Would you keep Lucic beyond next season if it took 6-7 years at $6-7 million per?

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
obviously not

he's not really worth that now and in 3-4 years it'll be even more obvious.

He has a year on his contract, so chances are there'll be some sucker team out there that still overvalues physicality and he could get a decent return

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Nope.

At this point he brings nothing unique to the table and is a dime a dozen 2nd liner.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
50 points is 1st line scoring in this day and age, and Lucic is closer to a 60 point guy plus the extra physicalness.

And that 1st line production is with him floating through portions of every year. His beast mode is elite first line talent.

I think someone will 10000% sign him to a contract that size or more.

So he is worth that contract. The question is whether or not you want Lucic to be the guy using up the highest paid winger portion of your budget. And if not Lucic, who?

I would see what I could get for him before the draft. I would not let him walk for nothing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Again, all in for Hall.

Hall+Pasta could be deadly for years.
Suddenly our situation would be much better, right now we don't have the elite under 25 players.

Hamilton+Pasta+Hall+Spooner+Krug+1st 2015+Rask+Subban.
That's strong.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Lol dude you have made this exact post about 50 times this year, we get it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Again, all in for Hall.

Suddenly our situation would be much better, right now we don't have the elite under 25 players.

That's strong.

Who are you going to have fill in for Hall when he misses his 15-20 games per year? :laugh:

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
no one wants him to walk for free, I think

does he have an NTC (probably)

the thing is, Lucic or at least his agent will know that this is the year where he can score a big, long term deal. So I don't think he'll sign another three year one, or he'd cost himself a ton of money. I'd honestly rather let someone else sign him for 7/40+, so shop him

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I wouldn't want to go as high as 7x7 but you gotta resign him. Even if it doesn't work out in the next few years, there are teams out there that would move valuable assets for even a 7 million dollar Lucic.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Nope.

At this point he brings nothing unique to the table and is a dime a dozen 2nd liner.

This just isn't true. The year, without Krejci for all but 30 odd games, he has produced at a high end 2nd liner rate (99th in points + 8th in hits). Obviously, his style of play means he needs to play with someone with skill to do the heavy puck possession lifting. Playing with guys like Kelly has really hurt his stat line.

With Krejci he has consistently been a guy who finished around 50th in scoring in addition to being a top 10 hits guy.

Just can't see how anyone could think a top 50 point getter who also adds top 10 physicality isn't a 1st liner. Unless you only think there are a couple dozen true 1st liners in the league for the 30 teams to fight over.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
This just isn't true. The year, without Krejci for all but 30 odd games, he has produced at a high end 2nd liner rate (99th in points + 8th in hits). Obviously, his style of play means he needs to play with someone with skill to do the heavy puck possession lifting. Playing with guys like Kelly has really hurt his stat line.

With Krejci he has consistently been a guy who finished around 50th in scoring in addition to being a top 10 hits guy.

Just can't see how anyone could think a top 50 point getter who also adds top 10 physicality isn't a 1st liner. Unless you only think there are a couple dozen true 1st liners in the league for the 30 teams to fight over.

Most 1st liners give their all and aren't lazy half the time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who are you going to have fill in for Hall when he misses his 15-20 games per year? :laugh:

I take 60 games of hall rather than 82 games of lucic.
You never know with injuries, he might play 400 straight games or 40 games a season.

He's young, great skater, elite lw, something our team badly needs.

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
Again, all in for Hall.

That's strong.

I really haven't seen anything special about Hall. He seems to be brittle so far in his NHL career.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't have a problem with the cash. 6-7 mil per is the going rate for a player his caliber.

But I can't justify giving a player his age who plays the physical style he does a 5-6-7-8 year contract.

If he wants to re-sign at 3-4 years at 6-7 mil per I'm all for it.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'd find a spot for this guy. He's in rarefied air. Put the right team around him, and watch the results. Now, if you can get Taylor Hall....another story.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA

It's funny but in a backwards way I think that could actually be a good thing for this team. Claude gets hung up on playing his guys and will generally stick with them through thick and thin, even when it's clearly not in the best interest for the team/franchise (see Whitfield, Trent). For a short stretch, I think the Caron's of the world are okay fill-ins. But for 20+ games?

A top line player being injured for a decent stretch almost yearly would probably force Claude to use some of our Providence talent more often, and we've all seen what that's done this year with Spooner filling in for Krejci. As long as we could get Hall healthy for the playoffs, I think that could actually benefit the team.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
mentioned this before, but there is nobody to give Lucic's money to at the wing. Whoever that winger is, we gotta draft him.

Btw not sure about Dom's idea of Lucic to Edmonton. Not only would Lucic not want to go there, but Oilers fans seem to think there's zero chance of their GM doing it.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
mentioned this before, but there is nobody to give Lucic's money to at the wing. Whoever that winger is, we gotta draft him.

Btw not sure about Dom's idea of Lucic to Edmonton. Not only would Lucic not want to go there, but Oilers fans seem to think there's zero chance of their GM doing it.

Lucic is from Vancouver.Goin there puts him quick flights from home.Don't bet on it.I would trade him for Hall in heartbeat.Oilers not that dumb though.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
In the last 10 days he is about 3rd or 4th in the league in hits. He can't expect $$ if he doesn't bring anything on a consistent basis.

It's our job to cry murder when he doesn't. He only proves that he is over paid when he is not pooling his talents together.

Players should get paid for what they do not for what they can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad