Would you keep Lucic beyond next season if it took 6-7 years at $6-7 million per?

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
5 years, $25 million.

He's been paid ELITE money his whole ****ing career. It's time for the "hometown" discount. If he balks, I flip him to a Western team in an instant.

If he waffles, I flip him.

I don't give him one red cent more.

This....dude doesn't need another 2 more mil a year....Either produce like your paid to, take your hometown discount or GTFO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
3rd option should have been how long would a thread pop up about the need for a "Lucic-type" if/when Milan got moved:)

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Not a chance in hell. I'd offer 4 years, $22-23m. I think Chiarelli WILL offer more, and a NTC of course, but it will instantly be a terrible deal for the franchise.

To me though, this isn't a question of what he's worth in a vacuum. His pending contract presents an opportunity to change the dynamic of a stagnant team. They lack skill, speed and finish. Do you really want to commit big money to yet another player who doesn't excel in any of those categories? His combo of inconsistent physical play and decent scoring makes him worth a fair amount, but not 6+.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
he has 4 minors in the past THIRTY SIX games.

This Lucic sucks. He's not worth any more than Foligno got at this point. Charelli screwed the pooch on Looch's deal. Too short for that kind of money.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

This Lucic sucks. He's not worth any more than Foligno got at this point. Charelli screwed the pooch on Looch's deal. Too short for that kind of money.

I know we go back and forth ripping these guys for their transgressions, including being invisible and or more trouble than they're worth, but I'd have a really hard time choosing between Lucic and Marchand. Both are maddening at times. Both would be very hard to replace. But when it comes down to assessing value, I'd have them pretty close. So if Marchand is at 4.5 now, Lucic should be in the ballpark. $6m was too high for him, and would still be too high for him next time around.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

Couldn't agree more. $6M a year is a way overpayment for what Lucic brings to the table. Lets face it when was the last time Lucic changed or took over a game? Been a loooooong time. There was a pre-contract Looch and a post-contract Looch. Lucic is a $4m a year max player.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Trade him. Whoever resigns/signs him for 7x7 is going to regret it for atleast 5 years.

Give that type of money to Lucic and we can kiss any chance of a rebuild goodbye.

As to the people who said the fans will start searching for a new Lucic type -- Yes, we could do that after Lucic gets traded. Searching for a young and hungry version of Lucic is no bad thing. The old complacent one sucks.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
As much as I like Lucic he is just not worth the money, his physicality is only used on occasion and that is what makes him so unique, that combination of talent and intimidation. What good is it if rarely used.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I'd extend him for 5 years at 6m per. That'd give Krejci his LW for the rest of his contract.

Then it'd be Marchand and a 5 year deal to keep him on Bergeron's LW. You also get a lot of expiring contracts around the time the next CBA comes around to re-up whoever it is you want signed in the future.

The core up front becomes Lucic / Krejci / Pasta, Marchand / Bergeron. Hopefully Spooner and Connolly prove themselves to be part of the core going forward as well.

The core on the blue line moving forward is built around Hamilton, Krug, and Morrow. with other guys (Arnesson?) coming up as Chara and Seidenberg age out.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I know we go back and forth ripping these guys for their transgressions, including being invisible and or more trouble than they're worth, but I'd have a really hard time choosing between Lucic and Marchand. Both are maddening at times. Both would be very hard to replace. But when it comes down to assessing value, I'd have them pretty close. So if Marchand is at 4.5 now, Lucic should be in the ballpark. $6m was too high for him, and would still be too high for him next time around.

Keep #63 ainec for me

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trade him. Whoever resigns/signs him for 7x7 is going to regret it for atleast 5 years.

Give that type of money to Lucic and we can kiss any chance of a rebuild goodbye.

As to the people who said the fans will start searching for a new Lucic type -- Yes, we could do that after Lucic gets traded. Searching for a young and hungry version of Lucic is no bad thing. The old complacent one sucks.

That 7/7 would kill us, not right away but those years when he's 32-34y powerforward with 7M cap hit, he's probably a 3rd line lwe at that point.

Couldn't agree more. $6M a year is a way overpayment for what Lucic brings to the table. Lets face it when was the last time Lucic changed or took over a game? Been a loooooong time. There was a pre-contract Looch and a post-contract Looch. Lucic is a $4m a year max player.

It's going to be very hard to make a deal with him if we miss they playoffs, playoffs are time to him to show that he can do it again,
if you go and give him the raise right now you're going to look real BAD.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
hell to the no. Lucic is already overpaid.
Last time I checked my raise is based off performance. The only way Lucic gets another raise is if he dislocates Komisarek's arm again and scores 25 goals.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I hope they go no higher than 5 years at $5.5 million per. And even that contract I wouldn't be thrilled with. If he doesn't agree to that, trade him.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If the new GM opts to move on from Lucic they need to sign Chris Stewart and bring in Tom Wilson. Brad Malone for the fourth line wouldn't bother me either and you have to resign McQuaid. So I'm not totally against moving Lucic but you need to replace him with a couple physical players.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If the new GM opts to move on from Lucic they need to sign Chris Stewart and bring in Tom Wilson. Brad Malone for the fourth line wouldn't bother me either and you have to resign McQuaid. So I'm not totally against moving Lucic but you need to replace him with a couple physical players.

And if they decide to move him, do you do it at the draft or at next year deadline day?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
And if they decide to move him, do you do it at the draft or at next year deadline day?

Great question. With everybody saying how deep this draft is you would want the extra picks he should bring, but you then have to worry about not getting players you may be targeting in free agency to replace him.

If you hold on and are having a great run next year do you still move him? What will he play like in a contract year? Will his value league wide be higher or lower because he will be a UFA?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I say yea, devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Lucic can play 1st line LW and play it well given he has support on his line. 6x6 isn't a bad deal for him and given how his replacement assuming would be free agency might not fit into the system he might be even worse value than lucic. I bet lucic in Dallas is a 35 goal scorer.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Sadly, no. After watching him the past two seasons he's simply not worth them money. However there will be a few teams out there who will be ready to pay top dollar for him.

If Milan is moved to a contender, a team that can skate and a team that hits and has one or two guys will to drop the gloves, and he is utilized correctly on a 2nd line as a power forward, WATCH OUT. We will see the old Milan Lucic back at it throwing his body, engaging in fights and competing each and every night.

We will be left sitting here wondering "where was that Milan Lucic when he was here?". The answer is simple, Milan plays down or up to his teammates and how his team is performing overall. He still has the skill and grit we've all seen and grown to love. But when the rest of his team isn't engaged emotionally or physically, neither is he. Milan Lucic is a solid hockey player but he's a follower, not a leader.

Based on the Bruin's strengths and weaknesses and the salary cap hell we are in and the current direction the team is going, shying away from physicality and focusing on finesse and speed, I would have to say that parting ways with Milan Lucic is the right move. No matter how frustrating it will be to see his game return on another team.

MilanKraft*

Why? He sucks...

Can find scrubs to put up the same production without all the stupidity...

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
He was overpaid to begin with. He should have been given the same deal Marchand got but PC decided to pay him on what he might become then what he was. He's not going to take a pay cut on his next deal so he should be moved.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass

3 fights this year one more then heavyweights Jordan Caron and Chris Kelly

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Fact is that San Jose, Anaheim, L.A., Calgary, and Colorado also give him decently quick flights back to Vancouver. But Vancouver isn't even home to him anymore. He has his own family now. And actually, if you want to use the Vancouver argument, the Canucks are a better fit.

Edmonton is one of the least desirable cities for players these days. Its almost always on the "no" list for guys.
I think it's safe to say Lucic and Vancouver are incompatible. There's the seething mutual hatred, then there's the bar fight in Vancouver, the harassment of his family...
A dark history between Lucic and his old home town.
Edmonton is one of the worst run franchises ever. I don't think anyone really wants to go there.
Calgary?
Winnipeg?

I could see Lucic doing well with St Louis or San Jose. Big teams need big guys to pound people. Lucic can do this consistently.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
When was the last time a pro athlete in his prime took a pay cut?
All I can think of is Lebron, Wade and Bosch with the Miami Heat. They each took a pay cut from their current team to make room for each other on Miami.

Then again, the money was over 15 mil each anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00