Would you like to see the shootout dropped and ties brought back?

Would you like to see the shootout dropped and ties brought back?

• Yes

Votes: 126 42.4%
  • No

Votes: 158 53.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 13 4.4%

• Total voters

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Simple question. I would. I know it will never happen as the shootouts gets fans out of their seats. But bring back ties.
No ties, but 10min of 3 on 3 OT the the possibility of a SO. With 10mins of OT I’d say we would only see 3-4 so a year

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Yes, but more importantly get rid of the loser point. The league instituted it to keep teams in the playoff hunt as deep into the season as possible. It's pathetic.

Keep the 3-on-3. If you end that 5 minutes tied, each team gets a point. If one team scores, they get two and the other gets none. Pretty simple. Three points for a win makes about as much sense as trying to sell 2+2=5.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
3 point system
3pts regulation win
2pts ot win
1pt ot/shootout loss
no stop giving free points to the losing team, if you didn't win, you shouldn't get points.

make mediocre play look mediocre in the standings

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I also like the 3 points per game system.

Having some games worth 2 and some 3 is stupid and unfair. It encourages teams to play it safe the last 10 minutes of tie games.

I also disagree with teams getting 0 points in OT or shootout loss, as 3 on 3 and shootouts are artificial situations that are not real hockey.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
Just do indefinite 3vs3. The Broadcasters don’t want games going too late, but the odd games that still make it to a shootout take longer to finish than just continuing OT would. And shootouts can go a dozen rounds too. OT is way more entertaining and way more true to the game in my opinion. And if some game did go on forever wouldn’t that be a spectacle that’s good for the game?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd rather ties as they reflect what happened more than a random shootout after play stops does. Not a big deal to me either way though as long as there aren't shootouts in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Continuous 5X5 overtime until a player scores.
Just like it's done in the playoffs.

Let the coaches and teams decide the winner as circumstances dictate.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Ideally, yeah, but mostly remove the loser point (or go to a three point system).

Either a shootout is a legitimate way to decide a game and it should just be 2-0 or it's not an we should get rid of it. Loser point is fraud as HELL.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm done with the shootout but I still think it's thev lesser of two evils over ties.

I would like to see them play 3v3 until somebody wins.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Somebody once proposed an overtime system similar to baseball or college football where the teams take turns with 5v3 powerplays for a set time, and the team with most goals after both teams have gone wins.

It would be fun at the very least.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Emphatic yes for ties. Lets say you keep the current system. If after 5 minutes of 3 on 3 ot and then 3 shooters aside in the shootout no team has managed to win the game, neither team deserves to win. Just be better.

If it's an either/or, I choose ties over shootouts.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Ties for one point make total sense.

Somebody once proposed an overtime system similar to baseball or college football where the teams take turns with 5v3 powerplays for a set time, and the team with most goals after both teams have gone wins.

Fun and dumb. Emphasis on the dumb.

Reactions: Machinehead

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
It wasn’t just that games tied. It was the excessive number of them and the fact that coaches didn’t mind a tie so the gameplay in OT was akin to paint drying.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Should just be 2 points for a win and nothing for a loss. Period.

Getting to overtime shouldn't be rewarded with points.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Injuries and travel windows make this inadvisable. There could also be CBA issues if you have a very long OT on the first night of a back-to-back.
There shouldn't be very long OT on the first night of a back-to-back or up against travel windows...because the coaching and players should adjust strategies to bring the game to closure sooner rather than later. Play aggressively, take chances, prioritize offense and the games will end quickly enough.

The odd time two teams meet up and neither is situationally-restricted and both want to play a marathon defensive game, let them.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Would the points count for skaters and the goals against count for goalie stats?

I can't see the problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad