Would you like to see the shootout dropped and ties brought back?

Would you like to see the shootout dropped and ties brought back?

• Yes

Votes: 126 42.4%
  • No

Votes: 158 53.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 13 4.4%

• Total voters

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Personally, no. I don't mind ties in itself, but makes tracking things for betting a lot more simple to have the players sent home as winners or losers.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Salvage the shootout. Get rid of the stupid rounds and make it less gimmicky. Format it like a tennis tiebreaker. 1 attempt followed by 2 attempts repeated until a team wins by 2 goals.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It'll never happen, or at least under Bettman's watch, but give me a tie over a shootout any day of the week.

I don't need to see a winner in every game. I'd rather a hard-fought 65-minute game end up in a tie with each walking away with a point than having one of the two teams gain an extra point in the standings off a penalty shot competition.

Even more is that I have always thought being to able win that extra point after just two shooters was the worst mistake. A great game ending just like that. The least they could have done was make it five shooters, requiring at least three rounds to win the game. That'd give it more credence.

Reactions: byrath

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
Collecting shootout wins creates the illusion that a team is actually better than what it really is.

Reactions: Lshap

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I miss the days of the 20 minutes overtime period
Only time that’s happened is in sudden death playoffs, never in regular season history.

No, hate ties.

To keep point system similar to past years would like this.

2 points regulation win
1.5 points OT/ SO win
0.5 points OT/ SO loss.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I feel the people who voted to bring back a tie have never sat through many 1-1 or 0-0 games.
That's still the case. Plenty of games still end in a low-scoring tie. The only difference is we now get an extra staged competition designed to give one team the W, along with an added point.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
If the NHL doesn't want ties, every game should be worth the same number of points. Since the standings are used to determine which teams qualify for the playoffs (and how they're seeded), the points should be awarded based on how closely the win resembles playoff hockey:

- Regulation win: 5 points
- Overtime win: 4 points
- Shootout win: 3 points
- Shootout loss: 2 points
- Overtime loss: 1 point
- Regulation loss: 0 points

Every game is now worth 5 points, and the closer the outcome is to playoff hockey, the more points are awarded.

It's true that the standings would no longer be directly comparable to previous years, but you could always look at points percentage. (Or you can cut the points in half - so 2.5 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win, etc).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad