Reactions: violaswallet

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah easy no for me.

Boqvist AND Cat? Hell no.

I still really like Boqvist. He’s not a #1, but I absolutely believe that he’ll be a very dynamic offensive D. We haven’t even come close to seeing Boqvist at his best offensively. Not even close.

I know I’m higher on him than many hawks fans, but I think he could have Brent Burns type offensive stats at some point in his career.
That's a crazy overpayment, I agree.

I like Boqvist, but don't see any point per game seasons. I could see 55+ through his prime, even some 60-70 point years. Hopefully he can turn into an elite two way D. I'm no Hawks fan, but Boqvist has a lot to like a hockey fan.

Reactions: HawksDub89

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
That's a crazy overpayment, I agree.

I like Boqvist, but don't see any point per game seasons. I could see 55+ through his prime, even some 60-70 point years. Hopefully he can turn into an elite two way D. I'm no Hawks fan, but Boqvist has a lot to like a hockey fan.

Yeah probably not ppg. But I could see a 65 point season or two.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah probably not ppg. But I could see a 65 point season or two.
He's got the perfect skillset for the modern NHL and seems to be a smart player. I don't follow him enough to know about his work ethic, but if he's smart enough off ice and dedicated, he could be a great two way guy like Keith was in his prime. Obviously a different style, but similar attributes.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think Petro is significantly better than Ekblad. Ekblad is close to Murphy with much better offense. Just my opinion.
I stick to my original statement that Ekblad is far better defensively than Murphy, too. Ekblad is better defensively than Petro too. Ekblad is closer to being in the upper echelon of Dman than he is to Murphys level.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I’d be fine either way. Big fan of Ekblad and I value him higher than most. Having said that, I’m perfectly content keeping DeBrincat, Strome, and Boqvist as all have potential to be really good players for us. I think something around Strome+ for Hanifin+ is far more realistic and still upgrades our D both now and in the future.

Another thing to think about is Boqvist+ for Sergachev. I suggested that and Strome for Dumba. Not sure how realistic that Dumba trade is but Minnesota wants a top-6 C for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad